• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Cheap Coffee Grinders @ Aldi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers for the heads up. Just what is on my shopping list at the moment!

At 80g capacity its gonna take a long time to mill 5KG of grain??? I've seen previous mentions of coffee grinders being used for grain mills, but my wife has one and its probably same size as the one at Aldi, I don't understand how you're supposed to use it (well I know how to grind coffee beans in it, what i mean is that I don't understand how to do a large volume).

At 80g capacity its gonna take a long time to mill 5KG of grain??? I've seen previous mentions of coffee grinders being used for grain mills, but my wife has one and its probably same size as the one at Aldi, I don't understand how you're supposed to use it (well I know how to grind coffee beans in it, what i mean is that I don't understand how to do a large volume).

Time and effort !

There is an entire generation of new AHB brewers who have been lead to believe that small volume stove-top brewing and BIAB are synonymous.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, if it gets more people started into AG brewing.

My concern with grinding a full batch grain bill to powder is all the mud at the end that's going to get through the bag. Im already having huge trub issues with standard cracking.

I made a Shakespeare Stout clone the other day using one of these to grind almost 6kg of grain down for a BIAB mash. Took me less than half an hour to do all the grain, once you get going with it you find a rhythm and it's really not that laborious at all.

It be even quicker if you went and sprinkled your grain out on the nearest freeway, wait 5 mins and then go and sweep it all up into your grain bucket.

A bunch of threads on this subject. Placed one below that's related, but there's too many to mention.

Related Thread

Short hand version of ground covered in AHB on this subject:

Coffee grinder + grain = blunt blades, over-heated appliance, a lot of time, chopped grain husk, stuck sparges (for all-grainers), loss of clarity and astringency issues in your final beer.

Getting your Homebrew store to crush it is cheaper than Aldi (Its free).

A Corona/Victoria Mill or Marga Mill are low priced grain mills that homebrewers have been using for decades to produce great beer and don't won't break the bank like Crankensteins and Monster Mills will. Coronas/Victorias cost around $60-$80. People diss them on this site but authors like Dave Miller have been singing their praises as a great entry point for years.

But coffee grinders are great for making coffee.

Hopper

Latest posts

Back