Career Change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We, the bloke I worked for and myself, had a small job at Emu Plains womens prison once replacing some leaky gutter and flashing years ago.
The screw who signed us in and showed us the job mad a few things clear before we commenced work.
'Just remember guys, there's cameras everywhere, so be tempted if your approached to slip into the toilets or behind a building and 'barter' for a packet of smokes or cash'.
In the end, the yard was closed off so it wasn't an issue. And if any of the ladies calling out to us on the other side of the fence were doing the tempting, neither would it have been...

I felt so objectified that day..*sniff*..

I remember leaving a screwdriver in one of the internal guards offices by mistake. When time came to sign and the tool count was done and they discovered I was short 1 screwdriver, the place went into near lock-down. Old mate at the gate was not a happy chappy. Luckily the found the offending item in the office. If they had not of found it then I would have been forced to stay at the jail until the whole place was searched and the screwdriver found. Not a great thing to happen on a friday arvo I can tell you. I quickly learnt to only take in what was actually needed for the job.

Everything that went into that jail was xrayed, including shoes. All metal objects where xrayed after being removed from your body ( belts, watches etc ). You could only take in clear plastic bags/satchels etc Took nearly an hr to get thru the gate into the jail.

The scariest time of all was when I went into one of the pods to fix the inmate phone after one of the boys got a "Dear John" phone call....when I walked in ( accompanied by a guard ) the first question that was asked was " Hey Sir...Is he here to fill up the condom machine.....we are all out" :ph34r:

Opportune thread. Got a job offer today for a big manufacturer in Albury.
Out of mining, into factory maintenance. New town, need to sort a house, and manage the kids.
Have to accept or reject tomorrow. Life changing decision.

Nice area Albury...Not to far from the snow, climate is nice. River is awsome....Well Done :drinks:

Dave70 said:
In the end, the yard was closed off so it wasn't an issue. And if any of the ladies calling out to us on the other side of the fence were doing the tempting, neither would it have been...

I felt so objectified that day..*sniff*..
There's a first time for every mangina.

TheWiggman said:
Out of mining, into factory maintenance. New town, need to sort a house, and manage the kids.
Plenty of great micros in the area,if that doesn't sway you nothing will.:)

Mardoo said:
There's a first time for every mangina.
Don't get me wrong, I like a strong woman.
Just not one with thicker forearms than mine and tats seemingly applied with an Artline 90.

Dave70 said:
tats seemingly applied with an Artline 90.
They probably were. That and a razor blade.

TheWiggman said:
My parents have lived in albury for the last few years, it's a great place. I'm a coast dweller through and through but I do like going to albury. Weather is insanely good, bone dry so you can wear jeans on a 35c day no problems. We visit the tamworth area for relos now and then but albury IMHO is much better. Roughly halfway to Melbourne and Sydney too

Haha, I may be giving away my real-life presence but I'm a Corowa local. Lived there until I took off to Newcastle for uni, and have wanted to get back once we started a family. Love the area and intend to settle there for good. Can't beat dry heat, and very much looking forward to moving away from cold in this damn town. Now that I'm older than 18 and drink more than vodka I can appreciate the very nice wines in the Rutherglen region
Micro breweries you say?! I'll have to look them up.
I'd appreciate the coast if there weren't for the salt, sun and sand. The river's what it's all about. Cicadas chirping, kookaburra's cackling, the smell of the fresh grass under the trees and cool mud between the toes. And the faint aroma of exploded deodorant and burnt potato as you launch one from your spud gun across the river... can't wait to do that with a home brew in hand.

Well, after five days as an electrician's apprentice I got told today not to come in Monday...

Because it's an RDO. HURRAH!

My God, how I've missed an EBA.

Haha, I love the ones that are part of your roster, but you get asked to work them every time, so you work a shift you'd normally work anyway, but get paid overtime for it.

TheWiggman said:
Haha, I may be giving away my real-life presence but I'm a Corowa local. Lived there until I took off to Newcastle for uni, and have wanted to get back once we started a family. Love the area and intend to settle there for good. Can't beat dry heat, and very much looking forward to moving away from cold in this damn town. Now that I'm older than 18 and drink more than vodka I can appreciate the very nice wines in the Rutherglen region
Micro breweries you say?! I'll have to look them up.
I'd appreciate the coast if there weren't for the salt, sun and sand. The river's what it's all about. Cicadas chirping, kookaburra's cackling, the smell of the fresh grass under the trees and cool mud between the toes. And the faint aroma of exploded deodorant and burnt potato as you launch one from your spud gun across the river... can't wait to do that with a home brew in hand.
The salt,sun and sand ,love it lived all my life here in Port Lincoln,but do some Murray/ Darling river " boys " trips with the wife's uncle and mates out of Mildura,the difference between sea and river is brilliant .
Thank F. Mr Chompy doesn't inhabit the rivers up that way!

Camo6 said:
Well, after five days as an electrician's apprentice I got told today not to come in Monday...

Because it's an RDO. HURRAH!

My God, how I've missed an EBA.
Ha... you dick.

I actually felt a pang of sympathy for you over that first line before I read on.

I hope you enjoy your Monday off.

And I definitely hope you don't get a splinter on that day.

Well that's it, just handed in my resignation and will be moving to Corowa. Working at the paper mill in Albury as a maintenance team leader.

Very hard to find a place with a shed in our price range (for rent). My first trip down I'll be taking the keg fridge, fermenting fridge and the brew gear. Then sneakily installing a 15A power point if I can't find one. Amongst all the hustle and bustle of life, I've found that brewing keeps my mind at ease and keeps me sane. Lucky I'll have 3 full kegs to last me 'til we're settled.
Time to troll the brew clubs around the region...
Cracking open an English barley wine tonight to celebrate. :icon_drunk:

Thanks for the well wishes.
There's also Cheeky Peak which is a slight (5 min) detour from my trip home from the new work. Works out really well for ingredients and gear.
Wow Beechworth has an impressive range of beers. My recollections of Beechworth trips were boring, BORING tours of antique and art shops with lunch at the overcrowded bakery. My wife won't be pulling my arm for a day trip now.

You lucky *******,so many choices nearby.
Thirsty cow at Wagga,Beechworth ,Tumut,Bright.

Just googled Corowa ,and Yarawonga isn't far away the Byramine winery/brewery is situated there,I bought some of their brews when I passed through last September .
I can't remember what the brews were like as my son inlaw drank them.
Could be a chance for a review ?

Back