Choclate Stout Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For a few weeks now i have been planning to make a stout with choclate added to it. i made a normal coopers stout and it turned out great over a year ago.

i am wanting a choclate tast to it but dont know what to really add to a coopers stout. Here is what i came up with

- 1 can of Coopers Stout
- 1kg of coopers enhancer (dont know which one yet one good for stout.)
- 500g Dark malt extract
- 250g of choclate Malt grains
- 500g of Lactose
- dark cooking compounded chocolate (dont know how much yet many a whole block but will melt and add to brew with everything else
- cooper yeast that come with the can

you think this will turn out good

maybe also add choclate topping maybe 200 mils if need be to get the choc flavourout of the stout

Don't know about chocolate I'll leave that to somebody else but go for BE2 in the stout as it has some malt extract always better to get some extra body.

The recipe looks fine except contrary to its name Chocolate malt steeped at 65C gives more of a bitter coffee taste than chocolate. Bairds Chocolate Malt

Not sure you need 500g of Lactose but somebody else will advise on that.

I do not add any sweetners to my stout I like them dark and bitter. The Coopers Stout and Dark Ale toucan makes one hell of a nice stout.

Edit: link to grain.

I would change a couple of things

- 1 can of Coopers Stout
- 1kg of coopers enhancer . I would swap this for 750g dry malt extract and 250 sugar
- 500g Dark malt extract
- 250g of choclate Malt grains I would make it 300g of choc and 200g of roast at this stage
- 500g of Lactose I am not a big fan of lactose if you want it to end sweeter use a less attenuative yeast like windsor.
- dark cooking compounded chocolate (dont know how much yet many a whole block but will melt and add to brew with everything else I would wait for day 2 or 3 of fermentation then steep another 500g of chocolate malt grains then boil for 40min and add 300g of 80% chocolate and let it simmer for 5 min, cool and add to fermenter
- cooper yeast that come with the can I would definately use a different yeast either windsor for reasons stated above or s04.

Cheers Brad

- 1 can of Coopers Stout
- 1kg of coopers enhancer . I would swap this for 750g dry malt extract and 250 sugar
- 500g Dark malt extract
- 250g of choclate Malt grains I would make it 300g of choc and 200g of roast at this stage
- 500g of Lactose I am not a big fan of lactose if you want it to end sweeter use a less attenuative yeast like windsor.
- dark cooking compounded chocolate (dont know how much yet many a whole block but will melt and add to brew with everything else I would wait for day 2 or 3 of fermentation then steep another 500g of chocolate malt grains then boil for 40min and add 300g of 80% chocolate and let it simmer for 5 min, cool and add to fermenter
- cooper yeast that come with the can I would definately use a different yeast either windsor for reasons stated above or s04.

Cheers Brad

oh do i have to boil the choclate Malt. i know the one i bought is lightly rostered. and i didn't know you can add things to it after 2 or 3 days of fermentation i was going to do it at the start and thats it.

oh do i have to boil the choclate Malt. i know the one i bought is lightly rostered. and i didn't know you can add things to it after 2 or 3 days of fermentation i was going to do it at the start and thats it.

Basicaly you first need to steep the grains then boil the liquid you drain off them.
The boiling kills any nasties that are in the grain. Adding fermentables mid ferment is fine as long as it is clean and sterile, I find when I want a certain flavour to stand out I will add it after the intial ferment has started as yeast can not only chew up the sugars but can also take away some flavours.

Cheers

I've never done this, but I'm thinking the oil in the chocolate might not be a good thing to add to beer? 80% has minimal oils/fats I guess, but would he be better off adding some good cocoa powder instead? Or will it not dissolve without the oils?

It really depends on what chocolate you use. I brew a chocolate porter that I have put varying amounts of different types of chocolate in. I find the Lindt 85% cocoa works the best, but don't use anymore than 100gr. Even at that much the oily sweetness of the residual chocolate becomes cloying... kinda like a Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, if you know what I mean.... but YMMV... if you read the thread that recipe is in, you'll not another brewer had no luck with 150gr of some other dark chocolate and there is also some good info from Hogan about adding chocolate to the ferment.

Hope this helps

Regarding the 500 grams of lactose - just some food for thought here - I used one US pound [454g] in a milk stout I made a few years ago, with the Coopers Irish Stout as it's base. If I had to do it over again, I'd only use half that amount. It was a bit too sweet for my taste, although by the time the keg was empty it had dissipated a bit.

Hey all,
I am making my version of a Youngs Chocolate on friday. Have done some reading on here and worked out using ian spread sheet this recipe

1.5kg LME (light)
1.5kg LME (dark)
200g Chocolate crystal 600
500g maltdextrine

45min boil 6L
50g fuggles 45min
20g goldings 30min
100g dark chocolate 5min
20g goldings 0min

Should I be adding the dark chocolate at this stage or will it lose its flavour during the ferment should I add it to secondary during racking

Cheers Stu

I made this and it has turned out great it did take a few weeks in the bottle to really develop the chocolate flavour.
the chocolate was lindt 85% added to the boil
yeast used safale SO4

Cheers Stu

Regarding the 500 grams of lactose - just some food for thought here - I used one US pound [454g] in a milk stout I made a few years ago, with the Coopers Irish Stout as it's base. If I had to do it over again, I'd only use half that amount. It was a bit too sweet for my taste, although by the time the keg was empty it had dissipated a bit.

yea i sort of thought i should add less

- 1 can of Coopers Stout
- 500g Dark malt extract

Cheers Brad

Brad when you say you would add 300g of choc and 200g of roast at this. what does that mean. what is the roast that you are talking about do you mean 300g of choc malt and 200g of another grain

Back