Child Proof Kegerator And Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi

Reaction score
It was an awkward moment of pride and terror when my wife first saw our 3year old climb the bar and pour a perfect beer. Since then the lines have been disconnected which is starting to bug me. Unlocking (for obvious reasons it now needs to be locked also) and reconnecting the lines each time I want a beer is annoying and I don't think the kegs are holding gas as well because of it.
Any who I'm trying to plan a way to keep the kids from pulling the taps but won't be hard to access the beer myself. Has anyone else come up with anything for this?
My initial plans is for a collar to fit below he tap handle and would be held in place by the screwing down of the tap handles. The idea is that the collar would keep the tap from being pulled forward.
If I was tec savvy I'd include diagrams.
Anyway I was wondering whether there was anything else available or that someone may have made that works? Thoughts anyone?

There was a similar thread a few months back, don't recall the title.
My only thought is to just unscrew the tap handle but that doesn't guarantee no nasty surprises. Something physically preventing it sounds good, you can buy locks I think buy they're expensive/a hassle.

might be a bit pricey but i seen these a while back on ebay

beer tap lock

hope it helps
Thanks mate, I've shot the seller a few questions, my concern from looking at the images is that it might only stop forward pulling. With celli taps I need to avoid the taps being pushed back as well

Well, if it ain't broke don't fix it... Leave the tap alone... Your son on the other hand needs to be minus a few fingers! What's he going to be like by the time he's 18?

I have identical twin boys who were pulling me a beer at a similar age (political correctness aside). I switched to polycarbanate glasses for saftey. They wern't interested in drinking the beer, it was the novelty or pouring it. Anyway, the novelty wore off pretty quickly. I did have a rule established that they had to ask me and that I had to be there.

They are nine this year and the wife has caused bigger mishaps when she has decided to connect and pull a beer for her girl friends at 40psi carbing pressure. In fact one boy apoligised only last week for spilling some over into the drip tray. Would the wife do that?

Hirns
Point: It may not be worth the hassel if some ground rules are laid. Worked fine for me apart from the misses :icon_cheers: .

Beauty thanks hsb I'm now going to go something like nuggets suggested. The personal irony is that nuggets is the nickname of our youngest who seems to live to annoy his big brother (the beer puller)

As I said in the other thread, education is the key.....

My daughter (4yo) knows to not touch the taps on the keg fridge without me standing there watching her, unless they have soda water running through them (she is allowed to help herself to that).

I have never had an issue.

As I said in the other thread, education is the key.....

My daughter (4yo) knows to not touch the taps on the keg fridge without me standing there watching her, unless they have soda water running through them (she is allowed to help herself to that).

I have never had an issue.

I agree.... Use the same technique you would use to make sure your kid doesn't climb up on the stove and play with the pot of boiling water.

If we had to kid proof everything in the house there would be locks on everything and nothing would be useable..... At least the beer won't injur him but a few "reminders" and he'll quickly realise that he shouldn't be doing it!

id probably look at selling the kid... :ph34r:

D.J ... I am with you on that one ...PMSL ... but on a serious note the general population of Australia tend to look poorly on parents who put their kids on Ebay with no reserve !!

There have been many (read MANY) times I have thought about it and my kids are 10 and 4 ...

but the 10 yr old hates Jarrod Hayne and the 4 year old told me yesterday I look like Salada bin Laden !!!

Priceless...

Put your fridge on top of a box or set of draws or something to raise the level of the fridge.
This will mean you are pouring a beer at about your head height depending on what you put under the fridge.
Not many 3 year olds will reach that.
No locks, no disconnecting.
That is the height of my tap, kids never reach it and you get to watch your beer pour real close up.
Cheers.

teach your kid not to touch it. much simplier and cost effective. i had to do it with my kids. they got the message and have only mucked around with it twice.

Latest posts

Back