Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Bandit

Reaction score
Hey all, Its going to be my first attempt at an all-grain brew of stout, just want to see what u guys think.

For a 23L batch
5kg 2-row pale malt
1kg light Munich malt
500g Chocolate Malt
200g Roasted Barley
300g Crystal (dark)

20g 9.5%AA Northern Brewer @ 80 min
3 x 15g 6.3%AA Cascade @ 30,15 and 1min

1 sachet of Brew Cellar English Ale yeast
100g Cocoa Powder
200g of Lactose Sugar (not sure if this is a good amount)
1 tablet of whirfloc

I'm aiming for about 5.5-6% ABV, with a FG of around 1.018 - 1.028
was also considering a tbs of vanilla essence @ secondary

Cheers :beer:

That's gonna be one serious stout mate! Have you ever done anything like that before?

I'm estimating that amount of grain will give you over 7% ABV, and very heavy/dark colour. In fact, I would strongly suggest some changes downwards.

not too sure what yorur efficency is butit looks a 7, nothing wrong with that :)

I would increase the cocoa powder, decrease the choc malt, dump the cascade, maybe a bit more roast ?

If you look in the recipe DB there maybe a choc stout there ?

good luck, would love to try it as I'm planning on one as well :)

I'm more concerned with the choice of 'cascade' Dark grains and the 'c' hops just don't mix(most of the time) IMHO . Maybe consider another variety ,with more subtelty,to let the choc/cocoa aromas to shine :beer:

Im in the process of designing a triple choc stout recipe at the moment, its coming together well.

when you say choc stout recipe do you want to make a stout that taste like choclate. is that the aim mate. dumb question but just want to know

Im in the process of designing a triple choc stout recipe at the moment, its coming together well.

Hmm that reminds me to go and grab a stubbie of the 13.5% triple choc stout and put in the fridge for friday.

when you say choc stout recipe do you want to make a stout that taste like choclate. is that the aim mate. dumb question but just want to know

Yeah thats the aim mate, i will use cocoa and lindt choc in large amounts, also a few other special ingredients

The Flying Dog Gonzo imperial porter has flavor and aroma additions of Cascade in it, bur it's not a chocolatey driven beer... Not sure if Cascade and a dark chocolatey style beer are at home together really or what your thoughts were here? Unless you just had the hops on hand? That recipe looks something like what a imperial cascadian dark chocolate ale would be, if there was such a thing...:p

For a chocolate style stout, I'd be more inclined to bitter with EKG and add a flavor addition of Fuggles to about 40-50 IBU, given the ~7% malt bill. Be careful with the cocoa too, the most accepted school of thought is it's best added at secondary to avoid fermentation and flavor issues. Also be careful adding chocolate to the boil as the fats can also play havoc with fermentation.

One of the best chocolate porters on the planet is brewed here in the Hunter by Hunter Beer Co, and I'm pretty sure Kieth achieves his chocolate driven flavour profile with his combination of dark grains alone.

Hope this helps

I've made quite a few of this choc stout recipe:
http://roguechocolatestout.blogspot.com/20...late-stout.html
Rogue chocolate stout.
Tasted it at the Wheatsheaf in Adelaide one night and loved it
Not far off what your aiming at.
Quite heavy on the Cascade but balances well with the dark malts.
As far as chocolate extract, I use a 25ml (i think) bottle of chocolate essence in the keg.
Tried some cocoa powder once but the beer turned out cloudy as mud.
Definately recommend the essence. Available at most supermarkets.
One of mine and my friends favourite brews.
I'll be doing a few soon in preperation for winter.

Not sure about cascade.....but dark chocolate and orange are a classic match....maybe amarillo would be better if this is something you are looking to achieve?

Good thing i asked. Lots of replies on dumping the cascade (had it on hand). going to get some Fuggles and goldings in. BTW i get all my stuff from the local home-brew shop http://www.asquithhomebrewing.com.au
was really looking for a stout with a noticeable chocolate hint, might go with the essence like what puffer said. I also might drop a kg of the Pale Malt, add another 100g of roast, dump 150g of chocmalt.

If chocolate is the main thing you want out of it, I've used this recipe a few times to produce a good chocolate-y beer.

Cheers,
tallie

Back