Can I Not Use An Airlock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eteo

Reaction score
Hi, my second brew. In both my first and second, I did not see any bubbling but I know that fermentation did take place (because of SG readings and alcohol in the beer). On my second brew the when I moved the fermentor for bottling the air lock water got sucked back into the fermentor. I wonder if I can omit the air lock since the Coopers fermentor that I am using seems not to be air tight anyway? Does anyone know what size bung I need to cover the air lock hole? Thanks a lot.

Doesn't matter if you use the airlock or not really, as long as everything is clean.

You can leave the airlock in if you can't find a bung. Just remember to losen the lid prior to bottling or transferring.

Sloth.

Hi, my second brew. In both my first and second, I did not see any bubbling but I know that fermentation did take place (because of SG readings and alcohol in the beer). On my second brew the when I moved the fermentor for bottling the air lock water got sucked back into the fermentor. I wonder if I can omit the air lock since the Coopers fermentor that I am using seems not to be air tight anyway? Does anyone know what size bung I need to cover the air lock hole? Thanks a lot.

If you must see bubbles check/replace the O ring in the lid, otherwise I find it easy using blowoff tubes. One jug of water in the fermenter fridge and all blowoff tubes dunked in it. Just buy some 1.5M lengths of clear tube (think about 12mm OD, measure your grommet holes), shove it in the grommet hole. I used to have the problem too, everytime I removed a fermenter from the fridge it sucked back sanitiser from the airlock. Just pull out the tube before lifting the fermenter. Much easier to clean up when your yeast gets over excited also.

Eteo, if your fermenter isnt up to scratch and you just got it , call coopers and they will more than likely replace it for you , i had a similar problem a few years back with a poorly sealing fermenter and they couriered out a new one in a couple of days ...

Eteo, if your fermenter isnt up to scratch and you just got it , call coopers and they will more than likely replace it for you , i had a similar problem a few years back with a poorly sealing fermenter and they couriered out a new one in a couple of days ...

Yeah, do that then replace the O ring or just use it with gladwrap over the opening, 2 fermenters, gotta love that, brewery growth. er Brewery additions sounds better.

the one i had issues with wasnt the o ring it was a moulding problem with the thread on the lid / fermenter , would spin up but when you gave it that last bit to tighten it onto the seal it would kick over and not get a good seal and leaking out of the lid seal therefore not allowing the airlock to bubble....

the one i had issues with wasnt the o ring it was a moulding problem with the thread on the lid / fermenter , would spin up but when you gave it that last bit to tighten it onto the seal it would kick over and not get a good seal and leaking out of the lid seal therefore not allowing the airlock to bubble....

Still have two 30L fermenters like that, the top of the threaded neck at the mould joints is slightly lower and even when the top is screwed down tightly, if you push in on the side of the fermenter and listen near the lid air can be heard escaping. Have fixed this by buying some white O rings which are slightly thicker and seal properly.

Like the guys said, you don't need the airlock. I just screw my lid down lightly these days.

To make good use of that hole, I have a stainless steel keg dip tube (from your home brew shop) with the end sealed up with aquarium sealant. This slides through the O-ring and into the brew. Into this goes the probe from an aquarium thermometer or tempertature controller and gives you accurate temperature monitoring or control of your brew.

The only over-excited brew I've had was also at a time when I used to luckily use a blow-off tube. You have to have some luck in your early brewing days! I'm sure that when I start experimenting with a variety of yeasts, I'm going to wake up to a bit of a shock one day and regret not having an extra hole for the blow-off tube :rolleyes:

Cheers
PP

Back