Chilling vs No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you chill or no chill after boiling

• Chill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Chill

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
if kittens werent ice skating on a lacto infection then it should be ok

Judanero said:
I no chilled about 3 brews ago- Terribly hung over on the Sunday so the brew day got pushed back a couple hours...

I don't have a tap on my kettle so I just cleaned up a small saucepan and chucked it in the boiling wort for the last 15 mins of the boil, fished it out at flameout and after letting the wort rest for ten mins, started scooping and pouring into the waiting funnel and jerry can. ~20L scooped into jerry in about 5 mins.

Pitched my starter the next day. Too easy! Just wondering though if this is an ok way to transfer the wort sans kettle tap? I got no infection but don't know if I'm running the gauntlet so to speak. :unsure:
A better way is to use some heavy duty silicon tube and a jiggle siphon starter

S/S AUTO SIPHON HOSE TIP

siphon%20tip.jpg

SILICONE HOSE 1/2 " HEAVY DUTY PER METER * OUT OF STOCK*

always chilled, only no chilled 2 batches and didnt really like the way it muted the late hops

lucky enough to have a bore though so my wort is chilled to 18 - 20c all year round and no wastage
the way i have my rig set up though it wouldnt be any quicker to fill a no chill cube than run it through the chiller

No chill, no tap no jiggler, just silicon hose and my thumb straight into the cube that I later ferment in, couldn't be easier.

Lemon

Surprising results so far, I would have thought most people would chill

I chill, had some cracking no-chill beers made by others, but I reckon my brews are better since getting a chiller,

(having said that. I should do another no-chill and see if its because of the chiller or my brewing skills have increased,)

Wouldn't mind seeing more options to really break up the demographics:

• Used to no chill, now upgraded.
  • Mix of both based on circumstance.
  • Would never, ever, no way no-chill.

I no-chill, but will change that soon.. unless someone can lean me a sure fire method way to control bitterness, hop flav & aroma..

Currently no-chill but I am looking at chilling options for Pales, APA's and IPA's and anything else with decent late hop additions.

can i get some clarification on both? is there a time factor? i use an ice bath soon after flameout, because i don't have a copper tube chiller or other hectic chiller; does that technically mean i no chill? or is ice bath chilling too. it usually only takes 20 mins to an hour with that method for me.

I no chill only because of the water wastage issue. I don't have a tank. I reckon the swimming pool idea is good but unfortunately I don't have one at this house as the last house had one and hardly got used due to A/C and good insulation so we didn't bother this time around. If I had a pool or a tank I reckon I would chill for sure and certain!

Ah! Reason behind chilling.... I like it
Pleasure Master said:
I no-chill, but will change that soon.. unless someone can lean me a sure fire method way to control bitterness, hop flav & aroma..
jayahhdee said:
Currently no-chill but I am looking at chilling options for Pales, APA's and IPA's and anything else with decent late hop additions.
Btw I chill...

Even though the subject's been flogged like a rented mule, I'd be interested to hear what range we're talking about here - ie, wort at x temp was chilled to y temp in z minutes, and to that end, if you're outside those parameters, then are you really just wasting your time?

For example, I dunk my cubes in our 100,000 L water tank and call that 'chilled'.
Am I really just a no chiller who likes to watch his cubes bob around in a water tank?

Back