Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers. Yeah I have a tomato plant about 1m away, it seems to be doing really well though, pumping out the fruit. The plant with leaf curl has never fruited.. it almost did before it got curl but the little buds dried up and fell off.

I've the same Liam... heaps of tomatoes near the chillies... I have a bit of leaf curl, but I'm just feeding them up to be higher than the grass hoppers... only Jalapenos are affected, scotchies and habs and birds eyes are OK.

Haven't read the whole thread but did notice in the first couple of pages a recipe for the Mango Chilli sauce i use. I got mine of the web too, it's called Baja sauce. Comes up a treat and i cook it up every year...

Forgot the piccie.

mangochilisauce1.jpg

Cube......... how hot is the 7 Pot paste?

Mine are still small and jjust starting to flower this year. I didnt get time or motivation to re pot them and they are suffering.

I still have a shopping bag full of them in the freezer so any fresh ones that survive the fruit fly onslaught (traps are filling up with the ******* canetoads) will be a bonus.

The 11 deg nights and 23 deg days are NOT helping the superhot plants either...... and they are all superhots :)

cheers

Hi Tony.

Really hot mate. I used about 12 pods from last season and the big ones from this season. Most were about 50 cent big, some golf ball so a good size and some right down to really small like 10mm round. Small ones were the first round of flowers. I'd put it maybe a little hotter than the Bhuts from last harvest. I have about 20 odd bigish ones ripening up now so that is good. I'm way to scared to lick any of it even the outside of the baggie is nuclear where I touched it making it. The devils tongues have about 40-50 ready in a week to pick also so going great on the gold coast. The swinging temps are up here too but not as bad as you.

One Bhut plant is looking sad so I will toss it as it has struggled and I think I have leaf curl disease now. Reading more into it the last few days they might be ok if I chop them right back like overwintering them as it may just be in the leaves and not IN the plant. All the super hots are from the seeds you sent about 2.5 years ago so they have done really well. My fav's are defiantly the citrus ones like devils tongues etc. I have a 10 month old boy now and looks like he's going to be walking next month or so so the super hots may have to go for a few years. Lets hope I have a bumper season now and can store plenty!

Awsome stuff mate.

THis just reminded me...... my fruit fly traps has stopped killing ******* Qld'rs so i just renewed the baits....... let the slaughter contunue!

I just found a few Raja Mirch Naga's developing but they wont be so hot with nothing but 23 deg days.

Im loving the temperature, its saving me a fortune in power, but my chillis and Saison are struggling :(

cheers

Awsome stuff mate.

THis just reminded me...... my fruit fly traps has stopped killing ******* Qld'rs so i just renewed the baits....... let the slaughter contunue!

I just found a few Raja Mirch Naga's developing but they wont be so hot with nothing but 23 deg days.

Im loving the temperature, its saving me a fortune in power, but my chillis and Saison are struggling :(

cheers

After the dry hot month we've had here in SE Qld, the chillies are as hot as my mother in laws undies. Just as painful too I'd reckon. Hope to get some Nagas in the groud in the next few weeks - swap for some bishops hat seeds anyone?

InCider.

Hi All

I've been chasing some chillis to make some chilli sauce with but my habs aren't producing as much. Could some people give me the names of some heavy fruiting/large fruiting varieties out there to make some sauce with?

Thanks

Hughezy

Hi All

I've been chasing some chillis to make some chilli sauce with but my habs aren't producing as much. Could some people give me the names of some heavy fruiting/large fruiting varieties out there to make some sauce with?

Thanks

Hughezy

Hey Hughezy - are your plants this season or a couple of years old? I have found much more fruit on my 2nd year plants and the pods are double the size.

If you want volume, grow birds eyes for sauce and flavour with the few habs/bonnets/bhuts that you have too.

S.
hab.jpg

Hi All

Thanks

Hughezy

Devils tongues for the sauce mate. A relative to the habs but a lot hotter and tastier. About 800,000+ SHU IIRC. A real citrus twang to them. Bhut Jolokias can be large but seriously hot. Fantastic in sauces.

The hotter the chilli the hotter the climate it wants to grow in. Just my observation with growing the things. You could try Birds eye. They fruit like crazy and are hot enough in sauces if you uses handfuls of them. Not so tasty thou.

Yeah I have birdseyes growing atm, however I find it takes about a sandwich bag of them to make my sauce recipe.

My habs are in it's second season, it looks like it's producing a little more but smaller fruit( they are still green at the moment) any tips?

Thanks

Hughezy

Devils tongues for the sauce mate. A relative to the habs but a lot hotter and tastier. About 800,000+ SHU IIRC. A real citrus twang to them. Bhut Jolokias can be large but seriously hot. Fantastic in sauces.

The hotter the chilli the hotter the climate it wants to grow in. Just my observation with growing the things. You could try Birds eye. They fruit like crazy and are hot enough in sauces if you uses handfuls of them. Not so tasty thou.

