Burgers....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OzPaleAle said:
Sounds like my dream burger if it involves chipotle & beans. What do you use to get the bean burger to bind so well? I normally try flour but by the time I add enough to get a good patient tastes like flour and is gluggy.
Post #107 on page 6 of this thread has the recipe and the links to where I copied most of it from.

I won't quote it as it's quite long, but it's well worth the effort of soaking beans overnight.
I used porridge oats which I chucked through the blender as well as bread crumbs.
Mashing most of the beans helps a lot with the consistency too.

Give it a shot. Pouring chipotles in adobo on them was the icing on the cake.

Ahh cool, oats is a good idea, good excuse to use the new grain mill too!

We saw posters for this all over Paris recently and my kids have been begging me to make it for them but without pickles.
Going to give it a shot today.
20130812-1043_triple.jpg

Prendre la photo s'il vous plaît monsieur !

Pumpkin bread makes a surprisingly good roll for a burger

U7fhkNj.jpg

The burger isn't anything too special. Beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, paprika, garlic, pepper, and a few other things.
Sealed on the hot plate, then flame grilled and salted to get a nice crust.

UGM9sTh.jpg

Toppings include caramelised beer onions, tomato relish, cheese, tom/beet/lettuce, chilli sauce and some Paul Newman's creamy ceasar dressing.

ihuiqr8.jpg

Yum.

Le shizzle, n'est-ce pas ?

I'm quite hungry for burgers now !

Bad seed, that looks awesome.....and I can't tell which is yours and which is the commercial version.

What type of cheese are you using on that.

mj.jpeg

The important thing was his voice never changed.

Bad Seed, you're not making my diet any easier.

yum beer said:
Bad seed, that looks awesome.....and I can't tell which is yours and which is the commercial version.

What type of cheese are you using on that.
Yes, the attention to detail paid off. The likeness was stunning.
Life imitates art.

I used those horrible plastic cheese singles that they sell in coles as that is what the picture looks like.
I didn't eat one, they were for the kids and I prefer real cheese.

Your version looks awesome including the cheese (there's a time and place for everything), and your kids are going to be ginormous if you feeding them those, haha well done.

It's about thime this awesome thread was retunred to the top of the list. So m8's I give you the Chicken burger...

Copied from here - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/14186/barbecued+chicken+burgers

Served on nice soft burger rolls from the local Vietnamese place, with the usual salad (no beetroot)
I put on some salsa and a good dollop of hot chipotle sauce.
Awesome.

11744926744_09fa3a0d05_b.jpg

There is a big burger and bacon under all that healthy stuff.

004.JPG

I make a pretty basic burger that can be pimped out with all sorts of flavours and they are delicious, super quick and easy!

250g premium beef mince
500g regular beef mince
1 red onion, finely diced
2 carrots grated

The fattier regular mince binds the burger really well so you can skip the eggs and bread crumbs, and a bit of sneaky carrot ups the healthiness and keeps it moist.

1 variant I do with tomato sauce and Dijon and seeded mustard, another I do with honey, soy sauce and crushed garlic and another I do with finely diced red capsicum, chillies, coriander and garlic.

Delicious. They work even better as rissoles flame grilled on the BBQ.

I'm not much of a one for photos but i felt like burgers today so I made some.

Finely chopped galric, chilli and dried oregano in cold olive oil, slowly heated until the garlic softens. Cooled then added to pure beef mince and mixed through. Big ball of mince, flattened and seasoned with salt and pepper.

Hot pan, fry burger till brown on one side, flip and add two rashers of bacon to pan. Brown bacon, let pattie rest for 4-5 mins.

Some fancy soft sesame coated buns I found at the local fruit/veg/butcher mart (le pain de mie - I don't like to play too much with the bread but these were perfect).

Grilled the bun till toasty, burger on, bacon on, tomato sauce on, chilli sauce on - woops.

Forgot the cheese. Should have grilled it with the burger but too late now. Thin slices of casalingo on top of the bacon, fresh sliced tomato, touch of salt and pepper and I'm in heaven. Looking forward to digesting it all as soon as possible so I can have another.

I like simple cheeseburgers. I use pretty much the same spices for my cheese burger patties as I do for my bratwurst sausage. For the burger, just meat, mustard, tomato sauce, cheese, raw onion and pickle.

I only skimmed through the thread, but I noted at least 1 other person also prefers fattier mince. I also use up to 50% pork sometimes which goes well.

Just discovered this thread so I thought I would add one of my latest burgers.

Based on the Wagyu burger at Rockpool Bar and Grill, Neil 'the Ponytail' Perry's shrine to the expense account. I have never had the real thing but there were a few recipes out there. I was unable/unwilling to source $50/kg meat for a burger so I used good old unethically raised hormone injected antibiotic fortified supermarket mince which apparently is composed of 100% beef (unless they use the same Polish meat dealer as Tesco).

The main recipe I based it was this one:

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/recipe-search/chefs-recipes/2011/8/rockpool-bar-grill-wagyu-hamburger-with-bacon,-gruy%C3%A8re-and-zuni-pickle/

Made the zucchini pickle with some homegrown produce a few days earlier based on this recipe:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/3030/zucchini+mustard+pickles

Whipped up some brioche buns using a recipe I found here:

http://mongoliankitchen.com/brioche-buns/

Here is a pick of the buns I made:

12113762954_114212a692.jpg

And a pick of the final product with some beer battered onion rings (also home made)

12115147256_f200e5c2da.jpg

Pretty damn tasty, buns held up well. Nice mix of richness (beef, gruyere cheese and bacon) and cut (z pickle and spicy homemade tomato sauce)

Comrades,
Due to a genetic blood disorder I am on an enforced low carb diet. It doesn't make much difference to my life to be honest.
Ine thing is I do have to minimise my carb intake. I can still drink beer but only 4-5 instead of about 10 and I have to space them out. Not really a problem.

There is a trade off though. Beer or bread rolls with my burgers, naan with my curry etc.
Beer wins.

I have been making these carb free egg/cream cheese rolls and experimenting with the mix. Initially they were tasteless and pointless abit like eating a cloud.
This ones a winner though, dried herbs and mustard in the mix. For the first time I didn't miss the bread.
Home made patty using my usual recipe.
From the ground up:
Mayo, baby spinach, meat, cheese, pickles, dijon mustard, tomato, red onion, beetroot relish.
For some reason (maybe I was hungry) this was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten,

Feast your eyes m8's:
13323165825_585d5cf644_c.jpg

BadSeed said:
They are usually different each time, that one was a chilli & mesquite lamb burger.
For a normal beef burger I use something like:

• Minced beef
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • onion, bread crust, capsicum - all bended to a pulp
  • 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard
  • Grated parmesan cheese
  • salt
  • beaten egg,
Mix that up, shape it into burgers, put them in the fridge for about an hour.

I sometimes put lumps of cheese in the middle too. The Kids like that.
My god! I just made these for lunch (no pic) and had one of manticles milds with it.

I added prosciutto, lettuce, mayo, and whole grain mustard to the roll and made up a nice crisp coleslaw on the side to cleanse after all that rich juicy meat.

Oh and havarti cheese (good quality) melted on top after I flipped them.

Absolutely perfect, this is reason enough to buy a mincer and mince out own meat! Will also probably get up early and bake some roles fresh next time!

Back