Career Change

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing that madpierre. Food for thought. I know what you mean about fate in the hands of others. I don't mind that I guess. But i do cherish my time with my family and what used to be exciting and fun is now a very taxing experience for not only me but my family.

This thread is really interesting reading. I, too, am in the middle of what I hope will be a career change. I left school, attempted Uni, realised I was pissing around/wasting time/not trying so I took a few months off to get a real job. Worked as a store man for a year or so and realised I wasn't as strong as I thought and that I should use my brain and go back to Uni.

Ended up with an Education degree and teaching in the State system. It's been pretty good to me but after 15+ years I am starting to lose interest. I see some of my colleagues who are close to retirement and are totally jaded. My colleagues in promotional positions, while paid fairly well, slowly have their souls destroyed. The job and the expectations associated with it are changing so fast. I look at them and feel that I don't really want to be in that position.

I discovered, by accident, that I like data and statistics (flame suit - on). I am currently studying a Masters of Science in Applied Statistics part time. Most people laugh when I tell them or look at me and ask why, but I find it really interesting and I am learning skills that more businesses/organisations require and not many people possess. I am also finding that I'm a much better student this time around: I have higher expectations, study consistently instead of leaving everything to the last minute and study is a priority, not a chore - and all while juggling full time work, family, mortgage, etc. It's hard, but I have found something I enjoy.

If you had have told me five years ago that I would be doing this, I would have told you to lay off the crack. I don't know if my further study will lead to a career change or just a different direction in the Education dept, but I won't ever regret learning new skills and I certainly won't die wondering what might have been.

Just my two cents.

When I arrived in Tassie 3 years ago I was pretty sure I was ready to get out of the sparky game and try something else. Job at a brewery came up and I jumped on it, but seeing as it wasn't full time I had to keep my feet in those electrical waters. A few years on and I had the shits with both jobs big time, owner of one business doesn't want to expand and the other was to unorganised to grow his business properly.

The whole time I kept getting a lot of positive responses about my work in both jobs (and the electrical one kept creeping in further and further) so I decided a few months ago that **** it, I'm sick working 2 jobs and feeling a tad hamstrung by the owners attitudes and went to the one and said "Next year I'd like to come back full time as 2IC and sort things out" and the other "Next year I'd like to **** off".

Feeling much happier about next years prospects, and I think what I was looking for in the end was the opportunity to be a part of something that gets bigger and better. A few extra $ won't hurt either.

Looks like either way you have an opportunity to start your own business, one doesn't want to expand, can't say I blame him in the current climate, no reason why you can't go into opposition to him, same thing with the one who is unorganised.
Take the bull by the horns and do your own thing, nobody will chop your hands off for trying.

Well, looks like the leap of faith we took has paid off. Six months after leaving work to start a cert 2 I'm now happily employed in an electrical apprenticeship with a great commercial mob. Things will be tight(ish) for the next two years but already loving the change, the commitment from my employer makes my experience in the auto industry seem like a bad dream.
To anyone considering a late career change... plan it, do it. Maturity and experience still seem to be preferred with some employers over fiscal savings.

Well done, Cam. Glad it worked out for you.

I just started working for my BIL in his cabinetry business after leaping out of my Landscaping/Gardening job of 4 1/2 yrs.

Not sure if I'm finished leaping yet (luckily, he's flexible on how long I want to work for him), but just making the change has done me the world of good. I'm actually enjoying going to work now.
I don't come home pissed off most days and Sundays aren't clouded by the impending working week any more.

Midnight Brew...how are you going now ? Plumbing, wasn't it ?

Camo6, go for it,a big step but well done.
Good to see this thread rise up again,after 35 yrs in construction I am getting out
I turned 51 last month,I have put in a resume to become a Bailiff also am putting in for a Correctional Services Officer.
I guess all my time in building putting screws in hopefully will come in handy being a screw :), not got a reply yet,and not crossing my fingers but secretly am.
Looking forward to my first job interview since 1979, am as nervous as a kitten but after months of questioning everything,laying everything out and toughening the **** up, Look out here the old ******* comes.
Onwards and upwards for both you and me!
Cheers....spog...

Cheers Dan. Coming home from work angry was the proverbial straw for me. At heart I'm just a big teddy bear but when you're holding pricks by the throat you know its time for a change! Great work on your move too mate. Just don't let them nice hands of yours get too rough...

Cheers too Spog. Sounds like an interesting move you're making. Reckon it would be quite an eye opener as a CSO. You'd probably get some good stories to tell at the pub that's for sure.
Can be daunting not getting replies, I applied to over 25 companies and only got an interview with two. I just kept calling till they were sick of me!
Best of luck with your venture mate and with any interviews.

Interesting to read all this good on yas all 'round.

I work in mining (prior to that for a small manufacturing company) and have spent some time up north and was keen to get out. I managed to find an identical role in Orange - where my partner had lived - so we got away from there albeit still working at a mine. I heard a lot of things about mining before I got in the game and much of it is true. The "good cash in them mines eh?" attitude was right, but the industry's been destroyed by it. I lived in an 8000-strong town that had a sign on entry saying "A PROUD UNION TOWN" as you drove in and then in the next, the town was built by the company that opened the mine in the late '70s.
The number of affairs, divorces, unhappy singles and disgruntled people blew me away. The work, honestly, is good. Big gear, expensive installations, big wallets, corporate roles, interesting maintenance and investigation techniques - there's nothing boring about if you like equipment or getting dirty. But it was all so money-driven by many workers that people lost sight of how lucky they were and as soon as they were getting paid well, someone up the road would offer more. They'd move or accept a different roster, and get more cash. Then do overtime. Then move again. Then go out as a contractor etc. etc. Once you're in, it's hard to get out.
If you wanted more money, you could get it. And that's what people do. Well I was getting sick of everyone whingeing about how there wasn't enough ice at the go-line or their truck's AC wasn't cold enough. I was supervising 10 engineers and planners and I found out I was the lowest paid and was probably the happiest, so I was done. Took a reasonable pay cut and moved to Orange, where I'm still well paid but struggling a bit paying off a house, raising 3 kids, buying clothes for my wife and trying to sneak some grain orders in between. On the plus side we have a selection of schools, I'm playing hockey and touch in big comps again, there are shops when I need to buy things, and people around who aren't there for the cash. They're there to live.
I caught up with an electrician today and he said it was his last day. First thing he said was "it's not as much cash" and I said "if you want the cash, you can chase it. Why are you moving?". He said his wife and family made the trip up here for him, and she was sick of it and they wanted to go back home where their family was. Spot on, can't think of a better reason to move.

