Can Someone Check My Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No worries. Be sure to post how it goes, particularly the smoke level as a smoked porter is something on my list, as well as a smoked hefeweizen, so I'm curious as to levels of smoked malt vs flavour.

No worries. Be sure to post how it goes, particularly the smoke level as a smoked porter is something on my list, as well as a smoked hefeweizen, so I'm curious as to levels of smoked malt vs flavour.

No worries mate, hopefully its not an epic failure :huh: haha

Mate, thats awesome, I dont have promash or beersmith due to not having the net at home, and I cant download anything like that from work, so cheers for putting that through... Those IBU's look about right, I think ill go with those hop additions...

And you were spot on with the water volume as well, according to thirsty it should be about 30.75litres

Cheers for all the help
Bloke I havent used it but here is a link to Beer Reciprocator which is online brewing software. It may help you with some of your tweaking (and productivity at work :lol: ).
Cheers
Doug

Bloke I havent used it but here is a link to Beer Reciprocator which is online brewing software. It may help you with some of your tweaking (and productivity at work :lol: ).
Cheers
Doug

Mate thats wicked, cheers heaps...

Productivity just went out the window :D Allthough, it allready had seeing as its friday and there were a few pints had last night :lol: Good times... lol

Depends on what IBU you are aiming for, how much you want to add late...
Do you have a tool like promash or beersmith to use?
You don't say how much of those hops you have either...

Here's one possibility, with Fuggles/Goldings and a bittering and flavour addition only. Decide if you want an aroma one and add some at 0 minutes or else dry hop.
I put in the grains you outlined. I haven't changed it from my current efficiency. I don't know about BIAB but I suspect first time you'll get less efficiency than 70%.
I'm not sure about the boil volume part with BIAB either, so I put in 30, as I think you said somewhere you have a 35L pot? That's about the most you'll want to boil probably then.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 59.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2000.00 gm Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 42.55 %
1000.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 21.28 %
500.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 10.64 %
500.00 gm Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 10.64 %
300.00 gm Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6.38 %
300.00 gm Crystal, Dark (Bairds) (216.7 EBC) Grain 6.38 %
100.00 gm Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 2.13 %
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

With Ben on this one reviled. As Ben knows I find Goldings tends to dissapear a little so I would up the bittering addition to 25g. My guess was OG of 1.041 for a 22L batch as I only had the efficiency at 65% for a first timer using the BIAB method. Using 04 yeast, at a guess with this efficiency it will finish this beer at about 1.014 a tad sweet so upping the bitterness a little would be fine. The reason I went with a relatively neutral yeast like Nottingham was so that the smoked malt would not disappear into yeast and hop flavour and aromas.

Cheers,

Screwy

No worries mate, hopefully its not an epic failure :huh: haha

It will not be a failure. Its your first AG, it'll be bloody sensational...and you'll soon be doing them every spare few hours you can! Have fun and let us know how your day goes.
Cheers
Steve

Edit.....go the SO4

It will not be a failure. Its your first AG, it'll be bloody sensational...and you'll soon be doing them every spare few hours you can! Have fun and let us know how your day goes.
Cheers
Steve

+1 :D

With Ben on this one reviled. As Ben knows I find Goldings tends to dissapear a little so I would up the bittering addition to 25g. My guess was OG of 1.041 for a 22L batch as I only had the efficiency at 65% for a first timer using the BIAB method. Using 04 yeast, at a guess with this efficiency it will finish this beer at about 1.014 a tad sweet so upping the bitterness a little would be fine. The reason I went with a relatively neutral yeast like Nottingham was so that the smoked malt would not disappear into yeast and hop flavour and aromas.

Cheers,

Screwy

Cheers screwy, so in saying that about the yeast, if I had to choose over s-04 or US-05, would I be better with US-05 due to it not having as much aroma?

with screwy on the nottingham , its a great yeast in my porter...

can't access my beersmith on this computer "daughters" but my smoked porter gos something like this
this was a biab I did , the scrap of paper in the brew file says we enjoyed it and should brew more LOL

5kg pale ale
.5 dark crystal
.5 dark munich
.25 amber
.25 choc
.25 smoke
.05 roast
fuggles and ekg to around 38 ibu
nottingham

I brew plenty of porter and the recipe is still based on this roughly....

cheers

I hope you guys are right, its all really confusing to me, alot more confusing that what im used to, but I think ive got my head around everything...

