Cars

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peekaboo_jones

Reaction score
Thinking of getting something bigger than my Subaru impreza wrx hatch, to cater for a growing family + weekend camping trips etc. Nothing too serious but like to be able to tow a camper trailer and other things.

The wrx just doesn't have enough space in the boot. One pram just fits, shopping also, just. That's about it!

Willing spend limit 15-18k including sale of wrx

Holden Adventra LX8?
Ford Territory 5 seater diesel
Subaru outback or liberty wagon

I'm taking an Adventra for a drive this weekend and might hire a territory for a weekend too.

One plus of the Adventra is massive boot space and still similar to a regular car, kind of. Poor fuel economy compared to the others too but, meh that's ok with me. I think.

Cheers

I'm an ex ford mechanic and reckon the Territory Diesel is a good family car. The Landrover engine is very reliable from my experience albeit a bit sooty when you give it the berries. A few suspension issues seem to have been fixed in the later models. Great fuel economy or so the BIL tells me.

I am on my second Territory, great vehicle. Had the six petrol AWD, now the TDci seven seater, we always have the third row folded away.

i have a crewman X6 which is the AWD ute version of the adventra i think - it's been a great car in the country but thank the Lord it has gas otherwise i would have sold it ages ago - the fuel tank is too small imho. the ute version is really long too but i believe the wagon isn't as long - they aren't a small car though if parking in the city is frequent...

we also have a subi - the liberty B4, subi's are great, i had a WRX too but i wouldn't tow too much even with an outback, i've looked at the bigger 3.6 outback but wouldn't want to tow our pop top with it ~ not as the dedicated towing vehicle anyway

the mrs has a TDC or somesuch territory as a work car, she's not really a fan but then she's a bit of a euro fan girl having just bought a VW Toureg

if the towing thing is limited to a lightish camper trailer and not a van - i'd be all over a low k'd 2009+ (ed or younger) outback

Yeah I really love the Subaru build quality and driving enjoyment. They are just too small in on opinion for what we want to throw in the back. The outback would be perfect if it's boot was a bit bigger.

I took a territory for a spin, it was quite nice to drive also. Car like handling really but I don't think they can go off road, ground clearance isn't much more than a Falcon.

Taking an Adventra for a drive this weekend.

This car will be parked in the carport 5 days a week and used for long trips and my outings on weekend when the wife is working.
The Mrs uses our current AU Falcon as a daily car. it's perfect for that purpose.

Had outbacks for 10yrs onto my 2nd now, love em. Done heaps of beach trips. Seats fold flat heaps of room in the back for sleeping & gear IMO, you must have a lot of gear? Tarp/poles/table on the roof, mattress/eskies/clothes in the back.

Like Droid, I have a crewman. Family of four, kids 15 & 17, family tent, boogie boards, cooking equip, esky with two taps and two kegs (very important) sleeping rolls and bags, clothing etc etc, all fit in the back. No need to tow anything (great if you go a bit off track), but will easily if you take a camper trailer. Not perfect off road though. Handles like a car.Shame they stopped building them.

^yep couldn't agree more, we would have traded up by now, my old girl has gone fire wood collecting with a trailer through wet hilly muddy slops, just a nice smooth throttle and she cruises through no worries and there's no thought about space, we chuck everything in

peekaboo_jones said:
Yeah I really love the Subaru build quality and driving enjoyment. They are just too small in on opinion for what we want to throw in the back. The outback would be perfect if it's boot was a bit bigger.

I took a territory for a spin, it was quite nice to drive also. Car like handling really but I don't think they can go off road, ground clearance isn't much more than a Falcon.

This car will be parked in the carport 5 days a week and used for long trips and my outings on weekend when the wife is working.
The Mrs uses our current AU Falcon as a daily car. it's perfect for that purpose.
sounds good!

Another Ford Territory here, 7 seater titanium, petrol. Love it, wish i'd got the diesel but hey work pays for fuel anyway.

I've had 2 crewmans a V6 and the 6.0ltr V8 ss
The back seats are super small, the V6 was the s model and came out with a 1 tonne load rating , your then stuck with light truck tyres and due to its length very easy spin on slippery roads. It was dangerous. You can get a engineers certificate for passenger car tyres so your insurance will be valid.

The ss was much better but its was manual and the gearing is way to high, it was a bitch in traffic or a steep driveway even. And 6th gear is way to high to be practical and keep a licence.

I sold it and bought a v6 auto Hilux 4x4, so much happier and cheaper on fuel

datsun-120y-01.jpg

Thats silly. OP said boot space is important and fuel consumption isn't.