I'm still looking to get out of mining and will, and have my eyes set on what my wife and I call "home". I'm just waiting for the right job opportunity. And, sadly, my personal dream is - shock! - to open my own brewery. I know where I want it and I reckon the demographic's there. I'm 'only' 32 now so hopefully like some of you blokes, in 20 years' time you will be dropping past my brewery on the Murray border asking for a sneaky pint of my finest stout. A man can dream huh? ;)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Love this topic. It's amazing how much 38 hours of crap a week will impact on the rest of your life. Find a job that makes you happy and it's amazing what a difference it makes.

I used to live in a mining town in the Upper Hunter, Muswellbrook about 10yrs ago. Was there for about 8yrs on the railways as a comms tech. I saw how the town changed as the mines grew to the point of it being 1 giant mine. There was pretty good money in the town back then, and with the opening of a whole heap more mines after I left there was a lot more after I left. A lot of my friends who still live there have seen massive changes with the new mines and more money. House prices sky rocketed, rent was insane. Everyone was out to cash in on the money, including the crims. In some ways the town got poisoned by greed and money, and arrogant coal miners. Almost an " Us & Them " situation

I am so glad I got away. Grafton might be laid back and a bit slow, but at least everyone is on the same level. You might have a great job, but if it is in shit location, whats the point. Life isnt always about work and money

Most of us are familiar with the old quote by Mark Twain 'The secret to success in life is to make your vocation your vacation'.
If I can successfully impart this value into my kids, I'll feel, at least a little, validated as a good parent.
Money shouldn't necessarily be the prime mover. Work really is such a massive chunk of our short lives, far to long to spend wishing you were somewhere else.
No doubt the years I spent hanging off the end of a shovel, laying pipes in the summer heat, chasing out brick walls, crawling under houses and in stinking hot roof spaces, clearing shit choked drains ext added to my grit, skill set and possibly, upper body strength, but on balance, I could have got a the same effect by joining a wrestling club and customizing motorcycles or shooting wild pigs from a helicopter for a day job.

spog said:
I turned 51 last month,I have put in a resume to become a Bailiff also am putting in for a Correctional Services Officer.
My next door neighbor spent 10 years as a CSO. He now spends half his time at home on a disability pension and the other half in the secure psych ward. Massive post traumatic stress. Multiple suicide attempts. Chronic depression. Help from department = zero.

Seeing what it did to him - not recommended.

Unfortunately money is the prime mover regarding what we all end up doing, things become unsatisfactory because we change.
Making money is a motivator we can't ignore, house to pay for wife and kids to clothe and school, and as D70 said it is a short life at the end of the day so in that short time we have to do the best we can to achieve the goals we set ourselves, I am sure Camo's change would not be ruling out money, my youngest brother is a sparky taken on a couple of employees working on something to do with broadband and knocking up good money.
Another quote to drum into your kids.
A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. (Winston Churchill)

Airgead said:
My next door neighbor spent 10 years as a CSO. He now spends half his time at home on a disability pension and the other half in the secure psych ward. Massive post traumatic stress. Multiple suicide attempts. Chronic depression. Help from department = zero.

Farrk,gotta feel for people in that situation ,I'm still keen and will give anything a go.
For me after all the years in construction and carrying some aches and strains I'm looking for any job that will/could get me through to retirement .
I've had enough of coming home covered in dust,dirt,sawdust,concrete etc and aching muscles etc,my job being a physically demanding one will not keep me going till retirement ( well my body won't ).
So a less physically demanding job is what I'm after,if I have to I'll present my self to the manager of Bunnings here,with my years in the trade I reckon I'd be just what they're looking for.
To me any job will do and if a better one pops up ill go for it,mind you I won't be applying at the fish factories here I draw the line at that work.
Anyway tomorrow is a new day so I'm happy to see what it brings.

Airgead said:

A good mate of mine looks headed for divorce from his wife of 30 years. The wife went from a receptionist job to CSO about three years ago. The change in her personality has been profound. And not for the better.
You never know how dealing with some of the most wretched examples of society on a daily basis can affect you. I'd be thinking twice also.

I have 2 CSO's on my wife's side. Both love it and are quite happy in the job. Both have worked at some of the bigger badder jails, but now both are out at country jails. Just my .02c

I work shift as a Port controller (based in the Perth CBD), despite having an engineering degree, this pays more for less effort and more days off. I'm currently looking for a change to something that doesn't involve night shift.

I used to do contract work for Corrective services doing the Prisoner phones. I had to go right inside the jail and mix with the crims...was a very sureal place....the crims where overtly polite...was strange to walk amongst murderers, rapists etc and be called Sir or Mr

I really felt sorry for a lot of the CSO's...the absolute boredom must drive them mad, especially those in the yard who still had to patrol even when the inmates where locked away.

Not a fantstic working environment

Back