Carbing and aging bottles-keeping under 20C

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies and advice gents. Much appreciated

Hey Truman,

I bottle aged my WA christmas caseswap black IPA in a 30 + degree shed for 4 weeks in Nov/December. It was in the PET bottles and in the box away from the light, but the shed temps were hot.

It seemed to get pretty good reviews and no one complained of off flavours, so make of that what you will. How it will affect the shelf life of the beer is anyones guess.

I store my bottled beer the same way Dan Murphys do. Out the back, in the sun and then on the shelves at 25C all summer.

When Sierra Nevada ship them over in refrigerated containers.

They might as well have put air in the Torpedo.

Storing hoppy beers in 30C will render them bland, but I recall a ricey lager I had in bottle over summer that seemed to respond favourably to being sweated out in a cupboard.

bum said:
It was a valid question the hundreds of times it has been asked before. It was also a valid question the hundreds of times it has been asked by newer brewers than him in the time he has been a very active member of the forum. Obviously, I'm going to be the last person to dig in to someone for being an active participant on the board but it appears he is completely unable to pick up any information on his own. He needs his hand held for every bloodly little thing.

As for "shooting people down", where did I do that (uh, until this post)? Someone made a statement and then I paraphrased a joke from a movie and became the arsehole of the piece.
Ive had people take the piss on me before but they add a :p or a :D So I know its in jest. i have no idea what movie you were paraphrasing so when you dont show your just taking the piss how the hell is anyone supposed to know. Your known to be a shit stirrer so thats how people are going to take it.

As for my question. Ive been told to age at 15-20C and I always have but now my environment has changed and I struggle to keep them at these temps especially when I get home and my house is 34c inside on a 40C day. All I wanted to know was if these extreme temp fluctuations can cause off flavours in my beer as Ive never had to worry about them before. From the responses it seems there is nothing to worry about.
i may very well have been told that this can cause acetaldehyde or some other off flavour that I need to try and control these temp swings and extreme temps.

Then Carniebrew answered a question I had on extended aging which I had never been told before. Just because I am an active member doesnt mean I know everything there is to know about brewing. And have no questions to ask.
Ive never brewed a lager so if I decide to do one and ask a question should I already know the answer because Im an active member on here.

Not every question can be answered by searching and sometimes its good to hear what peoples own opinions are on it. Things change, ideas develop and evolve. Ive read so many times that even the brewers bible "How to brew" often has information in there that is now defunct due to different and ever improving techniques.
RobbieP is new and asks a lot of questions that he could just search the answer for such as his question tonight on how long will it take to carb. But Im happy to help him out and throw in my 2 cents worth and Ive tried helping noobs whenever I can. I dont mind that the questions been asked before. It bumps the question to the top of the searches and adds new content and the sharing of ideas and information and isnt that what a forum is for? Otherwise it would just be a how to brew website.

Theres more than 37 ways to skin a cat.

i have my brews sitting in my garage open to the gods. Temps goes up to mid 30's on a hot day, or every day lately,
if I put a brew in the fridge for a day and drink, its less than its best, if its in for a week than I cant pick any great problem...they may not be award winners but the temps dont do any harm.
I have just aquired a bar fridge so I can now kkep a good stock of brews chilled before drinking and the problem is solved.

Yes, ideally you would carb at 15-20 for a few weeks then store at 4 for 3 months or so before enjoying. Wouldnt that be nice.

Nick JD said:
I recall a ricey lager I had in bottle over summer that seemed to respond favourably to being sweated out in a cupboard.
Interesting. My Spring fermented Rice Lager (~40% rice, S-23, experimental combination of POR and Southern Hallertauer) has developed a strange floral, borderline perfumey taste in the bottles that have been left out over Summer. Not really sure what could be the cause, but I had until now just blamed the heat.

There were some acetaldehyde issues in the beer anyway, so it could have been a fermentation issue just manifesting more with age....

I currently hold the view that warm temps will increase the rate of oxidation, whilst refrigeration may lead to loss of flavour due to precipitation of hop resins and oils.
To some degree the above is dependent on the yeast strain used for fermentation. Whereby lagers will benefit from storage under refrigeration, which is in effect 'lagering'. And the more estery ales would hold there flavour better during cold storage. I would go for a high attenuating yeast with a higher gravity brew in which more caramelized sugars need to be broken down in order for flavour development to occur. Ergo your darker sweeter brews will tolerate warm storage better.

Not sure how oxidation would occur if you have primed your beer and then naturally carbed up in the bottle (as opposed to cpbf'ing which certainly can lead to some oxidisation. The yeast in the bottle will use up any available oxygen when chewing through the priming sugar.

hoppy2B said:
I currently hold the view that warm temps will increase the rate of oxidation, whilst refrigeration may lead to loss of flavour due to precipitation of hop resins and oils.

raven19 said:
Not sure how oxidation would occur if you have primed your beer and then naturally carbed up in the bottle (as opposed to cpbf'ing which certainly can lead to some oxidisation. The yeast in the bottle will use up any available oxygen when chewing through the priming sugar.
it doesnt work that way as mach as poeple would like to believe.there is always oxygen in the bottle no matter what you do and it also gets in under the cap over time and mixes with the co2 in the head space. just try any bottle conditioned beer from uncle dans with any sort of age on it and it will almost always be oxidised even though it still has plenty of yeast in the bottom. if you want to keep beers long term then the cooler the better.

Back