Bulk priming.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanMan

Reaction score
Hi all.
I want to bulk prime my current brew using dextrose. According to the calculator I need 149 grams of dextrose in 22 litres of beer. For a co2 content of 2.5.
Firstly does this sound correct ?
secondly after some reading I mix the dextrose in with some water ? Say 300 to 500ml on the stove to liquify it.
Thirdly. What's the general consensus on what to use for priming bottles? Dextrose, sugar , glucose tablets. Etc etc.

image.jpg

1. Yes

2. Boil the mixed sugar and water for 5-10 minutes to kill off any nasties.

3. I've used all of the above and more. Doesn't seem to matter much. However it seems, but I'm not positive yet, that using highly flavored sugars for priming - golden syrup, candi syrup, brown sugar etc - adds on some conditioning time so the flavors can integrate well.

Remember to account for the fact that you'll likely leave about 500-1000ml in the fermenter, if you haven't already accounted for that. My 22 liter ferment usually ends up as 21 liters of beer after accounting for trub and dry hops.

Thanks Mardoo.
Yes I accounted for the fact I might lose up to a litre. And as for the co2 content I have no idea what the 2.5 equates to. I just saw that 2.5 was about average for my style of beer. So a little extra or little less shouldn't make a huge difference. Thanks for the reply.

Hey guys it just occured to me that for bottle conditioning i need the yeasties to be eating the priming sugar yeah.
well everywhere says leave at room temp for x weeks. currently in my house in melbourne over night room temp is 14 with heater of and up to 16-18 during the day with heater off. however my conditioning bottles i have storred in the garage which is considerably colder, does this mean my bottles will never carbonate?
should i be keeping them inside at higher temps for the first few weeks?
whats the best temp to bottle condition? is it basically fermentation temps?

They'll just go slower at cooler temps, unless you get below the functional temperature of the yeast you used. I carb all my ales at 20 degrees. I think someone else will have a better answer than I to your final question, best temp to bottle condition.

Mardoo said:
They'll just go slower at cooler temps, unless you get below the functional temperature of the yeast you used. I carb all my ales at 20 degrees. I think someone else will have a better answer than I to your final question, best temp to bottle condition.
its sitting around 12c in my garage atm, if i used us05 for the current brews conditioning out there will they carb and if so over what time frame? i was thinking giving them 2-4 weeks, i can move em inside then theyll be closer to the 16-18c of which they were fermented at

I've got a mate in Armidale NSW who used to brew and he reckons he used to bottle, chuck them in the shed (winter and what not). Wouldn't touch them for 3 months and never had an issue with carbonation. Now that place is freezing, so all's good I'd say.

Vini2ton said:
I've got a mate in Armidale NSW who used to brew and he reckons he used to bottle, chuck them in the shed (winter and what not). Wouldn't touch them for 3 months and never had an issue with carbonation. Now that place is freezing, so all's good I'd say.
yeah armidale is colder then melbourne. i dont know that i wanna wait 3 months to drink my creation lol
would 4 weeks be long enough ya recon?

Here in Sunny Ballarat, i too leave them in the shed, 1 month is what i leave them for and they seem fine. Also just grab 1/2 doz and store inside somewhere to speed some up if needed

Latest posts

Back