Changing Beer Qd' And Posts To Liquid.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pb unleaded

Reaction score
While gasing my keg by rocking it upside down I had this idea of changing gas posts and QD's to liquid (or vice versa). This will make gasing kegs a bit easier since every QD will fit every post. No need to turn kegs upside down.
Any thoughts on this before I swapp 'em?

Arthur,

If you are talking about putting your gas into the beer diptube side so you don't have to turn the keg upside down, then no swapping is needed :)

The grey inlet QD will in fact fit onto your outlet post, just give it a good shove...yes, I know from personal experience :super:

PZ.

I;ve heard this will damage them after a while, also they are a pain in the arse to get off. Why don't you just shove your gas line in your liquid QD?

We all know the world is held together with gaffa tape and zip ties...but lube makes things a lot easier :lol:

In other words, lube the posts/o-rings and it'll not cause a problem :)

PZ.

Whats the advantage in doing this?

I just hook the gas up and rock the keg with it still relatively upright 100 shakes and all my beer gas up ok.

Or am I missing the point?

Hi
I just use a spare Beer QD with a male flare fitting which attaches to a swivel nut and flare fitting.
Normally the gas QD is attached to this and when I want to gas a keg -
1. I turn the gas off
2. unsrew the gas QD and srew on the Beer QD
3. turn on the gas
4. attach the the beer QD to the beer outlet and rock away.

It is a good idea to have a one way valve on the gas lineto stop beer reaching your regulator.

Cheers Peter

Arthur
IMHO for the sake of the cost of a Beer QD , Gas QD and one swivel nut and flare fitting (about $30) it is easier than swapping all your gas or beer posts.

Cheers Peter

1. I turn the gas off
2. unsrew the gas QD and srew on the Beer QD
3. turn on the gas
4. attach the the beer QD to the beer outlet and rock away.
Cheers Peter

A variant to this would be to put a T connection in the gas line with a meter or so of gas line and a liquid disconnect on the end. Just a simple change over.

I would also think that the one big reason to not fit two liquid posts is to prevent you from filling the regulator with beer. So if you went down this path, the in-line one-way valve that Peter mentions would also be mandatory.

Latest posts

Back