Can You Pull These Fermenter Taps Apart To Clean?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Is it possible to pull these style fermenter taps apart to clean?

View attachment 50315

I tried to prise the tap off with a screw driver but didnt want to force it. Is there a trick to it or can it not be done?

Yeah, you can. Someone posted a guide somewhere. Long story short: set the tap to exactly halfway between on and off, put a wooden spoon inside the threaded end, rest the nozzle on a bench or something and bang it with a hammer or something. Should pop out reasonably easily.

Is it possible to pull these style fermenter taps apart to clean?

View attachment 50315

I tried to prise the tap off with a screw driver but didnt want to force it. Is there a trick to it or can it not be done?

Yes, you can pull them apart to clean. And you should.

I put the tap handle in the vice and then just wrench the back part off. It can be difficult on a new tap but the lip soon wears and after a few times they come apart fairly easy. Give it a clean/sanitise and then it will just pop back together by hand.

I can see from your picture that yours needs to come apart for a clean ;)

Cheers Cocko, that's what I was referring to.

Should be easier to just buy a new one? Giving the fact that they are only a couple of dollars each.

Whenever I'm in the BGS I just grab a handful for $2 each.

They're 88 cents each where I shop and I still clean them.... :icon_cheers:

Thanks guys..That guide is awesome.

I figured there must have been a way to get them apart. I know there cheap but I dont want to throw away a tap that was used once. I would at least like to get a few brews poured through it.

And yes peaky mine needs cleaning as you can see from the pics.. :icon_cheers:

Another tip when cleaning these taps is to drop them into a cup of boiling water to soften the plastic before pushing them apart. Word of warning tho...placing the tap on the bench to dissemble can be hazzardous if the tap slips. I usually hold the tap in a tea towel and push the spindle out using a rod in my hands only ie.. dont push against a surface.

Latest posts

Back