Bulk Priming Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Hi all,

is there any relationship to the level of refinement of certain sugars and the quality of head and head retention? When i use normal table sugar for bulk priming, i am convinced the head isn't as tight or long lasting as when i use smaller grained sugars like caster or dextrose?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi all,

is there any relationship to the level of refinement of certain sugars and the quality of head and head retention? When i use normal table sugar for bulk priming, i am convinced the head isn't as tight or long lasting as when i use smaller grained sugars like caster or dextrose?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Table sugar and castor sugar are the same thing, castor is just milled finer. Once they're dissolved, they're identical so should act the same as a primer... However, the smaller grains of of castor sugar could mean you're using more per bottle if you measure by volume. If you measure by weight and see a difference, I suspect there is something else at play, such as the beers themselves. Priming sugar makes up so little of the total fermentables, I'd be amazed if what you use could have much effect.

Back