Cheap Reliable Pond Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supra-Jim

Reaction score
I'm after a nice little simple pond pump (ideally submersible) to run cooling water through my immersion chiller.

Ideally something cheap and cheerful and 1/2" hose connection. Probably something between 500-1000 l/hr.

Any suggestions, recommendation, ideas?

Cheers

SJ

Yep, start with something that moves at least twice the volume of water. 1000l/hr is only just over a cup of water a second flowing through your cooler, and I think you'll in practice find that unless your cooling water is really cold to begin with, it will be nowhere enough to provide the performance you need.

Yep, start with something that moves at least twice the volume of water. 1000l/hr is only just over a cup of water a second flowing through your cooler, and I think you'll in practice find that unless your cooling water is really cold to begin with, it will be nowhere enough to provide the performance you need.

I think my pump may be less than 1000L/hr and that does alright, although i do just use the hose for my first stage of cooling (about the volume of my HLT)

Go to your local hydro shop, they have cheap pond pumps. I bought one for my still, it was $10 for 1000L hr

Go to your local hydro shop, they have cheap pond pumps. I bought one for my still, it was $10 for 1000L hr

I got mine at Plastic Plumbing Supplies - use it to run water thru the font - works fine.

Hydro shops are the go for cheap pumps, if not, then eBay.

As for cooling the coolant, if you can get an Auto Trans oil cooler and run a small fan on the output of heat exchanger does work when limited water is available;
cooling.jpg

Can ADMIN delete 1 image please

Attachments

• cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 32
Yeah i had considered the idea of a tranny cooler and electic fan.

Thanks for the responses.

SJ

seach google for guppys aquaiuruim products.

i used to use a few pumps when i used to have a still used to run for 8hrs.

instead of one damm good pump to go through cooling coil and then through rad/tran cooler.
i used a cheaper one for my cooling cool and cheaper one for to run teh cooling process (a full car air con heater core with fan hooked up to an old car batt)

Related to this, does anyone know a ballpark what you can put though about 15m of 1/4 copper tube? That is what my immersion chiller is, and I am worried about burning the pump out... or should I just do it and chill out?

Back