Pubs And Breweries In Byron Bay

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billygoat

Reaction score
Hello all,
will be heading to Byron Bay this week and was hoping to get to some pubs/breweries with decent beer. Would be good if any locals on this forum could recommend any good drinking spots or breweries within a decent drive from Byron Bay. I see Stone and Wood are in Byron so will definitely try their stuff but is there anything else up there as well?
Off topic I know, but can anyone recommend a good fishing charter up that way.
Cheers
billygoat

Billygoat from Ballarat went to Byron Bay................. etc etc

After drinking Stone n Wood, it`ll be hard to come back to anything else.

I did a mudcrab charter when I was up there, lunch was crabs prawns and VB cans, it was great... then............. 75 Chinese tourists hopped on board.
Wow did we have some laughs of tangled lines and stuck nets... During the trip you go to collect the crab pots that have been dropped off earlier... Surprise Surprise every pot was a winner :lol: legal size muddies in everyone.
On our departure it was humorous to see atub load of live muddies under a heshian blanket being dropped off to put in tomorrow`s pots :lol:

Byron bay is just up the road from me.

I can def recommend popping into stone and wood brewery at Boronia pl. Byron bay (in the industrial estate).

The top pub (Beach hotel) is pretty good if you get the happy bar staff (ive had some wankers serve me up there), also its pretty exxy after a while.

The rails, beach hotel, and northern all have stone and wood on tap. The rails also has little creatures on tap, as does the northern I think (and one or two other decent ones)

Also there is the Byron bay brewery (the old budda bar) which has a pretty decent set up, out the back is pretty good when they have band happening. The beers are fair, and worth a crack. They do good burgers for lunch.

Cheers

Last time I was up that way I went for a trip to Mt. Tamborine, only abuot 1hr 45 mins away and there are 2 breweries up there. And the view is pretty good too.

Also there is the Byron bay brewery (the old budda bar) which has a pretty decent set up, out the back is pretty good when they have band happening. The beers are fair, and worth a crack. They do good burgers for lunch.
+1 for the Byron Bay Brewery, out the back about a km past the old railway station (also used to be known as the piggery!)

The do a good dark lager, and the beer garden is great, if over-run with backpackers of a night time.

Hello all,
will be heading to Byron Bay this week and was hoping to get to some pubs/breweries with decent beer. Would be good if any locals on this forum could recommend any good drinking spots or breweries within a decent drive from Byron Bay. I see Stone and Wood are in Byron so will definitely try their stuff but is there anything else up there as well?
Off topic I know, but can anyone recommend a good fishing charter up that way.
Cheers
billygoat

...G'Day billygoat, happy for you to come and have a look at our place mate, but can you please give us a call or e-mail first so we can organise a convenient time , we are in for another massive week of brewing and packing and sometimes it's hard to give unannounced visitors much time when we are flat out...

...Stone & Wood (02)66855173 or [email protected]...

PS...i think one of Brad's mates runs a charter boat , if not he'll know who does...

...see you there...

...Cheers, Scott...

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I would love to come and have a look Scot but I will be sure to ring to make sure it is convenient.
Cheers
billygoat

Hello all,
went and visited Stone and Wood brewery today. I would like to thank the guys for showing my son and I around and for making us feel very welcome. Its a very nice and neat set up they have there. Got to try their Draught Ale straight from a finishing vat, absolutely beautiful. Their Draught Ale and Pale Lager are readily available all over the place and I would recommend people to give it a try.
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

I had the chance to visit Stone & Wood and the Byron Bay Brewery on Saturday. It was great to see a small setup like Stone & Wood and Jaime was a great guide with plenty of interesting facts about brewing to share with us. The draught ale out of the fermenter was a definite treat.

We didn't get the same type of tour at Byron Bay brewery but samples of all the beers were had as well as a great lunch. The billy goat dark ale was the stand out.

I'm regularly up that way (inlaws), will have to pop in for a visit.

Hello all,
went and visited Stone and Wood brewery today. I would like to thank the guys for showing my son and I around and for making us feel very welcome. Its a very nice and neat set up they have there. Got to try their Draught Ale straight from a finishing vat, absolutely beautiful. Their Draught Ale and Pale Lager are readily available all over the place and I would recommend people to give it a try.
Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

...No worries mate, thanks for dropping by and the interest in our beers....hope you enjoyed Byron as much as we do....keep up the AG brewing and good luck finding some other brewers down your way...

Cheers
Scott

The Great Northern is a great authentic auzzie pub,it has a good bar,games room,bottle shop.Second , The Suffy-the Suffolk park Hotel ,its six km away from Byron Bay,more local crowd then any of the pub in town.

Enjoyed all the pubs I visited at Byron Bay, but The Rails was my favourite. Pretty crap view if that's what you're looking for, but they had Stone and Wood on tap there and also LC, plus live music. Went to The Beach Hotel a couple of times and the Great Northern. Went to the Buddah Bar and tried 3 beers, with the Billygoat dark lager being the best. They had an "English Bitter" but it wasn't like any pommy bitter I've had before. It was serverd as cold as their lager and was very pale in colour. On their blurb about the beer it stated that it was served less carbonated than their other beers. But it was very fizzy and tasted nothing like a pommy bitter so I was disappointed. But still, a very nice place to visit. Overall, enjoyed the trip to Byron and enjoyed some good beer. Thanks again Hargie.

Ah, when I was a teenager in The Bay (nobody called it 'Byron' in those days...) we'd sneak into the pre-Strop Top Pub (the 'Flea Pit, as we called it) and select one of the two fine beers on offer, Old or New, while enjoying the musical delights of Big Mozzie. The nearest brewery was Tooths in Lismore. The nearest 'craft' brewery was...California?

Seems like a dream now. How the world has changed.

I stayed at Bangalow for a night in this pub last year, down the road a little but away from the bloody tourists !

http://www.bangalowhotel.com.au/

They had heaps of good beers on tap, food was good and the rooms cheap enough (old Queenslander pub accommodation) and the locals very friendly.
I'm a small town guy and I felt welcome drinking there, in fact we had a great night ! :party:

Batz

Am heading to Yamba for a week next month sounds like I'll have to head to Byron for a few hours!! Stone and Wood sounds awesome

Am heading to Yamba for a week next month sounds like I'll have to head to Byron for a few hours!! Stone and Wood sounds awesome

...G'Day Rex , we've got our beer on at the Pacific Hotel in Yamba, but by all means head on up to Byron !!...give us a bit of notice and we can show you around the brewery...

Cheers
Scott

I stayed at Bangalow for a night in this pub last year, down the road a little but away from the bloody tourists !

http://www.bangalowhotel.com.au/

They had heaps of good beers on tap, food was good and the rooms cheap enough (old Queenslander pub accommodation) and the locals very friendly.
I'm a small town guy and I felt welcome drinking there, in fact we had a great night ! :party:

Batz

Yep, id agree.. good pub away but not too far away from Byron!!

They have Stone & Wood Draught and Lager, and IIRC LCPA!!!

Cheers

Back