Cellarmix Forced Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalfish

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently heard that beer (homebrew), carbonated with the co2 nitrogen mix tasted far superior than just the food grade co2.
The downfall was that it took 2 weeks to carbonate.
Is it possible to force carbonate beer with co2 nitrogen mix gas?

Thanks in advance, Tribal

I don't know about the taste being affected, but it is definitely a different carbonation effect from the 'beverage gas' i think they call it.

The nitrogen is far harded to keep in solution, so you get that 'guiness' effect when pouring as the nitrogen leaves solutuion, and you end up with a beer that has a nice creamy head, and a very slightly/gentle carbonation (from the remaining Co2). I think this is correct.

I'm not sure about the time taken to carbonate being two weeks?

:icon_cheers: SJ

I have recently heard that beer (homebrew), carbonated with the co2 nitrogen mix tasted far superior than just the food grade co2.

Personally I think it strips the flavour and aroma out of most beers at the expense of a "creamy" mouthfeel. The entire purpose of nitrogenated stouts was so that large commercial breweries could emulate the mouthfeel/body of cask beers using kegged beer. Kegged beer transports easier than cask beer.

Cellarmix does have it's place, I think it can actually work well on very strong flavoured, high abv english style beers to provide a smoother mouthfeel without carbonic bite. Stuff like strong stouts, barleywine etc. Still not as good as on cask though, but better than just kegged, at the expense of a little aroma and flavour.

I don't know about the taste being affected

Try it side-by-side. You'll be amazed how much the aroma changes. As a result of this, the flavour perception changes too, as a lot of your flavour receptors are actually coming from scent (hence why you can't taste anything with a cold).

Cellarmix is 70% Co2 and 30% Nitrogen and is for actually pushing the beer through the lines over long runs. If you wanted to replicate Guiness you have to use a higher blend of Nitrogen, ie 70% Nitrogen 30% Co2.
If you do intend on gassing with a nitrogen blend, it does mellow out bitterness, flavours and aroma, but if you experiment with hops etc, you should be able to compensate. BOC Gas number is 037VT for a small cylinder. Most BOC G&G dont know it exists.
Cheers
Sully

EDIT: Gas at 400kpa - 4 days and pour at 100 with it too. If you pour with straight Co2 it will overtake the nitrogen. You will also need a diffuser on your tap as well to get the fallout effect in the glass.

Sorry everyone, I should have specified that it was Aligal 15 gas 55% CO2 / 45% N.

Cellarmix 55 is the same thing!

I have lightly forced carbed with CO2 then poured with my Nitro mix with great results in no time at all.

read the "Ross method" thread, about force carbing.

I under carb my beers if there to be poured with nitro

jeddog

I have lightly forced carbed with CO2 then poured with my Nitro mix with great results in no time at all.

read the "Ross method" thread, about force carbing.

I under carb my beers if there to be poured with nitro

jeddog
What sort of Nitro mix do you use, and is it readily available/affordable?

Cheers,
Hutch.

BOC Gas number is 037VT for a small cylinder. Most BOC G&G dont know it exists.

Thanks for that, I've been told I can only get it in the huge cylinders.

Hutch

i use a 70% Nitrogen/30% Co2 from supergas

Back