Chilli! All Things Chillies.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tenner is on a some sort of berry-ish type plant. I can't think of any chilli that grows anything remotely like that. Leaves do not even look chilli like.

Edit: Does your mate live next to nuclear power plant?

Couple of plant pic time. Had a few problems with one 7 pot with yellowing and dropping leaves. One in particular was effected but is bearing fruit none the less, albeit smaller size. Have been treating this one with epsom salts over the last 3 weeks and it is indeed coming back and now holding onto its leaves, even in strong winds. Harvested 8 devils tongues, 4 bhut jolokias and six small 7 pots the other day. Most of the pods are smallish but one 7 pot plant is loaded with ripening/about to ripen nuggets of pain....... Goats weeds are well on their ways and thai hots almost ripe.....

semi-sick 7 pot with small pods ( picked six the other day that were ripe ); ...at smallest one and regret it even now......

IMAG0033.jpg

Devils Tongue (smallest of the two. Other is a monster loaded with green pods );

IMAG0034.jpg

Goats weeds two plants;
IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

Other 7 pot plant loaded...yeah!;

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

AWSOME!

Those Devil TOngues and 7's look like they are spot on what i had.

Mine are all looking very healthy and starting to flower. Oh man im gunna have some pain in my back yard :)

when one of those big 7's are ripe Cube...... cut it in half and take a pic for me.

cheers

AWSOME!

Those Devil TOngues and 7's look like they are spot on what i had.

Mine are all looking very healthy and starting to flower. Oh man im gunna have some pain in my back yard :)

when one of those big 7's are ripe Cube...... cut it in half and take a pic for me.

cheers

Will do Tony - except I have put about 12 in the freezer over the last 2 days. However, I had the biggest one on the plant with a little green to go red. Looking at it today it was going soft and maybe 'off'? on the top :( I have that on the bench now wondering what to do with it. I'll chop that in half tomorrow and pic it. it is, like the ones in the freezer, off the smaller sicker 7. The healthy 7 plant is going nuts and not far from ripe. I'll get those in half soon for a pic before drying:)

Will do Tony - except I have put about 12 in the freezer over the last 2 days. However, I had the biggest one on the plant with a little green to go red. Looking at it today it was going soft and maybe 'off'? on the top :( I have that on the bench now wondering what to do with it.

That could well be fruit fly. Cut it open and if its fill of little maggots then you have a fruit fly problem. They can absolutely destroy your entire crop. You can get some good controls. There's on called wild mais which is good for stopping the flies before they attach your crop but if they are already in there you may need something else.

Cheers
Dave

That could well be fruit fly. Cut it open and if its fill of little maggots then you have a fruit fly problem. They can absolutely destroy your entire crop. You can get some good controls. There's on called wild mais which is good for stopping the flies before they attach your crop but if they are already in there you may need something else.

Cheers
Dave

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm doning the gloves right now and chopping it in half. Will report , with pics soon!

I am so fucken pissed right now because one;

I had tried to upload a pic and response and no go for maybe 20 minutes.

DO NOT GET A 3 OR VODAFONE DONGLE INTERNET PEOPLE...... SO BAD WORSE THAN A 33.6 MODEM IN THE 1996 OR THERE ABOUTS..............

Ok, second after taking this pic ( and trying and waiting for over 20 mins to upload because 3 AND VODAFONE ARE SHIT for internet I have this to report.

Here is my 7 poy that is a bit 'soft on the top';

DSCF3071.jpg

I pop of the stalk to chop in half and a fag;maggot comes flying out!!!!! OH SHIT! Where fro here please people? Sprays, toss al or what? Fruit fly has initated war on my peppers and oranges and what/how do I kill these Mexican fuckers!????

I would have thought that the peppers would be to spicy for the fruit flys to eat.
Dont know how to fix your problem though, but someone will im sure

I pop of the stalk to chop in half and a fag;maggot comes flying out!!!!! OH SHIT! Where fro here please people? Sprays, toss al or what? Fruit fly has initated war on my peppers and oranges and what/how do I kill these Mexican fuckers!????

Bugger.

Fruit flies absolutely love chillis. Especially the hab types (like 7 pots).

The bad news is that most likely all the fruit on the bushes now has been affected. You need to make sure that the maggots inside don't mature. They mature by hiding in the soil after the fruit rots and drops off so make sure you pick the fruit before it falls off and if any does fall pick it up straight away. Dispose of it in the garbage not the green waste and definitely not the compost.

You need to spray your bushes to kill any fruit fly before they can affect any new fruit. I use some stuff called eco-naturalure. Its an organic one. It works by attracting the flys to a molasses type stuff and when they touch it it poisons them. Its good for ongoing infestations. I also use stuff called wild mais. You fill up traps with it and it attracts the male flies and kills them. The females aren't affected but without the males they can't breed and won't sting your fruit. Any current females around will still sting the fruit so you need the other stuff to kill them as well. Once you have things under control just the wild mais should keep on top of it.

You can expect to loose quite a bit of fruit until you get on top of things.

Cheers
Dave

no sprays needed!

i get these fruit fly baits from bunings and a local nursery. They are like a tampon hanging from a cable tie in a chinese food container.

http://www.searle.com.au/FruitFlypre.html

I hang then among my plants and count the dead each morning.

