Can Someone Check My Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Im planning on doing my first BIAB this weekend, now ive been wanting to do a smoked beer for ages and ages, but obviously with smoked malt needing to be mashed needed to wait untill I move to either partial or AG...

So now is the time B)

Heres what ive been thinking, a sort of smoked porter -ish type beer...

2kg Weyermann smoked malt
1kg Marris otter malt
500grams Golden Promise
500grams Munich
300grams Dark Crystal
300grams Chocolate malt
200grams Black malt

Any ideas/feedback? Im not planning to use too much malt am I? Also interested on hop feedback with this one, ive been thinking fuggles goldings and cascade???

Cheers

I don't know much about smoked beer, but I'd think you'd have a hard time tasting anything but roast. That's going to be a very black beer.

Just from looking at the only other smoked recipes on the forum I could find:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=538
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=165

The amount of smoked grain seems like a lot, it might be over powering. Perhaps google a recipe for a smoked porter or use mje1980's Husky Porter (first link above) as a guide. It's your first AG, it will pay to follow a recipe rather than making it from scratch imo.

Actually, mje comments that he can't taste or smell the smoke. Ehhhh, perhaps your recipe is all good.

I have a book on smoked beer which states that the Weyermann Smoked malt (which is what I have) is not excessively smoky and can be used easily for a base malt without an overpowering smoke taste... So I thought using it as the bulk of my recipe would be good...

In regards to the "very black beer". Isnt that a good thing :rolleyes: I like roasty flavours excessively, allthough id love it to be accompanied by a nice smoky taste... Should I cut back the black malt a bit?

And I know I should be copying a recipe for my first AG, but ive been waiting so long for this and im far too excited to not do it..

What hops would go well with this do you think?

Im definately no smoked ale expert but I did one recently. It was a double batch and I used 1kg out of a 9kg grain bill. It was just evident in the final beer. I would probably up it to 1.5kg next time. If I was doing your receipe I would have 3kg MO and only 500gms - 1kg Smoked. Drop the GP. What type is the Black malt you mention? If its Black roasted malt 200gms (in my opinion) is too much, drop it to 50gms. For the hops id go with Goldings and fuggles.
Cheers
Steve

Im definately no smoked ale expert but I did one recently. It was a double batch and I used 1kg out of a 9kg grain bill. It was just evident in the final beer. I would probably up it to 1.5kg next time. If I was doing your receipe I would have 3kg MO and only 500gms - 1kg Smoked. Drop the GP. What type is the Black malt you mention? If its Black roasted malt 200gms (in my opinion) is too much, drop it to 50gms. For the hops id go with Goldings and fuggles.
Cheers
Steve

Why drop the GP? Not good for the style? I really like it tho, allthough it wasnt a dark beer I tried that had used it...

The black malt is Black Patent Porter Malt, not sure if thats roasted or not? Would assume so?

Why drop the GP? Not good for the style? I really like it tho, allthough it wasnt a dark beer I tried that had used it...

I doubt you would notice 500gms of it being in there. Why dont you swap the MO for GP?

I don't know much about smoked beer, but I'd think you'd have a hard time tasting anything but roast. That's going to be a very black beer.

Don't understand Wardhog? theres no roast malt in the grainbill, correct for a porter. But there certainly is a lot of choc and black malt for a standard porter, which is what it looks like at < 5Kg of malt, but who knows what your batch size is.

What OG are you aiming for reviled, and for bitterness use something with a bit of grunt for bittering a porter, when it comes to IBU's you need to think about OG and what FG you will end up with, this depends on your choice of mash temp, yeast strain, pitch amount and fermentation temp. Late Fuggle would add some floral/spicey flavour and aroma if thats what you are looking for in your beer.

Screwy

Ahh i love Rauchbier- Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen. perfect to knock off at anytime!

Gave some to SWMBO, I got a smile and "it tastes like bacon!" I now refer to any smoke beers with her as bacon beers.

Ive gotta brew myself a Rauch or something else with rauchmalt. Smoked porter? Barleywine? or a Smoked ESB?

