Burleigh Brewing Hasslehop!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, who'd tried this? It's a strong pale with citra, mosaic, galaxy, el dorado and belma hops, but I think they've nailed it on the head with balance of hop flavours. Anyone working on a clone, or have any idea on a vague idea? It's around 55 IBU, can't remember the colour with regard to SRM/EBC but it's a nice golden colour

Can't help I'm afraid but I'm a big fan of the beer. They married the hops well with a polite but not understated malt profile too. Very interested to hear if someone can clone it.

I posted about this beer as soon as I found it. Incredible brew! I agree they hit the nail on the head for sure. Apparently though it was quite a difficult birth (that's where the name comes from... Hassle-hop hah)
In terms of the hop schedule I think they follow the order that they post on the bottle. I'd love to hear someone attempt to clone it as it is my current favourite and whenever I can find a bottle I get really stoked!

Canuck

I follow BB on instagram and keep harassing them for a recipe haha. Nothing yet, but I will definitely have a good crack at it. I can work with the hops but obviously it'll be a prick to get right, and as for the malt bill I don't imagine it being overly difficult. Maybe 75-85% base with a small range of specialties. I reckon there'd be a crystal or caramel malt in there around 5-10%, just enough to give it the colouring, maybe some pils? I have no idea! I might just have a crack at it soon with something like that as a bit of fun.

Alright, quick update - I just got something out. 20L batch, no idea how it will taste but I'm thinking maybe use a different caramel/crystal level, I've just used 10L to get a rough figure.

BIAB, 20L, 90 min boil
4kg 2-row base
500 each carapils (a lot say it struggles with head retention. so this is in here mainly just to remedy that), and crystal 30. I don't actually know the colour, I saw it but can't remember. Adjust to a different caramel/crystal malt for colour.
Hop Bill:
8.2g galaxy @ start of boil
12.4 el dorado @ 45
8.3 citra 30 min
8.2 mosaic 20 min
8.2 belma @ 10 min.

California Ale or Safale US05, something that doesn't add a whole lot of flavour but ferments. Target pre-pitch OG of 1.055, target FG of 1.010. 55IBU, 5.7% ABV, 12.6 EBC.

I will likely rip out a test batch this week or next, funds permitting, and will see what happens.

To get an even spread of hop flavour IMO it is better to have bittering, then 10 and 5 minute additions, with some dry hopping possibly. I would use the highest AA hop for bittering, then a mix @ 10 and @ 5.
500g of caramel / crystal malt will be overpowingly sweet, let alone 1kg.

I'd hit it massively at the end to get the IBU's up. It had a lot of flavour and now I want another!

I think mosaic really shines in this beer do would consider swapping the belma / mosaic additions however I have not used belma before so perhaps the belma imparts the flavour I was tasting, better send me a bottle when your done so I can check!

I think mosaic really shines in this beer do would consider swapping the belma / mosaic additions however I have not used belma before so perhaps the belma imparts the flavour I was tasting, better send me a bottle when your done so I can check!

The beauty of home brewing clones - you keep at it until it's right!! I've not worked with ED or Belma or Galaxy at this stage yet, only Citra and Mosaic from that list. Will have a play later on, I know brewmate? one of the stores had some pellets on hand.

Just had the new version, no mosaic, el Dorado or belma... Not nearly as good as I remembered the original.

Latest posts

Back