check my recipe please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
hi all

do you think this will turn out good

1 x coopers real ale
1.5kg light DME

20g amarillo 10min
20g cascade 5min
20g galaxy dry hop or just some more amarillo/cascade

us-05

done to 21Lt it shows OG1.052 FG1.013 45IBU 5.1ABV in the keg

thanks
Lukas

20min you think?
at what rate?
it all ready got 33.3IBU from the kit

cheers

20 g cascade.Cascade's not that high in AA so a 20 min addition wont make it crazy bitter but should offset some of the residual sweetness of the 1.5 kg LDME and give a nice flavour hit.

ok changed to this and updated cascade AA% so works ok

20g cascade 20min
20g amarillo 10min
20g cascade 5min
20g galaxy dry hop

49IBU

wondering if I should go 1kg DME and add 500g dex to dry it out a bit?
is this how it works??

Depends what you like. The dex will thin the beer out a bit. The all malt option should turn out good to just a bit maltier , sweeter and a bit more body. As before using the 20 min addition will help tame the sweetness. I would go with the all malt but that's suited to my tastes.Could try it and see what you think and then you will know.

cheers.

wereprawn said:
Looks good to me. Could also use a 20 min addition.
Why?
I have made a few pales with only 15 or 10s and 5minutes.
45 Ibu as is is fine.

Why? I explained it pretty clearly above. I have made the same kit with the 20 min cascade and it turned out better IMO.

wereprawn said:
As before using the 20 min addition will help tame the sweetness.
Statement does not explain. Will, not why.
Bitterness counters sweetness. All grain beers are all malt, 45 IBU in a pale is plenty to offset sweetness.

Fair enough. 45 IBU is bitter enough for pale ale but adding the 20 min addition works better for me as I have found using all extract in many beers still to sweet without it.

thanks, will add keep the 20min addition as it will probably give a better depth of flavor

I would swap your 5 minutes Cascade for your 0 min Galaxy, will give a nicer finish IMO.
Other than that looks good.

lukasfab said:
it all ready got 33.3IBU from the kit
Where did you get that info from?

The Coopers website says that kit is 560 IBU.
560 / 21 = 26, not 33.3
It's not a big difference, but it's still good to get calculations right.

indica86 said:
And that in it's self is the wrong calculation.
IBU x weight/ volume.

ie

560 x 1.7/ 21 = 45.
That is a big difference and it's good to get calculations right.

http://www.coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/faqs/faqs/?fw2=fi6
You may be right, but if that's the case, someone should tell IanH because that's not how his spreadsheet calulates it.

I was pretty sure when the website says 560 IBU it means the whole can contains 560 IBU. Not 560 IBU/kg

Why whould anyone measure IBU in IBU/kg?

EDIT: A quick google shows that you're right. So sorry, my bad. But they should really make that clear that it's IBU/kg when they state it. As a scientist, I really can't forgive using an incorrect unit. If you mean IBU/kg, write it. If you measure a car's fuel consumption you don't just state "7 L", you state "7 L/100km". There's clearly a big difference.

ibu of kit came from Ians spread sheet, you would asume this is correct

will see how it turns out in the next couple weeks

Back