Chill/protein Haze Or Not

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillywhite

Reaction score
I have suffered what I thought was my first bout of chill or protein haze, I have brewed over a dozen all grain beers and never suffered chill haze. My last two brews (a Pils and a ESB) both appeared to have chill haze but I also changed my recipe slightly and added hops into the secondary fermenter, being the first time I have dry hopped and never having suffered chill haze previously I am thinking it is the effect of dry hopping. Can anyone confirm that dry hopping can do/does this and is there anyway of dry hopping without getting the hazy beer?

Dry hopping can cause haze, I'm not sure if it's a hop oil haze or a polyphenol chill haze.

I have done a mini-experiment before with a dryhop followed by polyclar in the primary, which came out crystal clear (I racked the dregs into a demijohn ). Then racked into a secondary with a 2nd dry hop and subsequently bottled, which came out hazy.

Does the beer become clear at room temp?

The acids and oils in hops will make your beer hazy.

unlike haze from yeast and protein...... hop haze will not give you a bad flavour in the beer......... quite the opisite actually.

If i make a beer with a lot of late hops its usually hazy and if i filter it, the filter blocks up with lots of stuff that smells like hops, and the beer loses a bit of its hop character.

Buy a bottle of Brew Dog Pink IPA and you will find its highly hopped and hazy.

drink it, enjoy it and smile for the hops :)

The acids and oils in hops will make your beer hazy.

unlike haze from yeast and protein...... hop haze will not give you a bad flavour in the beer......... quite the opisite actually.

If i make a beer with a lot of late hops its usually hazy and if i filter it, the filter blocks up with lots of stuff that smells like hops, and the beer loses a bit of its hop character.

Buy a bottle of Brew Dog Pink IPA and you will find its highly hopped and hazy.

drink it, enjoy it and smile for the hops :)

Thanks Tony,

I am becoming a little bit of a hop addict hence the dry hopping experiment, so if I want the hops I have to accept hazy beer.

Do you keg or bottle your hoppy beers, the reason I ask is I keg mine and I am finding I'm not getting the hop explosion I am looking for when pouring a glass from the tap, but when I fill a couple bottles out of the keg for a BBQ at a mates place I do get the full aroma and flavour I am looking from the bottled stuff, have you experienced this?

I've read about hop haze and experienced apas etc containing it but I also brew an APAish thing around 57 IBU, dry hopped at 1g/L which comes out clear as a bell each time. No fining, no filtering - 7 days cold conditioning only. Other dry hopped beers I've made will also drop bright - same conditions.

If it stays hazy at room temp though it's definitely not chill haze (not to say it may not have chill haze as well) and hop oil haze would be my first guess also.

Do you cold condition at all?

Latest posts

Back