Carbonation Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifthpinned06

Reaction score
I've got a question about carbonation temperature, so I've brewed my beer, fermented at 18deg, kegged and primed with corn sugar, and then put the keg back into the fermentation fridge and left for a month to carbonate and condition. I read around that I may have carbonated at too low of a temp as the yeast can go to sleep what do you guys reckon? will the beer have carbonated enough?

I've got a question about carbonation temperature, so I've brewed my beer, fermented at 18deg, kegged and primed with corn sugar, and then put the keg back into the fermentation fridge and left for a month to carbonate and condition. I read around that I may have carbonated at too low of a temp as the yeast can go to sleep what do you guys reckon? will the beer have carbonated enough?

Carbing at fermenting temperature is perfect. (remember that carbing is a result of fermentation)

edit: Re-read your post and just wanted to make sure - when you say keg, you do mean a corny type keg (ie. one you connect beer taps to), and not the fermenter don't you?

What temp are we talking here? If it was 18c, you should be fine. I had PET bottles sitting at around 16 - 18c (sometimes dropped as low as 12c), for a couple of weeks and they seem to be ok...haven't tried them yet but they're hard as rocks.

Yeah thats what i was originally thinking glen the yeast is active and comfortable at 18deg during fermentation so it should be still active during carbonation makes sense to me but yeah was reading that it needs to be higher and thought i'd ask.

Yeah kept it at 18deg wbosher should be all good by the sounds of things.

Latest posts

Back