Chest Freezers.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
Do any of you folk use a chest freezer rather than a fridge for all your beer duties? My long suffering fridge will be unlikely to last another season and since freezers can be had for around the same money and be used to preserve bulk meat when not chilling kegs and cold conditioning, I figure it just makes more sense.
I'll be running it through the Fridgemate though most of the time of course, can anyone see a problem with this?

If you've got one set up, give us a look.

cheers.

Do any of you folk use a chest freezer rather than a fridge for all your beer duties? My long suffering fridge will be unlikely to last another season and since freezers can be had for around the same money and be used to preserve bulk meat when not chilling kegs and cold conditioning, I figure it just makes more sense.
I'll be running it through the Fridgemate though most of the time of course, can anyone see a problem with this?

cheers.

Freezer_w_fridgemate.jpg

Freezer_fermenters.jpg

You're not thinking about chopping up the mother-in-law and keeping her in with the porter keg are you?
The thermal mass should help save a few dollars.

I'm in a holding pattern waiting on a chest freezer to show up before building myself a 'Keezer', as I'm fed up with Fridge/Freezer setup, trying to shoehorn two kegs into the space.

I'm only planning on using if for serving/kegging though, I suppose you could CC in there too, I use another Fridge/Freezer to ferment/CC.

216L Fisher and Paykel. Kezzer duties only.

DSC02687_II.jpgDSC02684_II.jpg

few people ferment 60L fermenters in them. I think bluedog uses a hoist to get his fermenters in and out from memory. 50odd litres of wort is pretty heavy...

Chest freezer for conditioning and serving. theyre less energy intensive as they dont loose all theyre cold when you open the lid, unlike an upright "front-loader" fridge does.

sim

cheers.

conditioning and serving here, i use a bar mounted 'lucky 7' font so i drilled through the wall of the freezer to run the beer and gas lines, some pics here

beats the old fridge hands down

cheers

I have 1 chesty for serving, 1 chesty for fermenting and 1 fridge for conditioning/carbing/yeast slants keeper and hop storage.

You're not thinking about chopping up the mother-in-law and keeping her in with the porter keg are you?

No way.
She would impart way to much bitterness and astringency for a porter.

These kezzer's are a fcuking top idea, and the tap mounted on the lid lends a real touch of class.
Time to rape the old pay-pal account once more.

Back