Cars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the early 4.2 turbos did have some issues.

But the atmo engine is plenty good enough if your not speed freak.

We used Troopies and 80's on the railways almost exclusively and they where pretty tough.

Most of them saw 200k plus without any problems..although they had a bad habit of stripping the output shaft in the gearbox after about 150K.....

But the prices in the 13'$ are big k's yeah so service history is pretty important

Ducatiboy stu said:
Those 4.2ltr Toyota diesels are bullet proof. You can easley expect 500,000K's out of them

80 series or the 70 series Troopies are pretty reliable and parts are everywhere for them

You can pick them up easly for under $15k
Absolutely. I'm now driving a 96 Sahara with the 1hd-ft 24v TD. At 330k it's almost run in. Luckily, I bought it off the FIL and knew it had a pretty easy life and serviced religiously. Even better was his love for accessories and there ain't much room to add anything else. Even still, for a 20yr old car with a heap of accessories it's been relatively trouble free. As a reliable 4WD it's up there with the old Landrover.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Yeah the early 4.2 turbos did have some issues.

But the atmo engine is plenty good enough if your not speed freak.

We used Troopies and 80's on the railways almost exclusively and they where pretty tough.

Most of them saw 200k plus without any problems..although they had a bad habit of stripping the output shaft in the gearbox after about 150K.....
Thats the thing, theres no time frame on thrashing a vehicle. Constant shock loading via traction / no traction situations like bouncing up a rocky hill will kill just about anything sooner or later.

Except perhaps, much as it pains me to admit it, a Nissan Patrol.

My uncle use to work for Intergral back when it was still Prospect (?) doing installations in some pretty rustic locations. The thrashings dished out to the company Patrols by all and sundry were enough to prompt him to lay his money down on a spanking new GU when the time came for that big trip round Aus. A diesel mechanic by trade and a rev head by nature he was mightily impressed how these things just lapped up the abuse and kept on rolling.
The bodys eventually rattled like shaking a tin of ringpulls, but the motors and drive lines were industrial strength. Plus the the Nissan LSD is the best in the business, the Toyota LSD unit by comparison must be named for irony.
Thats the 4.2 turbo. He upgraded to a newer straight six TB45 petrol, then sold it again quickly cos they suck juice like a top fuel dragster. Dont even consider the grenade like ZD30.

ZD30? Worst...headjob...ever.
Supposedly blanking the egr prevented the high cylinder temps that created issues but after doing both cyl head repair and timing gear housing r&r I'd never want to own one. Bet you've given me nightmares now Dave70.

droid said:
But the prices in the 13'$ are big k's yeah so service history is pretty important
Go for a petrol. $13k will get you between 280 and 330k. Use. Bit of negotiation. There's a few on carsales and gumtree.
105 series too.

Dave70 said:
Thats the thing, theres no time frame on thrashing a vehicle. Constant shock loading via traction / no traction situations like bouncing up a rocky hill will kill just about anything sooner or later.

Except perhaps, much as it pains me to admit it, a Nissan Patrol.

My uncle use to work for Intergral back when it was still Prospect (?) doing installations in some pretty rustic locations. The thrashings dished out to the company Patrols by all and sundry were enough to prompt him to lay his money down on a spanking new GU when the time came for that big trip round Aus. A diesel mechanic by trade and a rev head by nature he was mightily impressed how these things just lapped up the abuse and kept on rolling.
The bodys eventually rattled like shaking a tin of ringpulls, but the motors and drive lines were industrial strength. Plus the the Nissan LSD is the best in the business, the Toyota LSD unit by comparison must be named for irony.
Thats the 4.2 turbo. He upgraded to a newer straight six TB45 petrol, then sold it again quickly cos they suck juice like a top fuel dragster. Dont even consider the grenade like ZD30.
Patrols had a reputation for very strong drive lines, stronger than Toyota's, but the engines where not as good.

Ironically a good mix is putting the Tojo 4.2 diesel into a GQ Patrol

quick digression - once upon a time i sold New Nissans, Fords and Jeeps. There was a driver training day on the new Patrol (GU i think it was), out in the bush. They hadn't reached Dealerships at that stage. Everyone was told to take it easy and one knob head rolled one, he was real popular after that

So...

Took an 80 series Cruiser diesel and an Adventra v8 for a fandangle today. Cruiser was a machine and I love the road presence! but also a tank to drive. Would be amazing for any camping trips or long road trips. Bit of a slug though and too big for my carport side by side with the falcon.

Adventra looked nearly just like any Commodore wagon from the outside. A bit extra height.
Was a bit skeptical as the engine is the LS1 and the car weighs 2t plus. I was very surprised, good power and excellent handling. I thought this would be a middle range to the other vehicles that would cope with all of our weekend cramping trips to the Benalla/Wang high country and Riverina area plus being an easy Melbourne suburbs weekend car. So I bought it today! It's an LX8 luxury.
My friend can also tune the LS1, no cost other than parts. Better intake, cam and exhaust + tune should be around 225-250kw @ all 4's. And better fuel economy too

1458898022759.jpg

People shitcan Holdens and Fords because its the done thing. However, they are actually very capable cars. No, they aren't Euro spec but neither is the purchase price.

Well done on your new purchase. I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable ride.

The good thing about LS motors is there is lots of aftermarket go fast gear.

Thanks guys. Yeah that's one thing Aussie's do, shit can our own good products.

This one is a cracker of a car.
A shame it was dismissed by most when the Territory was released.
It's a very capable vehicle and IMHO very difficult to ignore.

It's fun to drive on the asphalt, actually pretty good turn in for a big payload. Looking forward to taking it off road soon.

Ducatiboy stu said:
A complete SHIT BOX. Dont even think of going with one of those.

Every mechanic I know reckons they are horrible things.

Bloke at work bought a cheap one....nothing but trouble
Little known fact, the Pajero can't be called the Pajero (pronounced Pa he ro) in the USA or Hispanic America. It's Spanish for panther, but also has been adopted as the slang word for the gay partner who likes to go on top.

Note it's 2016 so I'm not allowed to use Non-PC names such as poofter.

Living in a country area now, most of our drives are along B roads or zooming up to SEQ to see family, etc and I'll be probably looking at a late model Commodore or Falcon again if the mighty Mazda2 dies .. at the rate it's going it will probably see me out anyway. :p

I bet you can pick them up for peanuts in a couple of years for the reasons stated above by peekaboo-jones.

You can pick Commodores & Falcons up cheap these days.

They easly do 300k kms + with any proplems if they are serviced.

And parts are dirt cheap and easy to get for them as well

Back