Burgers....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Been thinking about alternate burgers....
Wondering about fish burgers.....nice peice of battered fish with lettuce and tartare ssuce...maybe even betroot....
A little bit of thinly sliced red onion and your there Stu!

Ducatiboy stu said:
Been thinking about alternate burgers....

Wondering about fish burgers.....nice peice of battered fish with lettuce and tartare ssuce...maybe even betroot....
Chicken burgers can be pretty good too, but you have to make them yourself.
The ones you can buy are foul.

Bom, tish.

A nice bit of beer battered snapper with salad, mayo, on a crusty bun would do nicely thank you.

BadSeed said:
Chicken burgers can be pretty good too, but you have to make them yourself.
The ones you can buy are foul.
We do a chicken burger out of minced thighs, some bread soaked in milk, an egg, pancetta, sicilian olives, nutmeg, salt and pepper and they're delicious.

Ok m8s

Decided to give the veg burgers another shot, this time I looked up some recipes.
Stealing from this one - http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/really-simple-bean-burgers.html
with some of this one - http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-best-ever-veggie-burgers-96967

I came up with these awesome bean burgers.
Really simple to make and cheap. The only thing you have to plan is soaking the beans overnight.

1/2 cup dried black eye peas & 1/2 cup dried black beans, soak overnight then discard the water.
Boil the beans for about 30 minutes with a veg stock cube and a couple of bay leaves.
Add a handful of dried brown rice and boil for another 30 minutes. Discard the water.

Chop up half an onion and half a Capsicum (I used 1/4 of red and greeen) really fine and fry in a small amount of olive oil until the onion starts to go brown.
Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic for about 30 seconds then about a tbsp of Balsamic.
keep stirring until the vinegar evaporates and you are left with syrupy gooey onions

2 slices of frozen bread blitzed in a blender with 1/2 cup of oats (I used some porridge I found in the cupboard)
Add 1/2 the beans/rice mixture to the bread, oats and veg mixture.
Beat 2 eggs and put them in.

Take the remaining bean and rice mixture and smash them up with a potato masher.
Chuck the mashed beans in with everything else.

Now you can add whatever you like to flavour it. I used:
Smoked paprika, Worcester sauce (veg version - homemade), Dijon mustard, nutmeg, black pepper. chilli flakes.
It's up to you as the base recipe is so versatile.

Stir everything around for a few minutes and shape into burgers (4 massive). They were really solid, maybe slightly sticky from the egg.
I'm not sure how a vegan version would hold together.

Next time I will try a more mexican flavours with Adobo sauce and smoked jalapenos.
I served these with the same shit I put on all my burgers - Mayo (with rosemary) , leaves, sliced raw onion, tomato and beetroot.
Topped with salsa and extra hot peri peri. I put some nice cheese on this as well.

Anyway, really good shit. They held their shape perfectly when they were cooked and had a great burger texture when we ate them.

My wife even said she preferred them to meat burgers, which is a big deal as she is a proper old school carnivore. A+++ will eat again.

9399202568_1c4462e7f5_b.jpg

OT see I am not the only one that uses hot sauce on nearly everything. The extra hot peri peri is quite nice but look out for Fountain Hot Chilli sauce if you are in Coles. Not very hot but otherwise quite tasty.

Food isn't food until it has some form of chilli on it :D

A lot of these burgers fail the 3 finger rule...

Stack 3 fingers on top of each other vertically and stick it in your mouth. At full jaw extension you cant get any more than 3 in (I certainly cant)
So even when compressed, why are a lot of burgers taller than 3 fingers? Hell I'm seen them come out often at double that...

Which is why I always make my burgers with stacks of flavour and a 'low profile'...

Thats half the fun isn't it?
The eternal battle of your eyes being too big for your mouth.
Ending up covered in condiments and tomato.

evildrakey said:
A lot of these burgers fail the 3 finger rule...

Stack 3 fingers on top of each other vertically and stick it in your mouth. At full jaw extension you cant get any more than 3 in (I certainly cant)
So even when compressed, why are a lot of burgers taller than 3 fingers? Hell I'm seen them come out often at double that...

Which is why I always make my burgers with stacks of flavour and a 'low profile'...
Go big or go home.

A burger isn't a burger if you can fit your mouth around it :D

It would essentially just be a glorified sammich...

Bigger the better.....the challenge is to be able to squeze it with it exploding..if you cant do that then stick to sandwiches

I once ate a burger that was so big, I had to open my mouth so wide that both of my contact-lenses fell out. Truth.

Cosmic Bertie said:
I once ate a burger that was so big, I had to open my mouth so wide that both of my contact-lenses fell out. Truth.
You forgot to add "True Story"

When it comes to burgers, more is more.
All of mine have been squashed down and eaten.

Have you never watched Scooby Doo?

Hidden veg burger

500g pork mince
500g beef mince
2 zucchini grated or put through food processor
200g mushrooms grated or thru processor
1 onion finely chopped
2 carrots fince diced or processed
2 eggs beaten
Bread crumbs (variable to meet consistency)
Few slashes of whistshire sauce
Few slashes of tomato sauce
Salt pepper
Rosemary finely chopped or processor
Herbs as desired

Slowly fry down the zucchini and mushrooms to gey rid of any liquid. This basicly gives u a fine vegetable mince that gets hidden in the mince.

Mix all the ingredients together once the veg is done. The extra veg wil make your mix wetter so you may need to adjust ur breadcrumb amounts needeed.

Fry

Makes a really light hamburger patty thats kids cant tell haas extta veg in it. You could always add fry the carrot and onion down to mush if u want to hid all the veg.

Proper order to make burger is bun (for the lot): lettuce tomato sauce then patty then bacon egg cheese then other salad such as beetroot pineapple etc and mayo on top of bun.

Latest posts

Back