Chill Haze

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudy

Reaction score
hey all,

i hope i'm not asking people to repeat themselves but i have been searching for some answers in regards to controlling chill haze.

you go to all this trouble to make a nice clean beer then you put it in the fridge and it comes out looking like shit. :angry:

can anyone help me on this issue?

:icon_cheers

Cloudy.

hey all,

i hope i'm not asking people to repeat themselves but i have been searching for some answers in regards to controlling chill haze.

you go to all this trouble to make a nice clean beer then you put it in the fridge and it comes out looking like shit. :angry:

can anyone help me on this issue?

:icon_cheers

Cloudy.

Cloudy only you could ask a question on chill haze !!!

if you are doing AG then do a 90 minute vigorous boil that will destroy the proteins .

The Braidwood brewer we went to see boiled for two hours to get a chill haze free beer .

whilst this is long 90 min will improve it .

Pumpy:)

Ive tried a lot of things to reduce chill haze and with not much success, pretty much resigned to using finnings such as gelatine or polyclar.

There are a few good threads on this topic and I picked up this Brew Rats article from one of them.

Cloudy only you could ask a question on chill haze !!!

if you are doing AG then do a 90 minute vigorous boil that will destroy the proteins .

The Braidwood brewer we went to see boiled for two hours to get a chill haze free beer .

whilst this is long 90 min will improve it .

Pumpy:)

What Pumpy said Cloudy - and, sit your beer at 0c. for four days, use Polyclar and then filter.

Cheers, Hoges.

There are a few good threads on this topic and I picked up this Brew Rats article from one of them.

Good find Jye - very interesting article.

I too have had problems with cloudy beer - though the haze I am seeing is present even when beer is warm. Suspect mash pH as cannot get my efficiency above 70%. I have ordered some pH Stabiliser for next brew.

Cheers
Dave

Not wanting to start a chill V no chill debate, but palmer reckons here that lack of cold break is what forms chill haze - could be something to consider

Not wanting to start a chill V no chill debate, but palmer reckons here that lack of cold break is what forms chill haze - could be something to consider

Seems not to happen with my beers (all no-chill now). No idea why that doesn't happen though. :unsure:

Seems not to happen with my beers (all no-chill now). No idea why that doesn't happen though. :unsure:

Same here Stuster - I am a mini no-chill - leave my wort in the kettle till the next day, rack it off the break and pitch. Never had a chill haze problem. I put that down to 0c chilling, Polyclar and filtering. High pH of the mash and a lack of salts will also have an effect on brightness.

Cheers, Hoges.

Ditto! I have always suffered a chill haze problem, more so once I converted to a counterflow chiller direct into a conical fermenter. No decent cold break, so all the proteins end up being re-absorbed during the ferment.

I have recently kegged one of Tonys Australian Ale recipes, where I chilled it right down and put Polyclar in it. Whilst kegging, it looked pretty darn bright, so I am really keen on trying it on Friday (scheduled date for carbonating to be done).

If its bright, I am going to finish my conversion to Polyclar as a finning. It rescued a tannin polluted dunkelweizen (in another thread).

I do not want to get into filtering, just a couple more bits of equipment to wash/sterilize and more time of mine taken away.

Relax, enjoy your brew, if it tastes great, do not worry about it. It does take an effort to get on that mindset after drinking commercial brews, but, look at Coopers! Wonderful ale and its cloudy!

:beer:

Ditto! I have always suffered a chill haze problem, more so once I converted to a counterflow chiller direct into a conical fermenter. No decent cold break, so all the proteins end up being re-absorbed during the ferment.

I have recently kegged one of Tonys Australian Ale recipes, where I chilled it right down and put Polyclar in it. Whilst kegging, it looked pretty darn bright, so I am really keen on trying it on Friday (scheduled date for carbonating to be done).

If its bright, I am going to finish my conversion to Polyclar as a finning. It rescued a tannin polluted dunkelweizen (in another thread).

I do not want to get into filtering, just a couple more bits of equipment to wash/sterilize and more time of mine taken away.

Relax, enjoy your brew, if it tastes great, do not worry about it. It does take an effort to get on that mindset after drinking commercial brews, but, look at Coopers! Wonderful ale and its cloudy!

:beer:
Very interesting comments there Frazer_john. I use a plate cooler before the fermenter so the hot break stays in the boiler and the cold break forms in the line (or so I thought) and goes to the fermenter. I don't rack until after 7 days or so of primary fermentation. I don't have haze problems. :icon_cheers:

Haze material contains two major components – protein and polyphenol. As brewers we know that malt and hops are the two sources of polyphenols in beer..proteins are generally contributed by malt. But one case I have had a batch of NZ Cascades that through up such a haze guaranteed. To investigate further I brewed exactly the same beer - different hops.... and shazam !! clear beer vs cloudy beer.....Maybe look at your stock of hops ???

Just my 2c

Cheers
JSB

Haze material contains two major components protein and polyphenol. As brewers we know that malt and hops are the two sources of polyphenols in beer..proteins are generally contributed by malt. But one case I have had a batch of NZ Cascades that through up such a haze guaranteed. To investigate further I brewed exactly the same beer - different hops.... and shazam !! clear beer vs cloudy beer.....Maybe look at your stock of hops ???
Just my 2c

Cheers
JSB

If you happen to like brewing beer with tea in it, tea is also a huge source of ployphenols, and no adjustment to your brewing system will fix the haze you get from that.

Haze material contains two major components protein and polyphenol. As brewers we know that malt and hops are the two sources of polyphenols in beer..proteins are generally contributed by malt. But one case I have had a batch of NZ Cascades that through up such a haze guaranteed. To investigate further I brewed exactly the same beer - different hops.... and shazam !! clear beer vs cloudy beer.....Maybe look at your stock of hops ???
Just my 2c

Cheers
JSB

Hi JSB

Are you suggesting that it is the age/quality of the hops or the style of hops that may lead to increased polyphenols in the beer?

Regards
Jimmy

very interesting, thanks for the input blokes,

Cloudy.

All my AG beers have been no chill, and never had chill haze. All 90 min boils until recently. Never used finings. Just a whirlflock 15 before the end of boil, if i remember...

HI mate.... a bit of info on how you make your brew and what you use to make it might help.

AG is different to extract and kit brews.

I never had any chill haze in any kit or extract brew. I only started having problems with AG beers and it all ties dowm to mash pH, water chemistry, using finnings to clear the beer, good break in the boil, not dry hopping, good conversion %age...... ahhh i could go on for a long time but if you have chill haze with a kit brew.... I question if its chill haze. Ive been wrong before

ITs possible extract these days is not what it used to be. I know the drought has taken its toll and malt doesnt seem to have the depth it had a few years back.

let us know

cheers

no worries Tony, i'll be tapping my first keg on friday week. it will be interesting to see how that goes. have to get you to come over for a sample.

:icon_cheers:

let me know when its on tap mate.... will be glad to smaple it :)

youve got my number

cheers

As a trial
(I added 1/2 kgs Light Dried malt extract that I simmered for 10-15 minutes to a FWK and topped up to 25 Litres.
fermented with W34/70 for 8 days @ 12 degrees and racked to second
fermented for 10 days @ 10degrees rack to cube
Chilled to 1 degrees for a week and added finings 2 day prior to bulk prime and bottled.
I checked a bottle for carb after 2 week and even though it is not fully carbed it appeared quite clear and no evidence of chill haze.
2 days ago I put 2 bottles in the fridge at 1 degree and today they were really HAZY.

I know that chill haze gets worse with time.

Does chill haze accelarate with cold conditioning?

If so I may get really drunk the next couple fo days off :chug:

Back