Don't understand Wardhog? theres no roast malt in the grainbill, correct for a porter. But there certainly is a lot of choc and black malt for a standard porter, which is what it looks like at < 5Kg of malt, but who knows what your batch size is.

What OG are you aiming for reviled, and for bitterness use something with a bit of grunt for bittering a porter, when it comes to IBU's you need to think about OG and what FG you will end up with, this depends on your choice of mash temp, yeast strain, pitch amount and fermentation temp. Late Fuggle would add some floral/spicey flavour and aroma if thats what you are looking for in your beer.

Screwy

To be honest, the main reason I was going for a GP and MO mix, is cos I only have 1kg of MO at the mo and exactly 500 grams of GP :p I thought it would work well, but well see...

And it seems I need to drop the chocolate and black malt a bit? Maybe 200grams chocolate, 100 grams black malt?

Not sure what OG I was going for, I was thinking final batch size of 23 litres, but that brings on another question, what should my initial water volume be? This is all new to me, im trying ;)

The late fuggles sound like what im after...

Im planning on doing my first BIAB this weekend, now ive been wanting to do a smoked beer for ages and ages, but obviously with smoked malt needing to be mashed needed to wait untill I move to either partial or AG...

So now is the time B)

Heres what ive been thinking, a sort of smoked porter -ish type beer...

2kg Weyermann smoked malt
1kg Marris otter malt
500grams Golden Promise
500grams Munich
300grams Dark Crystal
300grams Chocolate malt
200grams Black malt

Any ideas/feedback? Im not planning to use too much malt am I? Also interested on hop feedback with this one, ive been thinking fuggles goldings and cascade???

Cheers

Hi Reviled,

I did a smoked choc porter with the following details a couple of months back:

71% pale malt (Maris Otter)
8% pale choc (Bairds)
5% dark crystal (Bairds)
15% rauch (Weyermann)
1% black (Bairds)

With a London Ale yeast (Wyeast 1028), OG of 1050, 35BU with EKG, single infusion @ 67 degrees.

Turned out really nice, if anything it was too smooth and needed a bit more beef from the black malt, maybe would up it to 2% next time. With 15% Rauch, I got a really subtle, yet distinct smokey flavour that was the dominant taste coming through in the finished beer. I'm still not sure how well the rauch goes with the yeast selection, the smoke with the fruity esters is "interesting".

Next time I would go more for a classic rauch bier, with a less aromatic yeast. I have tried a rauch with about 90% smoked malt and it was awesome, but super-smokey!

I would definitely drop the black malt back if I were you (100grams sounds good to me, others may say 50), but nothing wrong with the amount of choc IMO.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

To be honest, the main reason I was going for a GP and MO mix, is cos I only have 1kg of MO at the mo and exactly 500 grams of GP :p I thought it would work well, but well see...

And it seems I need to drop the chocolate and black malt a bit? Maybe 200grams chocolate, 100 grams black malt?

Not sure what OG I was going for, I was thinking final batch size of 23 litres, but that brings on another question, what should my initial water volume be? This is all new to me, im trying ;)

The late fuggles sound like what im after...

I don't see any prob with the mix of base malt or the amount of smoke malt, it's a Porter not a Rauch Beer. See what others think of maybe 400 Crystal 200 Choc and 100 Black to suit the rest of your malt bill for a dark porter. 22L batch should be around 1.040 OG, just there for a Porter. Are you restricted to the hops mentioned, what about Maybe 10g of Magnum for 60 min for bittering with 40g of Fuggle at 30 min and Nottingham yeast. See what comments others have re this. Ultimately the choice is yours re colour flavour and aroma, there's no reason to stick to style, (did I say that :lol:) after all it is going to be a smoked porter.

Screwy

Maybe roast is the wrong word to use, I don't know. My comment was directed at the (what seems to me) large amount of black malt in the recipe. What's the difference between black malt and roast malt?