With these things ( i usually put 2 or 3 around in my garden) you will lose maybe 1 in 20 chilli's. I replace the wicks every 2 months and continue to murder the ******* quenslanders all summer!

I have 1 trap in my garden and need more! the one has about 15 dead boddies in it in the last couple of days as soon as it got warm they came out.

I tried the sprays but these work much better!

I recomend you pick all fruit and put it in a plastic bag. tie the bad up tight and put it all in the bin and start again with the baits.

Pick up all fruit and veg sitting on the ground too....... but unfortunalty they will keep coming from the neighbours so best set yourself to use the baits every year.

cheers

here are some of my chillis folks

Thai Sun

ThaiSun.jpg

Thai Super Hot

ThaiSuperhot.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion plant

TrinidadScorpion-1.jpg

Ricotto Red (and fruit fly trap)

RocottoRed.jpg

There are a shed load of plants and all are flowering..... and starting to fruit. More pics to come!

Cheers

no sprays needed!

i get these fruit fly baits from bunings and a local nursery. They are like a tampon hanging from a cable tie in a chinese food container.

http://www.searle.com.au/FruitFlypre.html

I hang then among my plants and count the dead each morning.

I've seen those. There is a similar thing put out bu the eco naturalure people. I find the wild mais is the absolute best thing ever for traps. Works far better than anything else I have used.

I spray as well as using the traps as I have fruit trees as well and if there is one thing fruit flies love more than my chillis its my peaches. They come from miles around to destroy my peaches. the baits do a good jib but I spray as well (organic spray so its not too bad) as a backup.

Cheers
Dave

Well this is the chillis I picked today to inspect for maggots. Top sideways are bhuts, all below are 7 pots. Devils tongues next and followed by goats weed. Every single 7 pot was infected and one bhut escaped the sting. All Devils Tongues and goats untouched!

chillis.jpg

Tony - that is exactly what I picked up at bunnings today. One of those traps. They were all out if the refills. Must be popular.

Oh well, lesson learned and the only mistake would be to let it happen again! I was soooo looking forward to those 7's. Buggar!

Nice plants Tony, looking great!

my plants are going off now that its finally warmed up.

here are some pics of some so far.

Bih Jalokia, Raja Mirch, and my Evil 7 Pod which has come back with avengence for its thrid year!

Bih_Jalokia.jpg

Raja_Mirch.jpg

7_Pod_Evil.jpg

7_Pod_Lots.jpg

Bastard_Qlders.jpg

A question for the chilli gurus, I have a jalapino with some nice big green fruit on it, one has turned red. For memory, I can't recall seeing red jalapinos anywhere, are they supposed to be picked while still green?

cheers

Browndog

PS, Cube, each one of your pics in that post up there is nearly 1mb, I would say that is why your complaining about your connection. Upload speeds are much slower than download. If you are going post pics you need to change the settings on your camera mate.

Red is the normal ripe colour for Jalapeno's. I am not sure what the fascination is with picking them green, but I let mine go red before collecting.

dreamboat

Red is the normal ripe colour for Jalapeno's. I am not sure what the fascination is with picking them green, but I let mine go red before collecting.

dreamboat

+1. Flavour and heat seem to develop as they ripen.

Well this is the chillis I picked today to inspect for maggots. Top sideways are bhuts, all below are 7 pots. Devils tongues next and followed by goats weed. Every single 7 pot was infected and one bhut escaped the sting. All Devils Tongues and goats untouched!

chillis.jpg

Tony - that is exactly what I picked up at bunnings today. One of those traps. They were all out if the refills. Must be popular.

Oh well, lesson learned and the only mistake would be to let it happen again! I was soooo looking forward to those 7's. Buggar!

Nice plants Tony, looking great!
Hey Cube
Sorry to hear about your infections.
I have some chillies that look the the same as your Devils Toungs but I have been told they are Orange Bhut's? (They have a very fruity flavour).

Cheers
Shonks

Chilli.jpg

Mmmmmm i dont know about orange Bhuts. THere are several african habanero styled chillis that look like that. Bonda is a name that comes to me. Bhuts dont have a very fruity flavour. They are more earthy and melt the inside out of your mouth.

Speaking of Bhut Jalokias............. i made a big batch of Madrass curry sauce ,seeing as i had a glut of home grown tomatoes.

Toms on the left..... do you think i used enough Bhuts?

tomsandbhuts.jpg

Home hand (blood sweat swearwords and tears) ground curry powder, mustard seeds and fresh curry leaves, strait from the tree

ingredients.jpg

the boiling broth

boilingbroth.jpg

and 7 bottles of joy.

sauceinbottles.jpg

Mmmmmm i dont know about orange Bhuts. THere are several african habanero styled chillis that look like that. Bonda is a name that comes to me. Bhuts dont have a very fruity flavour. They are more earthy and melt the inside out of your mouth.

Speaking of Bhut Jalokias............. i made a big batch of Madrass curry sauce ,seeing as i had a glut of home grown tomatoes.

Toms on the left..... do you think i used enough Bhuts?

tomsandbhuts.jpg

Home hand (blood sweat swearwords and tears) ground curry powder, mustard seeds and fresh curry leaves, strait from the tree

ingredients.jpg

the boiling broth

boilingbroth.jpg

and 7 bottles of joy.

sauceinbottles.jpg

Cheers Tony
Madras Sauce looks great, How much do you use per kilo of meat?

Cheers
Shonks

Latest posts

Back