P76 V8. Boxes ticked.

DSC_1611-550x367.jpg

peekaboo_jones said:

If this is just a car for camping and holidays do yourself a favour and buy an 80 series Cruiser in good nick. You could get a decked out turbo diesel for less than 20 gorillas if you look around. Pre common rail so while you may consume more fuel and have a bit less power, any joe-blow can work on it and it's not likely to leave you stranded because it tasted a bit of water. On my second 80 series now and only because I upgraded from base model to high series. Still miss my 1fz-fe but can't hoard cars like I do empty beer bottles. The bloke that bought it messaged me 12 months later telling me it was still going strong and the best buy he'd ever had. He got it too cheap.

Those 4.2ltr Toyota diesels are bullet proof. You can easley expect 500,000K's out of them

80 series or the 70 series Troopies are pretty reliable and parts are everywhere for them

You can pick them up easly for under $15k

Liam_snorkel said:
Had outbacks for 10yrs onto my 2nd now, love em. Done heaps of beach trips. Seats fold flat heaps of room in the back for sleeping & gear IMO, you must have a lot of gear? Tarp/poles/table on the roof, mattress/eskies/clothes in the back.
Agree, yes if we didn't have kids I'd possibly stick with the wrx.
Toddler on backseat, porta cot, pram/stroller, bags, toys, gifts etc for country family birthdays Xmas etc.
Obviously homebrew beer supply (usually an esky full).
Camping gear also if it's that type of trip.

70 or 80 series cruiser is definitely food for thought!

My other thought was a Pajero v6 and getting an RPW supercharger kit.

Adventra is still under 10k and somewhere between all these variants, test drive Friday will tell!

peekaboo_jones said:
My other thought was a Pajero v6 and getting an RPW supercharger kit.
A complete SHIT BOX. Dont even think of going with one of those.

Every mechanic I know reckons they are horrible things.

Bloke at work bought a cheap one....nothing but trouble

Ducatiboy stu said:
A complete SHIT BOX. Dont even think of going with one of those.

Every mechanic I know reckons they are horrible things.

Bloke at work bought a cheap one....nothing but trouble
Jesus, great feedback. It's off the list!

Camo6 said:
If this is just a car for camping and holidays do yourself a favour and buy an 80 series Cruiser in good nick. You could get a decked out turbo diesel for less than 20 gorillas if you look around. Pre common rail so while you may consume more fuel and have a bit less power, any joe-blow can work on it and it's not likely to leave you stranded because it tasted a bit of water. On my second 80 series now and only because I upgraded from base model to high series. Still miss my 1fz-fe but can't hoard cars like I do empty beer bottles. The bloke that bought it messaged me 12 months later telling me it was still going strong and the best buy he'd ever had. He got it too cheap.
I just bought a 1FZJ-FE. Paid $13k in good condition. Drives very nice, no-one bothers you if you happen to do the wrong thing on the road. Goes anywhere - beach, rocks, mud, over Civics and Prius's.

Seriously though, a good car for not a lot of money. I got it for the 8 seats as we have number 3 on the way.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Those 4.2ltr Toyota diesels are bullet proof. You can easley expect 500,000K's out of them

80 series or the 70 series Troopies are pretty reliable and parts are everywhere for them

You can pick them up easly for under $15k
So long as you get the right one. I owned a GXL 80 series turbo for a time that belonged to the olds previously. There were big end issues with a few models, that being one. They were replaced at 100,000K and almost worn through to the copper - warranty job. Then the fuel pump needed re building after the low sulphur diesel fucked the seals - about a $900 fix. Then the injectors needed a rebuild - about $500. Then the radiator core became irrevocably choked with shit and needed replacing. Then at 280K the turbo spat a bearing on the intake side and lunched two valves after bits of the shell got sucked into the motor. I sorted that myself but it required a whole bunch of time knuckle skinning.
The STD front wheel bearings cop merry hell, as do the CVs when leaned on and these were replaced numerous times. Being constant 4WD only aggravates this, I'd go a 2WD conversion kit to save front end ware alone.
But in full disclosure, I used it like a 4WD, not 'Mums taxi'.

So the take home message is if you don't know what to look for and what questions to ask, enlist the services of someone who does before you buy.
I might add, between me, the missus, and my folks, we've probably had about a dozen Toyotas, mostly Landcruisers and utes over the past twenty years. Probably the best build quality next the likes of Subaru and Mazda in a mass produced car. If I were in your shoes, I'd stretch to the lowest K, most city driven Prado I could afford.

Latest posts

Back