Carbonating Bottles For Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
Hi All,
I was wondering if anyone has any fool proof ways of carbonating flat beer in bottle using a carbonator cap

My schedule for a barleywine was using a carbonator cap and a coopers style pet bottle,

- Add 500 Ml beer at Room Temp
- attached and gas at 30 PSI while shaking for 30 seconds,
- turnoff gas and continue to shake for 10 seconds,
- put in fridge o/night
- quickly remove carb cap and put on standard screw cap

Done,

do you think it wil be over carbonated?

Hi Sinkas
My second place to yours Flanders Red was carbonated in a similar way. I used a 1.25L pet bottle and filled it with 1L of beer, put on the carbonator cap then squeezed it to expel the air from the headspace. I had my gas set to 35PSI then fitted a disconnect to the bottle and shook the crap out of it whilst having the bottle inverted, I waited for it to stop bubbling and absorbing CO then left it for a 10 minutes and came back and did the same thing a few times more till the bottle was nice and hard and it did not want to absorb any more CO. Disconnected the gas line then put it in the fridge overnight at about 2C and same as you the next day gently released pressure from the bottle and changed caps over. I was quite surprised how well carbonated the beer was when it was judged a week later. So if anything I would say you had carbonated yours less than I did.

Sounds good,

I think ill just send it over as is then

Sinkas,

If just topping up the carbonation for a comp - Simply chill & set your gas regulator to the pressure that equates to the correct carbonation you want.
Then simply shake until the bubbles stop. This way you can't over carbonate.

cheers Ross.

Sinkas,

If just topping up the carbonation for a comp - Simply chill & set your gas regulator to the pressure that equates to the correct carbonation you want.
Then simply shake until the bubbles stop. This way you can't over carbonate.

cheers Ross.

Same method as gassing a keg ;)

zakery the same - but you do have to know how cold your beer is, otherwise you can be a fair bit out in either direction. A glass of water thats been sitting on the fridge shelf next to your beer will be the same temp. Measure then set regulator to correct pressure.

I did a very rough job on an RIS I just sent off for vicbrew - I think it might be quite a bit too fizzy.... oh well.

I've struggled using carbonation caps for beers in comps. Lots of comments like "great beer, carb too low" from the judges. I've given up in favour of tried and true bottle priming.

Latest posts

Back