Caudle - Anyone Tried It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmasbender

Reaction score
wasn't quite sure where to post this one. while watching some tv show the other night where a couple had to eat the diet of yesteryear i noticed a drink with ale as one of the ingredients. caudle. has anyone ever tried making this?

here is a link to info on it and a recipe

also referenced here where i particularly like this.......

"Ale Caudle.To a quart of thick groat gruel add a pint of home-brewed ale, some allspice, and sugar. Boil all together for the space of five or six minutes, then strain it, and put it in a cool place till wanted. This caudle is frequently made for poor country neighbours in their confinement. It is useful as a nourishment for them at that period, and sometimes prevents them from resorting to stronger and more stimulating liquors"

well with winter well on the way i may have to give this all healing beverage a go. once my best bitter is ready in a couple of weeks.

would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this or is willing to?

slinte

christmasbender

wasn't quite sure where to post this one. while watching some tv show the other night where a couple had to eat the diet of yesteryear i noticed a drink with ale as one of the ingredients. caudle. has anyone ever tried making this?

here is a link to info on it and a recipe

also referenced here where i particularly like this.......

"Ale Caudle.To a quart of thick groat gruel add a pint of home-brewed ale, some allspice, and sugar. Boil all together for the space of five or six minutes, then strain it, and put it in a cool place till wanted. This caudle is frequently made for poor country neighbours in their confinement. It is useful as a nourishment for them at that period, and sometimes prevents them from resorting to stronger and more stimulating liquors"

well with winter well on the way i may have to give this all healing beverage a go. once my best bitter is ready in a couple of weeks.

would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this or is willing to?

slinte

christmasbender

As it so happens I have a couple of kilos of groats at home... I might give this a go.

Cheers
Dave

good on ya dave-let us know how you get on

cheers

christmasbender

Haven't made the Caudle yet but I did use some of my groats to make a groat and pease pottage which was very tasty.

I'll give the caudle a go over the weekend.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back