Can Fermenting Go To Far ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pourmeanother

Reaction score
Hi again all

Wondering what happens if the brew is left in the fermenter to long ? I thought fermenting would not be finished until there was no activity in the airlock and then i would check with the hydrometer . Its a Coopers Canadian Blonde with BE1 as per the basic recipie SG 1035 sat in my old fridge at a constant 22 deg . Seven days lots of activity , made a mess out of airlock then slowed down . Read on a thread that fementing can be finished with gas still coming out of airlock so I checked with hydrometer 1010 . checked again next day 1014 checked again the following day same 1014 . Bottled on the tenth day . Is it possable it has gone to far ? Can it go backwards on the hydro reading like that ?

Cheers Todd

I venture to suggest your reading of 1.010 was probably incorrect.

Perhaps you had some CO2 clinging to t e hydrometer, which will give an incorrect reading.
When you take your sample, spin your hydrometer to dislodge any adhering CO2 bubbles, leave it for about 10 minutes, spin it again, and then take your reading.

And, no, it's not possible for your SG reading to go up on subsequent days. That is, not unless you add more fermentables to your fermenter!

Edit: Spelling

There where no Co2 bubbles on the hydrometer at all . The temp had changed quite a bit between these two days could that have changed it that much ?

Heat can affect your hydro reading. But in you case the first test which resulted in 1010 would have had to be about 35 degrees. And the next test at say 20 degreees would then result in areading of 1014.

But like you said you put it in a old fridge, i assume it does not work. But still can't see how your beer would have got to 35 degrees.

No definatly was not 35 deg . Yes fridge is off and its been fairly consistant . Temp inside fridge goes from 19.5 up to 25 deg or so , but the fermenter temp 22-23 all the time . Very happy with that , much better than the kitchen temps up and down all over the place . The freezer part of the fridge is ideal for storing the newly bottled brew as it is about the same as mentioned before (temps) . I did have two fermenters going at the same time maybe its my mistake between the readings .

I d still like to know what happens if you leave the brew in the fermenter for too long ? Thanks

I d still like to know what happens if you leave the brew in the fermenter for too long ? Thanks

After a very long time, the yeast eat the dead yeast and it develops vegemite flavours, this is called autolysis.

In my experience, it takes months to occur.

I wouldn't want to leave a brew for more than 2 weeks after it finishes... but "finishes" is an interesting term...

When you think your brew is finished... give it another week... then bottle, this will give the yeast time to condition the beer, even though the gravity won't change much.

I remember BYO mag did a series of side-by-side experiments on beers left for up to 4 weeks in primary ...compared to some racked at end of fermentation etc

Little discernible taste difference as far as i can recall.

Latest posts

Back