Those Devils sound like the go Cube - might have to get some from THSC where I got my Scorpions :)

Hey

I was thinking of moving my birdseye trees which are fairly established, any tips/things to watch out for?

Thanks

Hughezy

Anyone tried this stuff? a workmate put me on to it and I love it. It's not that hot that you can't use a lot of it but it can still get a sweat up (the tragics here will probably scoff at it) The coconut and curry add a nice touch, great with steak

DSC03352.JPG

cheers

Browndog

Anyone tried this stuff? a workmate put me on to it and I love it. It's not that hot that you can't use a lot of it but it can still get a sweat up (the tragics here will probably scoff at it) The coconut and curry add a nice touch, great with steak

View attachment 51309

cheers

Browndog

Hey BD - it's divine - they have it at Hog's Breath on of of their steaks that I get every time I go. Can't get enough :)

Hey Tony & Cube (et al),

My 7pot tree (second season) is suffering this year. Thanks for the seeds Tony, you rock.

What do you use to catch the fruit flies? Home made contraption? Something u can buy?

Anyway, the first year was a CRACKER, 7pots galore, this season the tree looks like it has nothing left in it, leaves are tiny, no fruit, just spied 2 smallish 7pots on it today, sneaky fkers, but the tree isnt the best. Its in a medium post 30cm or so. I should put it in the ground.

Today I planted 3 Butch T seeds, 3 7pots, 6 birdseye and 6 Thai basil seeds....Thai Basil....yummmmm. Goes so well with my Kaffir Lime tree. Which has the orange spot bug, those guy suck BADLY, only confidor would get the buggers!

Rendo

Awsome stuff mate.

cheers

Hey Tony & Cube (et al),

My 7pot tree (second season) is suffering this year. Thanks for the seeds Tony, you rock.

What do you use to catch the fruit flies? Home made contraption? Something u can buy?

Rendo

I use a two prong approach. One is to catch the randy male fruit fly with a pheromone trap before he hooks up with the female and the other is a paste to just wipe out any fruit flies. The real key is to kill the males before they impregnate the ladies. No point killing all the males after they have had their way with the ladies and then the ladies sting the fruit regardless if daddy is around or not.

I'll post tomorrow exactly what I use but both are available from bunnings. One is 'chinese food tray' type trap and the other is a eco-oil product that you can spray on plants or 'past around' the garden on plastic surfaces etc. I lost all my 7 pots last season and 99% my bhuts. This time around 99% all mine MUAHAHAHAH... take that bitch fruit flies!

Thanks Cube, I am looking forward to your more detailted post tomorrow.

I lost only a few to fruit flies, man I'd be pissed if I lost them all!!

Rendo

I use a two prong approach. One is to catch the randy male fruit fly with a pheromone trap before he hooks up with the female and the other is a paste to just wipe out any fruit flies. The real key is to kill the males before they impregnate the ladies. No point killing all the males after they have had their way with the ladies and then the ladies sting the fruit regardless if daddy is around or not.

I'll post tomorrow exactly what I use but both are available from bunnings. One is 'chinese food tray' type trap and the other is a eco-oil product that you can spray on plants or 'past around' the garden on plastic surfaces etc. I lost all my 7 pots last season and 99% my bhuts. This time around 99% all mine MUAHAHAHAH... take that bitch fruit flies!

rendo the pheromone traps are searls fruit fly traps. They look like a tampon on a zip tie inside a chinese food container. I have three around the back yard. I just buy the refills now and make my own containers out of, ahem, chinese food containers or tupperware as it's cheaper. The ones that come with the whole kit degrades in the sun after a year and the lids just fall off letting in rain etc to the tampon trap.
The other is a eco naturelure. A malty looking product you dilute to use. I just brush it on plastic surfaces around the back yard like old paint lids or plastic anything.

I just moved house to a place with loads of gardens, so the first thing I did was raid our spices, prepped a small bed and planted all available corriander (300g of seeds) and half a bag of crushed dried chilli (perhaps 100g) under straw mulch, corriander is already coming through. Hopefully I will have some basic variety(/ies?) growing soon. I am assuming that they would have to be some kind of heavy cropping variety with medium heat to be sold in such bulk quantities.

Now I just need some tasty Habs. At this stage of my life, they provide plenty of heat. I would also like some less hot ones so I can include them in food for the other half.

The other is a eco naturelure. A malty looking product you dilute to use. I just brush it on plastic surfaces around the back yard like old paint lids or plastic anything.

Econaturelure is a great product, used (as you pointed out) concurrently with another fruitfly control method. It contains a checmical fruitfly attractant along with a natural insecticide (spinosad) which attacks the fly's nervous system. It targets both male and female flies, which is beneficial as others use pheremones which only target a single sex. Additionally, you can avoid spraying the plants altogether by spraying it on a large board or a fence near the fruit.

On the downside, it's pretty expensive and needs to be applied weekly or after rain. And I'd recommend using it in conjunction with other control methods. We used econaturelure exclusively this year and lost all our apples, however chillis and capsicums went untouched.

Latest posts

Back