Cheap Barleywine experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffN

Reaction score
I started a Barleywine about 2 weeks ago.

I had bought a Woolies homebrand draught to pimp up with hops and a few extras for a cheap session beer, but reading about Barleywine thought I would give it a go.

Recipe
1 can Homebrand draght
250 g maltodextrine
250 g dextrose
250 g brown sugar.
Safale US-05 and kit yeast.
15 g Fuggles hops boiled for 10 minutes and allowed to cool in wort.
Total volume 8 litres.

US-05 was from a cider that had finished but I did not see any evidence of fermentation by day 3 so I added the kit yeast on day 3. Temperature was controlled at 17C.

I did a gravity check yesterday at 1.034. IanH's spreadsheet predicts a 1.030 finish. It is good. I liked the balance between malt sweetness, alcohol and bitterness. Slightly harsh finish but that will mellow once in the bottle.

I'm going to leave it for another 2 weeks before I bottle if the gravity remains stable.

Now I am thinking I should add some spices to it to make it more interesting. A little cinnamon and vanilla could be a good addition.

Bottled this a week ago. Now the long wait for it to mature. Tasted great out of the fermenter. Seems like a good balance between bitterness and sweetness.

Decided to try one tonight.

It is harsh at first. A little too bitter for the amount of sweetness. Alcohol taste is strong. Nothing has melded together.

After 10 or so mouthfulls it is better.

Everything I've read indicates 6 months before drinking a Barleywine, best I heed that advice.

Some spice will work well in this. Star Anise, clove, cardomon come to mind or a very fruity hop could work well.

Some more waiting has to happen. Will update when the inquisitiveness gives in for another taste.

I got inquisitive and opened one. Mmmm, getting better. Nicer balance between sweet and bitter. Could be cracking good in another 6 months. If they last that long. I may have to do another batch soon so that I'll have some when this batch runs out.

g'day geoff - rather than you talking to yourself I thought I'd chime in.

Nice one! I love a good barleywine but haven't had the balls to give one a crack yet. I'd be doing an AG version.

Let us know how it goes @ 6 months, if it lasts that long.

- Simo

All the neighbours liked this...

basicbrewingvideo.com

December 31, 2013 - Fruitcake Barleywine

(Simple & easy; I cut back on some base malt to lower the %)

Cheers...

Latest posts

Back