Carbonating With Cellamix, Dispensing With Co2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I now have a cylinder of cellamix for my stouts and creamy ales, and a converted fire extinguisher for everything else.

I'm thinking of running 2 kegs at once.

I'd like to carbonate one keg with cellamix, and the other with CO2. I would then use the CO2 to dispense both kegs.

I'm sure it is possible, and the only issue I can see is that over the long run, the Nitrogen levels in the carbonation of the keg carbonated with Cellamix may drop.

Any thoughts?

I now have a cylinder of cellamix for my stouts and creamy ales, and a converted fire extinguisher for everything else.

I'd like to carbonate one keg with cellamix, and the other with CO2. I would then use the CO2 to dispense both kegs.

I'm sure it is possible, and the only issue I can see is that over the long run, the Nitrogen levels in the carbonation of the keg carbonated with Cellamix may drop.

Any thoughts?

If you're determined to only use one gas for dispensing, I'd do it the other way around - carbonate your ales and lagers with CO2 first, then use the Cellarmix to dispense them. The pressure of the Cellarmix will keep the CO2 in solution (in fact Cellarmix is used to prevent overcarbonation of kegs stored in coolrooms with gas connected).

If you're determined to only use one gas for dispensing, I'd do it the other way around - carbonate your ales and lagers with CO2 first, then use the Cellarmix to dispense them. The pressure of the Cellarmix will keep the CO2 in solution (in fact Cellarmix is used to prevent overcarbonation of kegs stored in coolrooms with gas connected).

Won't I lose those lovely draught guinness / kilkenney creamy heads?

Won't I lose those lovely draught guinness / kilkenney creamy heads?

You can still 'carbonate' the stouts with the Cellarmix and dispense with it too, but use straight CO2 to carbonate your non-stout brews, then dispense them using the Cellarmix.

Any thoughts?

I have been using the cellarmix 40 since xmas. I like my English style ales, as this gas gives me a very creamy head and a nice smooth flat taste/finish just what you want in an English beer.(my clients rave about it :super: ) I have found though that a cylinder of cellarmix may last me 6-7 months where as the Co2 I was using lasted me around 12 months. What I am going to do now is get a converted fire extinguisher and carbonate my non english ales but still use the cellarmix for pouring.

BYB

Back