Carbonation Cap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nicko said:
they retail for around $30 ??? looking at his price list

[post="6603"][/post]​

Well the T.A.B strikes again!!!

The wife brought home a print out from a web site somewhere.....

So I bought these....

Not the bottle caps

DSC00629.JPG

Drilled a hole through these and then disassembled and reassembled these in those

DSC00633.JPG

DSC00635.JPG

DSC00636.JPG

All done up and ready to go!!!

Total cost for 4 and the connection.........

$18

DSC00638.JPG

DSC00639.JPG

I haven't had a carbonation cap split on me yet, although I can see how one might.

I also used "chrome" car valves - these are nice and shiny when new but corrode. Linz may have mentioned but his look like SS - good move. In hindsight I would rather use a rubber one than a chromy.

Nearly said:
Doc, Would you use your carbonation cap or your counter pressure bottle filler to create takeaways? I am wondering if the cap is the takeaway solution I have been looking for....
[post="6670"][/post]​
Nearly - I have found that when you fill PET bottles, it is much more of a challenge to maintain good carbonation. The bottle expands under pressure so I pump them up with a carbonation cap. In a glass bottle, assuming the beer started out with enough carbonation, a CPF is usually good enough.

http://brewiki.org/CounterPressureBottleFiller

Hi Linz

Nice work

Hard to see in the photo, but does the valve include a stainless/chrome looking washer that sits against the rubber? If so, I had a similar thing on mine, and it corroded badly as soon as it came in contact with beer, to the point I could taste it. I just removed that washer and the rest of the valve seems to be OK.

Whats wrong with the plain rubber ones?

I have made few using them and they seem to work ok. A quick boil for a few minutes then a soak in some 1shot and they dont smell all that rubbery. PLus at $1 a pop they are much cheaper than the steel ones

Have fun with your setup Linz, I know we did.

The gas line was cut, and airline quick disconnects were put in. Another airline disconnect was put on the end of the line to the tyre filler chuck. This means it is very quick and simple to swap from the tyre filler chuck back to the line with the keg disconnect on it.

Watch which way round the inline air disconnects go. One side holds pressure, the other doesn't. So depending how you hook everything up, the day you leave the keg disconnect on the keg, and unhook the inline disconnect, beer may shoot everywhere.

One excellent feature of PET bottles, even if you only half fill them, you can squeeze all the air out, put on a carbonator cap and gas them up, almost zero oxygen in the head space.

pint of lager said:
The gas line was cut, and airline quick disconnects were put in. Another airline disconnect was put on the end of the line to the tyre filler chuck. This means it is very quick and simple to swap from the tyre filler chuck back to the line with the keg disconnect on it.

Watch which way round the inline air disconnects go. One side holds pressure, the other doesn't. So depending how you hook everything up, the day you leave the keg disconnect on the keg, and unhook the inline disconnect, beer may shoot everywhere.

I use a ball valve which is teed into the gas line, on the outlet of that I have a John Guest connector. All of my other gadgets like air chuck etc just have a piece of beer line on them and get inserted into the john guest fitting as appropriate.

One I did find using airline disconnects was that some of them cheap or expensive do not like to seal very well with only 15psi or so against the seal. The ball valve is a positive shutoff and you can hear if its leaking pretty quickly

Cheers ausdb

Good idea ausdb... I'll give that a go....

I want to use 2L PET bottles to take beer from my 18L kegs to parties, etc.... I have a few PET bottle tops fitted with tyre valves. After I have transferred the beer from keg to PET bottle can someone please explain to me how I gas these (note - I have a standard gas set-up for 18L kegs).

Reading through previous posts I think I need a tyre chuck, a threaded hose barb and some gas line. How do I connect these to the gas bottle?

Thanks in advance.

FISH

Fish,
I just bought a cheap brass inline quick disconnect(air line fittings) and tyre chuck from Repco and connect the female at the dispense end of the gas line. I then have 2 lines I interchange easily with this set up. One for the tyre chuck(to carb up PET bottles or pump up the kids bike tyres) with a male airline QD fitting. The other line is the standard ball lock QD with the other end being the male airline fitting.

roach

Thanks Roach,

I'll go and get those bits and pieces. Still a bit unsure re. how they all fit together and if I have to cut gas lines, etc... . Once I've got them in my hand it will make more sense.

Does any one have a photo of such a set-up? I'm a bit of a visual learner.

Cheers

Fish

Now I'm with you.

Your a good man Roach - thanks for the help.

FISH

Fish said:
Reading through previous posts I think I need a tyre chuck, a threaded hose barb and some gas line. How do I connect these to the gas bottle?

Thanks in advance.

FISH
[post="92427"][/post]​

Actually, while mucking around the other day, I discovered you can shove a gas disconnect on to a tyre valve, they depress each others pins, and you can gas a PET bottle without the chuck. (that was an old style stainless steel disconnect, but a grey plastic one should work the same). Although you lose a little gas in the process.

Guest Lurker said:
Actually, while mucking around the other day, I discovered you can shove a gas disconnect on to a tyre valve, they depress each others pins, and you can gas a PET bottle without the chuck. (that was an old style stainless steel disconnect, but a grey plastic one should work the same). Although you lose a little gas in the process.

Try inserting a grommet with the appropriate inner and outer diameters into the gas disconnect...then it'll work without blowing gas everywhere ;)

PZ.

Try inserting a grommet with the appropriate inner and outer diameters into the gas disconnect...then it'll work without blowing gas everywhere ;)

PZ.
[post="94238"][/post]​
[/quote]

Thankyou so easy :super: Great stuff :)

Latest posts

Back