I don't see any prob with the mix of base malt or the amount of smoke malt, it's a Porter not a Rauch Beer. See what others think of maybe 400 Crystal 200 Choc and 100 Black to suit the rest of your malt bill for a dark porter. 22L batch should be around 1.040 OG, just there for a Porter. Are you restricted to the hops mentioned, what about Maybe 10g of Magnum for 60 min for bittering with 40g of Fuggle at 30 min and Nottingham yeast. See what comments others have re this. Ultimately the choice is yours re colour flavour and aroma, there's no reason to stick to style, (did I say that :lol: ) after all it is going to be a smoked porter.

Screwy

It depends if you want a Porter-based smoked beer, or a Porter with a hint of smoke :) . I reckon it's all about balancing the smokiness, sweetness and fruitiness from hops and yeast, in terms of both flavour and aroma. If I brewed something along these lines again, I would stick with noble bittering hops only and use a very clean yeast with no fruity esters. In other words, I would probably just brew a rauch! Sweetness and maltiness work with the smoke for me, but the fruitiness can be a bit weirdo.

I reckon you have to give it a go though, and as Screwy says, you don't need to stick to style (something I always get distracted by), just work out what type of beer you want.

Cheers for the replys guys, im pretty sorted on the malt im gonna use now.. Im gonna stick with my amount of chocolate and crystal and just down the black malt to 100grams

The hops I currently have in the fridge are : Cascade, fuggles, Goldings, Nugget, Williamette, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Hallertau, and Saaz..

I cant really afford any more hops at this stage, so out of these ill prolly go for fuggles and goldings, and maybe a little cascade...

In regards to yeast, ill be looking at either muntons gold, S-04 or US-05 (cant get nottingham <_< )

I still dont really know what my initial water volume should be??? If im going for 22 litres what should I start out with? 27 litres??? :huh:

Cheers for the replys guys, im pretty sorted on the malt im gonna use now.. Im gonna stick with my amount of chocolate and crystal and just down the black malt to 100grams

The hops I currently have in the fridge are : Cascade, fuggles, Goldings, Nugget, Williamette, Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Hallertau, and Saaz..

I cant really afford any more hops at this stage, so out of these ill prolly go for fuggles and goldings, and maybe a little cascade...

In regards to yeast, ill be looking at either muntons gold, S-04 or US-05 (cant get nottingham <_< )

I still dont really know what my initial water volume should be??? If im going for 22 litres what should I start out with? 27 litres??? :huh:
I'd go with s04 for a smoked porter myself, s05 at a pinch.
I'd stick with Fuggles/Golding as a combo, with a little Williamette if you need some extra.

But that's me. Not saying the combo won't work, sometimes you never know until you try...

I'd go with s04 for a smoked porter myself, s05 at a pinch.
I'd stick with Fuggles/Golding as a combo, with a little Williamette if you need some extra.

But that's me. Not saying the combo won't work, sometimes you never know until you try...

How many grams do you think?

How many grams do you think?

Depends on what IBU you are aiming for, how much you want to add late...
Do you have a tool like promash or beersmith to use?
You don't say how much of those hops you have either...

Here's one possibility, with Fuggles/Goldings and a bittering and flavour addition only. Decide if you want an aroma one and add some at 0 minutes or else dry hop.
I put in the grains you outlined. I haven't changed it from my current efficiency. I don't know about BIAB but I suspect first time you'll get less efficiency than 70%.
I'm not sure about the boil volume part with BIAB either, so I put in 30, as I think you said somewhere you have a 35L pot? That's about the most you'll want to boil probably then.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 59.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2000.00 gm Smoked Malt (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 42.55 %
1000.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 21.28 %
500.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 10.64 %
500.00 gm Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett)Grain 10.64 %
300.00 gm Chocolate Malt (Joe White) (750.6 EBC) Grain 6.38 %
300.00 gm Crystal, Dark (Bairds) (216.7 EBC) Grain 6.38 %
100.00 gm Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 2.13 %
20.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.40 %] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
20.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.9 IBU
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [4.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mate, thats awesome, I dont have promash or beersmith due to not having the net at home, and I cant download anything like that from work, so cheers for putting that through... Those IBU's look about right, I think ill go with those hop additions...

And you were spot on with the water volume as well, according to thirsty it should be about 30.75litres

Cheers for all the help

Back