BYO Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whistlingjack

Dipl. Braumeister VLB, Berlin
Reaction score
Hi all

Just wanted to throw this one out there.

A few of us went to a (WA) restaurant last night after checking when we booked that we were allowed BYO. When we rolled up with a growler filled with pale ale, we were told that the rules state "BYO wine only". The manager came and told us quite firmly that we were not allowed to drink our beer on the premises. I questioned whether this was a licensing stipulation but he didn't know and said it was restaurant policy.

This establishment did not have a beer tap and the only packaged beer I saw consumed was VB. We ate our meal with the growler sitting in the middle of the table and declined all offers to purchase their alcohol and drank water only.

Comments?

WJ

I reckon I would have been more inclined to go elsewhere, if they had a smoking area outside you could maybe have taken your water glasses and had a drink out there.

Yeah, considered taking turns sitting outside the front door. The saving grace was that the food was very good.

WJ

Rules are rules. My local Thai is wise enough to charge a very modest 'corkage'. They care not for snobbery, only that they always get a couple of pineapples out of me.

Its strange. You dont need a licence for byo restaurant which is why restaurants go this route... but they served beer?? Id guess theyre licensed but could only be bothered serving beer rather than having heaps of wine in stock. To cover this, their policy is byo wine only then they sell their beer.

Its strange. You dont need a licence for byo restaurant which is why restaurants go this route... but they served beer?? Id guess theyre licensed but could only be bothered serving beer rather than having heaps of wine in stock. To cover this, their policy is byo wine only then they sell their beer.

Couldn't see the logic in it myself. Like Dave70 mentioned, its just snobbery. I could have brought some home made wine, and the manager said he would allow this, but not beer.

WJ

Latest posts

Back