Cascade Golden Harvest Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vchead

Reaction score
Put down a Cascade Golder Harvest lager kit, some crystal grain (steeped and boiled), 1 kg Dex, some golding hops (all I had) and used the yeast that came with it called Bohemian.

After 5 days there is virtually no movement in the tub. At first I thought the yeast might have been a lager yeast and wasn't liking the 22 degree temp but I don't think so. Read somewhere it was a slow starter but gravity not moving and no bubbles.

Question is can I pitch a US 05 yeast in there now once I'm satisfied there is nothing happening with Bohemian yeast?

Cheers

Put down a Cascade Golder Harvest lager kit, some crystal grain (steeped and boiled), 1 kg Dex, some golding hops (all I had) and used the yeast that came with it called Bohemian.

After 5 days there is virtually no movement in the tub. At first I thought the yeast might have been a lager yeast and wasn't liking the 22 degree temp but I don't think so. Read somewhere it was a slow starter but gravity not moving and no bubbles.

Question is can I pitch a US 05 yeast in there now once I'm satisfied there is nothing happening with Bohemian yeast?

Cheers

I've had a similar problem with the cascade spicy ghost kit which also comes with the bohemian yeast. After 2 days the SG had not changed, so I added an extra sachet of dry yeast - it wasn't anything special, just a spare one from another kit. the following day the SG had dropped and the airolck was bubbling.

the finished product has a bit of a funky taste - I'm not sure if that could be from using extra yeast, or if it's just a shit kit, but it's drinkable

Back