Bulk priming with dex and ldme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zooesk

Reaction score
Hi brewers
Today I went to bulk prime my 23L batch, beer smith told me 130g of dex or 180g of ldme. The thing is I ran out of dex at 105g so I toped it up to 170g with dex. Have I gone to much, should I not of mixed them what's your thoughts.

zooesk said:
The thing is I ran out of dex at 105g so I toped it up to 170g with dex. Have I gone to much, should I not of mixed them what's your thoughts.
You said dex twice. Did you top up with LDME or Dextrose? If you used 105g of Dextrose and 65g LDME, yeah you might have over primed. Beer smith says you need to use 1.38:1 LDME to Dex and you you were short 25g of Dex, which would be 34g of LDME.

On the other hand, if you used 105g of LDME and topped up with 65g of Dextrose, you will be a bit closer. You would be short 75g of LDME so you'd need to add 54g of Dextrose so you've still over primed but not by as much.

No idea if this will be a big deal or not as I'm new to all this. I'm just good at maths lol. For what it's worth, I've read that dextrose ferments out better than LDME (which can be inconsistent in how much it attenuates) so dextrose is probably the more reliable option going forward. Hope that helps.

I haven't bottled yet while the dex ldme cools thought I better ask

Just use table sugar. The flavour impact will the negligible. Its far less likely that you will run out of table sugar.
Now I'm brewing AG, I don't bother buying dex anymore as I don't really find it useful.
beer smith has a calc for table sugar too.

Latest posts

Back