Can I Increase Abv With Extra Priming?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalpets

Reaction score
I have just made a batch of beer that is currently fermenting. The ingredients I used, with the exception of the yeast, are old (18mths). As expected the OG was quite a bit lower (around 1.032) than the recommended of 1.042. If the final recommended gravity is reached this equates to the lowest end of light commercial beers giving an ABV of approx 2.62%.

If I increase the rate of priming beyond the normal for this brew would that result in a higher ABV or just more CO2. I'm using 750ml PET bottles so an explosive problem is unlikely with any extra priming.

Thanks

Result= Ultra fizzy beer with the possibility of explosion (even PET can explode) and a slight ABV incresase.

If you want to increase abv you can add more sugar/malt etc to the fermenter and let it ferment out - you will avoid these problems.

Flavour and body will change - possibly for the better, possibly for the worst depending on what the beer is and how you do it.

If you boil up some sugar and water, allow it to cool and add it in after ferment (and the yeast can cope) in small stages you will fare better.

It will start fermenting again - let it finish properly before bottling, whatever material you bottle in.

I have just made a batch of beer that is currently fermenting. The ingredients I used, with the exception of the yeast, are old (18mths). As expected the OG was quite a bit lower than the optimum (around 1.032) which equates to the lowest end of light commercial beers.

If I increase the rate of priming beyond the calculated optimum would that result in a higher ABV or just more CO2. I'm using 750ml PET bottles so an explosive problem is unlikely with extra priming.

Thanks
Using PET bottles doesn't guarantee against bottle bombs. Just means no glass flying around the place.
If you need to add alcohol to the brew then I would add it to the fermenter and let it ferment out, may also need a little hop tea to balance the extra sugars.
Then prime as normal.
Nige

Edit:- you need to be quick to beat manticle!

NO! it doesnt work that way. cant see old extract being a problem, What was your recipe? the extract if liquid will taste different if its old or out of date but as far as I know the sugar stays there so the fermentability will be the same just taste changes.

did you put water in the fermenter first then mix the ingredients in? I ask this as water might of been in the tap which courses a false reading. also can happen if you mix all ingredients in a pot and dump that in then fill up it will read higher. You gotto mix it in well then discard the first 1/4-1/2 the hydro sample so you get the right reading.

If you really want to add more malt (yes add malt not dex or sugar) I would do it to the primary boil up say 1lt of water and add maybe 200-500g of LDME and mix into the boiling water. cover in glad wrap and cool in a water bath and dump into the fermenter. Its a must to boil the water and best to boil the water and LDME for at least 5 mins as well so use a pot then put lid on put in bath of water (no need for glad wrap with a lid if you put the lid on while its boiling for a few mins so the steam sanitises the lid)

If you add more sugar to prime the bottle they may not explode being PET but when you open them half the bottle will foam up and end up on the ground and when pouring you will get half head half beer. so always adjust in primary NEVER in bottle

haha beaten by a long shot! also forgot to say let it ferment out in primary so wait another 5 days at least I think

NO! it doesnt work that way. cant see old extract being a problem, What was your recipe? the extract if liquid will taste different if its old or out of date but as far as I know the sugar stays there so the fermentability will be the same just taste changes.

did you put water in the fermenter first then mix the ingredients in? I ask this as water might of been in the tap which courses a false reading. also can happen if you mix all ingredients in a pot and dump that in then fill up it will read higher. You gotto mix it in well then discard the first 1/4-1/2 the hydro sample so you get the right reading.

If you really want to add more malt (yes add malt not dex or sugar) I would do it to the primary boil up say 1lt of water and add maybe 200-500g of LDME and mix into the boiling water. cover in glad wrap and cool in a water bath and dump into the fermenter. Its a must to boil the water and best to boil the water and LDME for at least 5 mins as well so use a pot then put lid on put in bath of water (no need for glad wrap with a lid if you put the lid on while its boiling for a few mins so the steam sanitises the lid)

If you add more sugar to prime the bottle they may not explode being PET but when you open them half the bottle will foam up and end up on the ground and when pouring you will get half head half beer. so always adjust in primary NEVER in bottle

Unfortunately I do not have the recipe. It was a Boston cream ale that the previous owners of Grumpy's supplied as a partial mash and the old forum does not now exist.

What stage of the primary fermentation would you recommend that I add the extra LDME. Day one of the fermentation @ 16*C is nearly complete, using Safale US 05. I used filtered tap water. I will also be doing a secondary fermentation in a Betterbottle.

