Castle Hill and NSW State Competition 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah shit! Just posted my beers earlier without noticing the online component. Can't remember which beers were entry 1, entry 2 etc....

Will it matter if the online version doesn't correspond exactly to the printed version that I've posted with the beers. The beers are all labelled so is it sweet to just fill out the online version now in any order?

No worries Koot. You just list the beers and category each one is in. The order is not that important.

A question from someone who hasn't entered a comp before. The Entry Form page states that we need to "...cut off entry form and attach with rubber band to bottle...".

So does that mean we need to attach an entry form to each and every bottle? So if we are entering 5 beers, we would be attaching 5 versions of the same entry form? Or is only 1 entry form required for all beers entered by a single brewer (with bottle labels included on the individual bottles)?

I also assume that only 1 "Indemnity & Waiver" form needs to be completed?

Thanks.

haha **** i just threw it in the box of beers with the money attached didn't read the rubber band to bottle bit either. I have had an absolute shocker, not that the rubber band bit should matter but I think I've learnt a life lesson here.

each bottle needs to be labeled so we can identify the beers in the bottle and put in the right catagories flight.
only one identity form

The entry form with the list of entries needs to be filled out only once. Attach it with a rubber band to the first bottle to make it a bit easier for the organiser (i.e. Stuster). If you have just put the entry form into the box that is OK so don't worry. One only "Indemnity & Waiver" form is needed but it is a must under The Castle Hill Show rules.
Each bottle needs to have a bottle label stuck/taped to it.
Hope this helps.

Apart from entry forms and getting them attached to bottles correctly, what are the other common noob mistakes that we should be looking out for?

waz_j said:
Apart from entry forms and getting them attached to bottles correctly, what are the other common noob mistakes that we should be looking out for?
drinking all your beer and not having a bottle to send in

waz_j said:
  • opening the bottles the night before to check there is no infection
  • entering them into the jams and relish comp
  • forgetting to add the bribe money in the envelope

Main thing is to wrap the bottles in bubble wrap or newspapers and place them in a sturdy box packed with newspapers to reduce shaking, falling over etc. I have pick up some entries that are just placed in a plastic shopping bag (which I made more secure in a box).
On the other end of the scale for the sake of the sanity of the organiser do not use three metres of tape to wrap each bottle.
Also I one entry I saw was two thirds full and in clear cordial bottle. The brewer must had been drinking it and thought "That's bloody good, I will put it in the comp". So they put the lid back on and entered it?!
Hope this helps.

fletcher said:
drinking all your beer and not having a bottle to send in
drinking the rest of your bottles, and not have any to send into the nationals if you win.

Hi. Quick question: i got a little too excited and filled out the online form and submitted it already, but now have realised that a couple of my beers actually belong in other categories. Is there a way to change that? Or should I just make sure the paper entry form and beer labels are correct?
Cheers.

This year's mistake...not labelling my bottles after pouring from the keg and having no idea which was which. One's a Brown Porter and another an American Brown Ale, not easily distinguishable when in brown PET bottles. So to the judges, if your drinking a Brown Porter which tastes like an American Brown Ale, and vice versa, it's probably mine :lol:

I will let Stuster answer your question BlueSun19. I am sure others will make similar mistakes.

BlueSun19 said:
Hi. Quick question: i got a little too excited and filled out the online form and submitted it already, but now have realised that a couple of my beers actually belong in other categories. Is there a way to change that? Or should I just make sure the paper entry form and beer labels are correct?
Cheers.
I think the best thing for me would be if you submit your entries again online, this time the way you actually want them entered. I can then just delete your first entries from my sheet. That would be most accurate I think.

And please do attach labels to each bottle, either with a rubber band or tape. Either you do it, or one of us has to do it. And if we receive a bunch of bottles with no labels, how are we going to know which is which??

Classic mosto. :lol:

Don't forget that entries should be in to the show or to the homebrew shops that have kindly agreed to be drop off points this Saturday. I will be at the showground receiving entries between 10 and 2 if you want to drop them off directly there.

waz_j said:
I think the other mistake is just getting beers mixed up. So not quite the mosto situation, but more for people entering a few beers. You have a bunch of labels and a bunch of beers and it's all too easy to get them attached to the wrong bottle without noticing.

And don't put your name anywhere on the bottles. The idea is that the judging is anonymous, so we put numbers on the bottles to identify them.

Thanks everyone. So we have

• Get the right labels on the right bottles - Check
  • Don't write name on bottles - Check
  • Don't open them the night before - Check
  • Save the jam for toast - Check
  • Bribe money - Check :D
  • Don't drink all the beer first - Shit, I knew I forgot something

Back