Byron Bay Dark Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
I was down at the Byron bay Brewery lasy night and sampled all brewed beers on tap except the English bitter. I would have tried it but had their Dark Lager and was set adrift on memory bliss.. It was one of the most moorish beers that I have ever tried. Needless to say SWMBO and I ended up a bit on the Shitters side by the end of the night but def worth the drive down to the "Bay" .. All the beers were great but the Dark Lager stood out IMO. The Brewery gets a huge recommendation from us .. to try it out if you get a chance.. :D

I would suggest that you avoid the "beach Hotel" ... I found the Staff quite rude and the beers def over priced .. A bottle of Bubbles for the wife on her B'day was $47 and a schooner of Tiger was over $6.50... the beer garden was full of smokers and it was difficult to avoid the blue grey haze from their Cigs .. Man we are lucky in QLD where you can go out to a waterign hole and not come home stinking of tobacco... (Yes I am a reformed smoker) ... :lol:

As I said earlier the Dark lager at the Brewery was awesome.. does anyone have a recipe for it or similar??

I found most of their beers fairly bland when I visited a few months ago, but the food was ok there. It's worth the visit to see the Stone and Wood setup, who produce some of Australia's best beers.

In regards to the Dark Lager, I'd be looking at the Schwarzbier varities of which there's a few good recipe's listed on the forums here. I'd recommend yardy's version as a starting point. Focus on the choc malts and a clean, malty lager yeast and it'll turn out to be a great beer.

Back