Cascade Porter Kit. Anyone Tried It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
Just bought a cascade porter kit with 200gms of chocolate malt a safale yeast, 24gms of goldings hop pellets and a kilo of amber DME.
I have never brewed a porter before and was wondering if anyone has tried this kit before? And what was the result?
Cheers
Grinder

Tried it ages ago but didn't like it. But, with your additions it will probly make a nice beer.
If you're after a really nice porter, try a FWK stout/porter and steep some choc grain for 20 mins with a bit of hops for aroma. I did one of these a while back and loved it, even non-black beer drinkers raved on about it!

I did the Cascade Porter as by second ever brew & done plenty of dark beers since. With the steeped choc grain, amber DME & hops it should be great. I kept the total volume down to 18 liters too.

I did the Cascade Porter as by second ever brew & done plenty of dark beers since. With the steeped choc grain, amber DME & hops it should be great. I kept the total volume down to 18 liters too.
Just finished mixing up. I used fuggles not goldings, 12grams @ 30mins and 12gms end of boil.
Added 500gms of dextrose as well + an extra 250gms of amber malt DME.
Also used roasted malt instead of choc.
Made up about 24 ltrs with a Starting Gravity of 1.050. Yeast is Safale S -04. Currently fermenting at 18 Degrees C.
Hopefully will turn out ok.
Smells really nice. What do you guys think?

Back