Cans Expired In 2005?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozshots

Reaction score
A friend of mine has abandoned the golden craft of homebrewing couple of years ago.

He brought me his old stocks of cans, expired in 2005. Coopers Stout, Brewiser wheat - all good stuff.
I think the yeast has gone, but about the goo?

Do you think it worth trying to put a fresh yeast and give it a go?

The only thing I would do with it would be a toucan mate with fresh yeast x two packs. Expect the worst and appreciate anything drinkable :eek: I wouldn't mix anything that old with a new can or spend $$ on LDME etc.

If I had several fermenters and wasn't relying on it for beer I'd try it out with low expectation.

A little contrary to cube's advice I'd actually boil one or 2 kits, and add a touch of malt extract (maybe 500g) and a touch of dex (maybe 250 - 500g) and add flavouring hops.

If you only have one fermenter just spend the extra on some new kits. Malt extract does go stale. I'd certainly leave the yeast behind (or boil it up to add extra nutrients).

If you only have one fermenter just spend the extra. Malt extract does go stale.

Ups, he's got Coopers BE2 as well, hard as rock. This what I was going to use...
Throwaway?

PS. I have 3 fermenters, this is why I was considering the experiment... I still will be brewing the good stuff.

Like I said - if you're expectations aren't high and you're prepared to spend the time then why not try it? I'd use the be2 to feed the garden bed though.

I don't think it will make good beer but it's better than dying wondering.

If you can spare the fermenter and don't care if (probably when) it goes south then I can't see a good reason not to use them just to see how it goes. As you say though the yeast won't be worth testing out.

The BE2 being hard won't be a problem in and of itself. I've heard of people using new boxes that were like this without detrimental effect. Not saying the age won't be a problem of course.

Let us know how it goes if you do put it down.

Dont understand why you would even consider using them.. could/would make you sick.
For the cost of a new can, i sure wouldnt risk having to sit on the dunny spraying like a pelican.

Dont understand why you would even consider using them.. could/would make you sick.
For the cost of a new can, i sure wouldnt risk having to sit on the dunny spraying like a pelican.

LOL
you made my day mate :D

A kit tin is not like a tin of tuna or a tub of yoghurt. When you open the tin it should be immediately obvious if there's been any microbiological growth (unlikely).

For my money, I'd prefer fresh ingredients every time but the fact that the question has been posed means the OP is curious. Best way to satisfy that curiosity is to give it a shot knowing the results will probably be rubbish.

If you can get salmonella from an expired kit then it's the first I've heard of it.

Obviously I do not constitute medical advice. When I worked in kitchens the motto was 'if in doubt throw it out'. I only wish some of the people I worked with had adhered to that a little more strictly.

Just having a quick squiz around the net for any decent information on this. The closest I found was this forum post quoting an article on canning unfermented wort for yeast starters. To sum up - while bacteria can grow and survive in unfernmented wort, the boiling process will kill any disease causing micro-organism. It will also kill botulism toxins (but not necessarily other toxins produced prior to boiling).

from here: http://www.brew-monkey.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=862 It's a little bit could be/ couldn't be though.

Maybe try emailing Coopers and asking specifically about food poirsoning as this topic does come up regularly so it would be good to get some real information.

If their advice is ok then I'd suggest if you are curious enough proceed with caution - open and smell the tin first. If you think it's ok boil it for 60 minutes.

If the indecision is too much use it as a doorstop.

Probably not worth the fuss in the end.

I think it'll be alright but the color might be darker than usual. The cans that is, not the BE.

I've just emailed coopers to find out about any associated disease causing micro-organisms. Will update if and when they reply.

You may, and it's a long shot, get a little mould or bacterial growth on the inside top lid of the can where condensation forms during storage.

However, there are more fundamental reasons not to brew with it. The sky is blue, water is wet and old extract tastes like rubbish.

You may, and it's a long shot, get a little mould or bacterial growth on the inside top lid of the can where condensation forms during storage.

However, there are more fundamental reasons not to brew with it. The sky is blue, water is wet and old extract tastes like rubbish.

IMO your gamer than Ned Kelly if you want to drink that shyte ! :icon_drool2: Grab yourself a 20 and head down to your LHB.

I've never opened a rotten can of anything, ever. The best it can taste is like kit beer, the worst ... like kit beer!

I've never opened a rotten can of anything, ever. The best it can taste is like kit beer, the worst ... like kit beer!

that's what I reckon, I've eaten tinned peaches over 10 years old, what's the diff?

I made a coopers pale ale kit which was two years out of date for my first brew, it came with the second haned fermenter etc that i bought.

The beer ended up being the worst smelling and tasting thing ever, it smelt like sh#t

Mix it all together and make a stout give it all a good boil had a ten year old can the flavour was much stronger but not bad

I thought this forum was to promote making decent beers? Throw the shit out and get the freshest kit you can find. Everyone knows that a kit even half way through it's use by period is going to produce a poorer beer than a fresh one.

QldKev

OK, So here's the GO. Canned kits are marked for sale within 2 YEARS.

I'm no microbiologist, but I reckon if there were no bugs in the can for 2 years.. there can't be in there after 4 years or even 14 years for that matter.

As glaab says, 10 year old peaches are fantastic, why not wort? I work in a home brew shop, and we discount kits that are expired, and they ALWAYS sell quickly.. with never a complaint.

I say 100% BREW IT! I think it will most likely make decent beer, and it won't hurt you in any way.

Let us know how it turns out.

Actualy, but a new kit exactly the same and brew it at the same time. Then taste test them side by side....

Or Not....

Back