Buying Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im thinking of buying some more kegs and i was just wondering about these from mybeershop.

http://www.mybeershop.com.au/index.php?mai...products_id=144

It says that they come with a generic lid & pressure relief valve, generic poppets etc. Has anyone had any experience with these kegs and parts? Are they ok or are they just crap?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Richard

I've had no problems with them.

I grabbed two several months ago when they were doing 2 for $100 free freight.

they came with replacement seals which i installed and have found them to be good kegs.

Just bought some, first keg naturally carbonating and holding pressure fine.
The cheap reg fine also, was worried about it.

my brother has bought the generic lids for his pin lock kegs for the pressure relief valve and no probs.

I have bought a 4 pack from Mybeershop and Craftbrewer.

Looking at the pricing i would go with the mybeershop.
Since they have started chucking in the seals and poppets its a decent deal.

The only reason i would pick them over craftbrewer is that they generally ship 4 of the exact same kegs.

From Craftbrewer i have received 4 kegs, however they were a mix of firestone / cornelius (2 black, 1 red, 1 blue) which all have slight variations.
Not really an issue but one of the kegs i received has a plastic gas diptube with a different diameter then the standard ones, would of been great if they were all the same.

Need to have a chat to your keg picker ross ;)

I bought 2 kegs and almost all my initial start up gear for kegging from mybeershop a fair while ago now and everything is good.

I have no qualms in recommending them.

My only objection (same as the cheap kegs on Ebay) is that they will not allow pickup, even though I live locally, so I ended up getting stuff from Keg King (which is also in the same suburb).

....snip
From Craftbrewer i have received 4 kegs, however they were a mix of firestone / cornelius (2 black, 1 red, 1 blue) which all have slight variations.
Not really an issue but one of the kegs i received has a plastic gas diptube with a different diameter then the standard ones, would of been great if they were all the same.

Need to have a chat to your keg picker ross ;)

I have found the same. I bought replacement gas in tubes and they didn't fit, didn't want to have to drive back up to Bris to sort it out so I just drilled out the hole...in 3 kegs.

I have no doubt that Ross would have sorted it out without question, always great service from them...I just didn't want to drive back up there.

I got the 4 for $240 deal from CB and also had one keg turn up that was different (slightly different lid, plastic gas dip tube) although it seems to hold pressure fine. They've still got the "receiving this is receiving stolen property" stickers on them which is great!
Can't comment on any of the other kegs though, but I'd say if they leaked a pull apart and lube should fix it, if not a couple of new o-rings. Also apparently the poppets can gunk-up a bit and need a bit of a clean. Hasn't happened to me though.

I had one keg leak through the in and out posts and was pretty annoyed and sent Ross an email asking for a new one! How little I knew, a bit of lube and its all fine. :D

edit: sorry a little OT :p

thanks to all your replies. i just wanted to make sure that i was getting an ok product. my first batch of keg i bought was from brewcraft. not real happy with the quality as i have had to replace most of the parts on them. I reckon i might go for the ones from mybeershop. Cant beat the price with 10% off. Shipping is a killer though. At least i get 10% off that too.

Cheers
Richard

Spend $200 at Craftbrewer and they will give you a keg for $1.

Slightly off topic but I thought I would throw a spanner in the works :D

Hmmm, 5 kegs for $241 (four with seal kits) not bad - I wonder if SWMBO would notice a small hole in the household budget, and who needs food anyway. ;) .

beer-beer-food-demotivational-poster-1254143663.jpg

My old man thrashed it into me as a boy - "son, there's a steak in every can".
A truly visionary man.
Cheers
BBB

Beer, peanuts and pork scratchings - a well balanced diet :) .

Hmmm, 5 kegs for $241 (four with seal kits) not bad - I wonder if SWMBO would notice a small hole in the household budget, and who needs food anyway. ;) .
4 for $200 now at the site mentioned in the first post, 1 less keg but you could take her out for dinner and at least eat once a week.

No free delivery on the 5th keg from CB. Works out @ $51.64 per keg delivered to my place (Nth QLD) opposed to $58.25 per keg from mybeershop (taking into consideration the 10% June special). The kegs from MBS are cleaned and pressure tested before delivery too though.

No free delivery on the 5th keg from CB. Works out @ $51.64 per keg delivered to my place (Nth QLD) opposed to $58.25 per keg from mybeershop (taking into consideration the 10% June special). The kegs from MBS are cleaned and pressure tested before delivery too though.
Ouch, the CB shopping-cart says delivery for additional 1 keg to Melbourne, is about $15, a huge difference to sending them up to you.

Back