Cascase Slow Fermention?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hi Gang,
I have had a kit brew down of Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught for the last 6 days at 18-20 deg.
It started at 1040, and i checked it then and got 1030, there is evidence of krausen and its still foamy on top, though im surprised it seems to be taking a fair while. All my others brews i have bottled at 7/8 days max and they are fine. I cant say im 100% impressed with the taste either, very sugary.
I used the Bohemian yeast supplied with the goo can. Any thoughts?

Hi Gang,
I have had a kit brew down of Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught for the last 6 days at 18-20 deg.
It started at 1040, and i checked it then and got 1030, there is evidence of krausen and its still foamy on top, though im surprised it seems to be taking a fair while. All my others brews i have bottled at 7/8 days max and they are fine. I cant say im 100% impressed with the taste either, very sugary.

Sounds like you had a dud packet of yeast, with only a small amount of viable yeast in the packet. The yeast will multiply and chew through the fermentables, but it will take a lot longer and the result might have some funky flavours caused by the yeast stress as you have under pitched your yeast.

Do you have any other dry ale yeast that you can chuck into the fermenter to kick it along?

The sugary taste is from the fermentable sugars that are not yet fermented. Once the yeast chews them up and converts them to ethanol and co2, the beer will be less sweet.

If you do not have any other yeast, maybe swirl up the yeast from the bottom of the fermenter, and get it back into suspension again.

Barry

Hi Gang,

I've not used this kit myself - but have seen other posts about it and the general consensus is that it is not some of Cascade's finest work.

That aside, it sounds like it is still fermenting (albeit slowly) - the krausen is a pretty good sign of this. Given this, I wouldn't go pitchng another yeast in here just yet as it doesn't sound like it is stuck.

I typically leave my brews in the fermentor for around two weeks - allows for some conditioning time.

Given that there are signs of active fermentation, I would let it go and take another reading in a few days time. 1030 is no where near terminal gravity.

Relax, don't worry, have another homebrew - just let it do it's thing.

Brendo

Thanks Gents.. shall wait by the fridge!

I did one of these a while back with 1kg coopers BE1 and 500g Cooper LDME

OG 1.046

These were the readings for SG over the time it took to go down...

Day Temp SG
12-Sep 22 1.046
13-Sep 24
14-Sep 24 1.032
15-Sep 24 1.022
16-Sep 22 1.020
17-Sep
18-Sep 1.018

I ended up bottling at 1.016 according to my notes.

Evil is afoot in j1gsaw's fermenter. The dreaded Cascade Bohemian yeast is loose and multiplying... at a very slow rate. Only YOU can save j1gsaw's beer from certain doom... by not using this yeast again.

Seriously, just stick it out and hopefully it won't be too bad. This yeast is a SLOW beastie.

Latest posts

Back