Cascade Choc Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnm64

Reaction score
Looking for some more good advice from this great site :beerbang:
My temp is a steady 16 degrees , is this too cold for the kit yeast.
Raising the temp is one way.
What if I pitch a s-23 will this alter the flavour , will it do the job ?

Thanks johnm64

I would like to hear others advice about this one to as I have put a Cascade Chocolate Porter down today with 1000g of LDME and 700g of Dextrose cant tell you what the original SG is as I dropped the hydrometer today but should be about 1055. Anyway the instructions say to ferment between 19 and 24 degrees, is this to high? What temp should be used for the kit yeast?

if you used the kit yeast give it about 48 hours before you see any action maybe even longer if its cold, Cascade kit yeast takes a long time to get going and ferments slowly.

S23 is a lager yeast so should really be fermented between 9 and 15. Preferably 12'C. Anyway, with the kit you mentioned the best results I've got from it are with 1kg of liquid chocolate malt and 500g honey, along with 20g Cascade hopping [try anything you want though] and S-04 yeast run at 18'C.

Leave for 3 months and BAM! Excellent brew. Wait at least 6 weeks before you try it, and better at 8. 5 months is amazingly smooth.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: 16'C with S-23 should make an alright drop, have a shot at it! Cleaner flavours and smoother finish than ale yeasts and definitely an improvement on kit yeasts.

I've read many bad reports about the yeast supplied with cascade kits. The bohemian yeast supplied is a lager yeast and therefore will work well at lower temps. The temps recommended on the can is the same as with most kits, for dummies who don't know any better.
I live in Tas and have used this yeast many times without and problems. In fact using this yeast with the lower temps here I don't have to worry about heating. The worst thing you could do with this yeast is to brew at temps above 18c, 16c should be okay. Temps above 21c you will start to get sulphur smells.
The yeast does take longer than some to start and I usually leave in the fermenter for at least three weeks before bottling.
Try White labs WLP 004 Irish Ale Liquid Yeast with your choc porter, very nice!

Thanks to johnm64 for starting this thread, I am interested to see how it is going and what fermentables you put with it. I have just checked mine, it's in the shed wrapped up to keep the temp stable, it's currently at 16 deg, air temp 2deg at night and 25 deg during the day. fermentation hasn't started yet, will have to wiat another day.

Thanks all for the info keep it coming.

Thanks for the replies.
I checked it again this morning,we have ignition :) .
Temp is steady at 16 degrees.
This kit yeast really does take its time to get going.

My recipe was really simple.
1.7kg Cascade Choc porter
1kg Dark brew enhancer from Brewcraft
Boiled in 3ltrs water for 30mins to make sure all malt etc dissolved.
Into fermenter topped up to 23ltr.
Re hydrated the yeast then pitched at 20 degrees.
This is the first brew not to kick off in 24 hrs.
Now have to buy something to go with the s-23 yeast ,decisions decisions :unsure:
Too many bright shiny cans.
johnm64

Up to 48 hours to start is about right, My Cascade porters with the kit yeast just got started noticably tonight 48 hours after putting it down. Temp has been between 16 and 18 degrees. Now I just have to get a new hydrometer.

Latest posts

Back