Unfortunately I do not have the recipe. It was a Boston cream ale that the previous owners of Grumpy's supplied as a partial mash and the old forum does not now exist.

What stage of the primary fermentation would you recommend that I add the extra LDME. Day one of the fermentation @ 16*C is nearly complete, using Safale US 05. I used filtered tap water. I will also be doing a secondary fermentation in a Betterbottle.
Dalpets,

I think Kelbygreen might be onto it.....The reading might be a bit out.

I made this kit twice and my records show OG was 1038 and 1040 with 24L + 23L respectively.

The freshness of kits is important for flavour, but in your case - the sugars from the can and the masterbrew mix won't go anywhere.

I reckon just go ahead and bottle as normal. Should be around 4% mate.

PB

Dalpets,

I think Kelbygreen might be onto it.....The reading might be a bit out.

I made this kit twice and my records show OG was 1038 and 1040 with 24L + 23L respectively.

The freshness of kits is important for flavour, but in your case - the sugars from the can and the masterbrew mix won't go anywhere.

I reckon just go ahead and bottle as normal. Should be around 4% mate.

PB

Fair enough. I only made a 21 litre batch. Probably would have been better @ 20 litres given the questionably low OG. All my ingredients for the partial mash & boil were dry, including 2.5K of ageing malt grain.

any time you can add it if you can bump the temps up to 17-18 if not 16 is fine but will be more likely to stall and will take longer I always ferment at 18.5c with US05 never had a problem, I have seen a few threads of the late with it stalling not sure why as I havnt had this. I put normal tap water into the brew but usually boil 13lts up as I do extract so that is only part boiled. Fermenting wort is like the perfect breeding ground for bacteria, This is why anything added once fermentation starts should be boiled for good measure. I have not had a infection and I have added more malt once threw fermentation.

You will be right it may be a case of a bit of water in the tap but if you want to add more add more maybe do a hop tea. put some boiling water into a coffee cup and dump like 20g of hop of choice in there and leave covered in glad wrap for 20-30 mins and put into the malt solution you have and cool the both before addind to the fermenter. This way you have more hop flavour as by the sound of its its a old partial fresh wort kit??

Edit: I just thought about it and 1lt of water and 1kg of malt is 1040 gravity so maybe put 1kg into 1lt of water and boil the hops in that for 20 mins you will evaporate off some water so may end up with a 1050-1060 gravity after the boil or you could boil for longer (say 40 mins) and add hops 20mins into boil so the gravity will be greater

Edit: I just thought about it and 1lt of water and 1kg of malt is 1040 gravity

Err, 1kg of LDME or Dex in 1l water is about 1.365 Shirely...

100g in 1l will give you about 1.038...? i thought?

...there's nothing to stop you adding all kinds of sugaz to your brew, at any time; remember that yeasts will only tolerate a certain level of alcohol and that pure sugars + yeast only might leave a harsh taste (unless you're distilling), maybe consider balancing the brew with extra hops/worms/soot/wasps... etc...

How do you stop the wasps from stinging the kittens? I don't want my beer to get infected. Or is that what the gladwrap is for?

haha yeah scuffy was a bit to tired last night dunno how I could of thought that but I dont think my brain was working with the 2 hours of sleep i had the night before

Nah, aluminium - that way I'll forget the information that it doesn't block out. :ph34r:

You make a valid point. I find that drinking copious amounts of beer also helps me to forget the secrets that the government are so keen to get their hands on.

Before we go any further off topic, has it been established that Dalpets shouldn't overprime to get his alcohol % up? I'd leave the brew to finish personally. I'd love to be able to brew a good low alc beer, my last 3 batches have ended up being 7.5% or over due to counting wrong when weighing grain, either that or I got efficiency somewhere in the 90's.

I think the general rule is that standard carbonation will add 0.5% alcohol content to your beer.
So 1 carbonation drop per 375ml will increase ur abv by 0.5%
adding double the carbonation will only increase it by 1%, but as everyone has said u will have a very gassy beer and risk plenty of bombs

How do you stop the wasps from stinging the kittens? I don't want my beer to get infected. Or is that what the gladwrap is for?

And then Prince Charles started wearing Lady Diana's underwear.... nice one Bum!

IIR, ThirstyBoy had a pic of his hand after a PET bottle exploded...really, really nasty.

I know someone who used to double prime his old VB stubbies but only fill them to 3/4. It will up the ABV by maybe .5% and when he twisted off the tops they hit the ceiling of any party with a bang!! I'd be scared though having them rattle around in the back of the car on the way to the party.

Latest posts

Back