Choc stout Coopers kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoCrows

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing a Stout ,

I have the ingredients as follows for a 21 litre ferment.

1.7 kg Cooper original Stout

0.470 kg of Organic Spiral Blackstrap Molasses

1.0 kg Dark Dry malt

0.200 kg of Choc malt grains 600 ebc

0.150 kg Crystal malt grains 60 ebc

0.300 kg of Dextrose

50 ml of Pure Choc Extract

15 ml of Vanilla Extract

20 gram of Fuggles @ flameout

1 pkt Nottingham Yeast

There are lots of recipes out there....

Would this recipe work out and what are your thoughts ??? Cheers

Have you used escences before?

The OG is going to be high. Think about 2 packets of yeast.

What are you boiling?

More hops won't hurt I've found. Short boil times and only partial boils don't lend much bitterness but you can get more flavour with more grams!

I'd just use Light DME instead of dark to get an extra point or two of attenuation.

I had not seen this , so thanks .
Looked at a lot of recipes and compiled this form them so to speak.

On the kit designer spread sheet with or without the molasses 1.047 sg and fg 1.011

It would be touch and go with two pkt's needed?

LDME would be better.
I have not used essence before and may start out using less and add more to taste , say 30 grams.

It'll be fine with 1 packet.

I over guestimated.

Over 1060 I'd use 2 packets.

I have two pkt 's if it gets stuck.

Boil 500 gram ldme and grains to sanitize. Add more hops. I have Fuggles 50 gram and Saaz 50 gram

Put all 50 Fuggles? :D

Why not?! Use it all its like an extra $3. But not the saaz. Leave that for something else.

Don't boil grains!

Put them in a plastic bag. Rolling pin over them to crack them. Steep them in a big pot @ roughly 60 to 70 degrees. You're not mashing so it doesn't matter but warm water will help.

Strain the grains OUT.

Bring to boil with light DME (not the can contents - don't boil these).

5 minutes won't add much bitterness. Boil hops for this. The kit itself is going to be 57 IBUs already. Just want flavour.

Thanks for your input, I will give this a go with 50 gram of Fuggles at whirlpool.

I Might forget the molasses and see what shines out from the grains. Just too play it safe.

I'd use the DDME, choc and dex, leave the molasses and the crystal 60 out.
Either cold steep the grains in water over night in the fridge or hot steep as spryie suggests. Either way the grains need to be cracked if not already done.
Don't know about the choc or vinilla extracts as I have never used them.
I'd do 25g fuggles at flame out (15 min steep min) then day 4 or 5 do a 25g dry hop.
The pack of notto should do the job.

Choc malt adds a deep. rich chocolate-coffee flavour. The essences will add an artificial sort of flavour. I my opinion (IMHO) I would leave out essences and molasses and give priority to an all malt beer which you can achieve all the flavours you are looking for. The hops are very secondary in this style, you're only adding a background level of bitterness so use Magnum or something that is IF you want the choc, malty stout like flavours to dominate and not hops.

Up to you . . .

Agree with labels. When I first started extract brewing, I thought more, more, bigger, richer.

It's easy to end up with an overcomplicated and underattenuated disappointment.

Build up from a pale base, same as if designing an AG brew. Brew and if you find it lacks, brew again and add in your extras next time. Easy to add, hard to take out.

Thank you all for the input. Never done a stout and wanted to pack as much as I could in. I will take on the advice a keep it relatively simple.
Cheers.

Hey for a first time stout, you can't really go past the Cooper's Irish stout as-is, very basic, simple and yummy stout.
There you'll get a baseline to work with, add bits and pieces to the next one and so on.
You do know that old saying?
Once you go black.....

Happy brewing mate.
Brock

I ended up with this....

1.7 kg Cooper original Stout

0.5 kg Dark Dry malt
0.5 kg Light Dry malt

0.100 kg of Choc malt grains 600 ebc

0.300 kg of Dextrose

20 gram of Fuggles @ flameout 80 degrees

1 pkt Nottingham Yeast

Fermented at 17.5 degrees and will increase in steps to 20 degree after krausen.

It went well,

I also added 0.100 Kg of rolled oats and steeped them with the grains overnight.

The Nottingham fermented in 4-5 days, It started on the 26/4 raised then 19.5 degress and bottled 5/5. I didn't cold crash.

I bottled this on Friday and tasted pretty good out of the fermenter. Tasted choccy and not sour or bitter, I think the whirlpool hops helped ?
At flame out I added the Fuggles to the boil to sanitise and then added cold water to 80 degrees to rest for 10 mins.

Bottle primed half what I normally use in Pale Ales.

Will try one in 3 weeks, I would like to leave these for 2 months minimum.

Latest posts

Back