I was in the same boat a couple of years ago reviled....but once I got my head around it, it was a breeze. Although this isnt BIAB this link was what helped me get my head around brewing AG. The pics and explanation made it all fall into place. Go to the bottom of the page and follow the pics.

http://cruisenews.net/brewing/infusion/

Cheers
Steve

with screwy on the nottingham , its a great yeast in my porter...

can't access my beersmith on this computer "daughters" but my smoked porter gos something like this
this was a biab I did , the scrap of paper in the brew file says we enjoyed it and should brew more LOL

5kg pale ale
.5 dark crystal
.5 dark munich
.25 amber
.25 choc
.25 smoke
.05 roast
nottingham

cheers

Could you even taste the smoke in that? Was it Weyermann smoked malt?

And I hear alot about nottingham, but cant get it anywhere in NZ <_< This country sucks when it comes to home brew...

Cheers screwy, so in saying that about the yeast, if I had to choose over s-04 or US-05, would I be better with US-05 due to it not having as much aroma?

Not for this beer, my personal choice only would be between Nottingham and 04 in that order.

5kg pale ale
.5 dark crystal
.5 dark munich
.25 amber
.25 choc
.25 smoke
.05 roast
nottingham

Thanks Ned, did you use Wey Rauch Malt (smoked) or Baird Peat Smoked for yours. Peat smoked really needs to be kept low, while Rauch can be used as high as total base malt.

Cheers,

Screwy

Thanks Ned, did you use Wey Rauch Malt (smoked) or Baird Peat Smoked for yours. Peat smoked really needs to be kept low, while Rauch can be used as high as total base malt.

Cheers,

Screwy

Hard to say , didn't know what I was ordering back then Lol....
In my small and limited experience I recon a smoke base would be overpowering , I like too get the choc flavor with a smokey hint , but thats us ...

I know that I have peat smoked in the 45lt sitting in the fermenting cupboard now and it smells great...

cheers

Ps, I seem to remember talking to you about cara aroma for these as well , I have added that too my recipe now days but diden't want too add anymore too confuse poor old reviled further... this was my starting point for a smoked choc porter...

cheers

Ive gotta say, I love smoke :lol: Smoked food is fantastic, I smoked ciggis for 9 years and quit cold turkey at the start of the year, so over 8 months now without, and the idea of a smoked beer seems the best idea to get back my enjoyment of a ciggarette and a beer at the same time, without the filthy smoking part of course... :p

A big smoke taste is what im after, with hints of roasted/chocolate malts B)

Well, I did my BIAB smoked porter yesterday, read my rant here if you want...

The recipe I went with in the end was this.

2kg Weyermann smoked malt
1kg Marris otter malt
500grams Golden Promise
500grams Munich
300grams Dark Crystal
275grams Chocolate malt
100grams Black malt

60 min hops : 25grams fuggles, 20grams goldings
15 min hops : 20 grams fuggles, 20 grams goldings
flame out : 15 grams cascade

Its sitting in my cube as we speak, and ive gotta say, I will not be going back to extract...

Its sitting in my cube as we speak, and ive gotta say, I will not be going back to extract...
Just wait till you taste it :beerbang: . Then you wont even want to drink the extract brews you currently have in the bottle, let alone make another one. :lol:

Just wait till you taste it :beerbang: . Then you wont even want to drink the extract brews you currently have in the bottle, let alone make another one. :lol:

lol, what do I do with the 100 odd litres I have in bottles :unsure: Maybe I should keep them for when I have friends round, and drink the AG myself :icon_drool2:

I put it in a fermenter last night and put the heater belt on, pitched the yeast at about 20-21 degrees, I was surprised because when I woke up this morning it was fermenting like crazy!!! I didnt rehydrate the yeast, didnt stir it in, just sprinkled my packet of S-04 straight onto the wort, and allready its going nuts?!?! Normally with my extract brews it would take minimum 24 hours to start bubbling... All good signs im guessing?

Now ive got this really bad itchy feeling to do more brewing...

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, my OG last night was 1052, not bad :super:

Well, I did my BIAB smoked porter yesterday

Brewers, I'd like to welcome NZ's latest AG'er congrats mate

lol, what do I do with the 100 odd litres I have in bottles :unsure: Maybe I should keep them for when I have friends round, and drink the AG myself :icon_drool2:

Now your catchin on

All good signs im guessing?

All Good

Now ive got this really bad itchy feeling to do more brewing...

Yeah, you've got the bug already.

At 4.675Kg of grain in a 22L batch I make your efficiency over 80% pretty high for a first timer.

Back