Building The Brew Table

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mintsauce

Reaction score
I'm getting on quite well building my brew table at present, as a beginner AG brewer I'm after moving to full size (~20l) batches with the prospect of double keg batches (~40l).

My equipment so far is:
Millmaster grain mill (Ross persuaded me to go this way and I'm bloody glad I did - this thing is MONSTEROUS)
50 Litre Pub Keg converted to Keggle with 3/4 inch output 3 piece ball valve and a 1/2 inch port for thermometer
BIAB Bag fitted to the keg (concerned about the thermometer at the moment trying to get something sorted so it does not pierce it)
Cubes for No Chill
Paint Stirrer Mash tool (looks like a potato masher with a long handle, I'll show a pic soon)

Due this week is:
Italian Spiral burner
Medium pressure adjustable regulator
Some fittings to put a pickup tube in the keggle

The table that me and the father in law (they do come in useful) have just bastardized was simply a table welded from 2mm steel square tube (originally built as a balcony table) which we lopped off one of the edges to allow the bolts which mount the front of the mill to go directly through the steel. I have since modified the bolts so they stay in the table (IE quick removal of mill by just taking the nuts off the top (yeh, lol) and taking it off) due to the size of the table we thought to put a heat shield at the other end and using for the burner and keggle. The heat shield is mounted on 50 mm bolts and there are holes sunk in the table so it cannot possible slide off (is still around 35 mm from the table). I will finish the table with a coat of good varnish after a couple brews. Just to make it clear the mill will be removed before brewing

The pictures are of
1,2 & 3 - table as a whole, please ignore the top of the water bottle in the top of the hopper, this is not ment to be here, the hopper looks like it will hold quite a bit
4 - is of the underside of the table showing the mounting of the bolts and the bottom of the mill
5 & 6 - are the first crush I've ever done, I've set the gap to 0.038" (with a little bit of drag on the feeler gauges) which seems to look OK to me, I'm going to BIAB so even tho it looks a little fine/powdery I think it will be OK

I'm happy to recieve any critisim, questions or suggestions about what will make it easier on brewday.

My plan is to test the burner/keggle before brewday as well as crush the grain the night before incase I have any issues.

Thanks go - Nick_JD Nick's post on AG on the stovetop got me into the AG brewing and gave me the drive to get the gear for a full batch tho I had been collecting for a while I just was in no hurry, after tasting the first 3 AG's I'm full on enthusiatic.

DSCF4761.JPG

DSCF4762.JPG

DSCF4763.JPG

DSCF4764.JPG

DSCF4765.JPG

DSCF4766.JPG

looks good minty ,, 1 thing that I was warned about when I started was grain dust ,, you don't want it near your wort after the boil ,, very big chance of infection from the dust ,, however a good wipe down after milling with sanitizer and all should be good ..

cheers and welcome to the dark side,

looks good minty ,, 1 thing that I was warned about when I started was grain dust ,, you don't want it near your wort after the boil ,, very big chance of infection from the dust ,, however a good wipe down after milling with sanitizer and all should be good ..

I have only just noticed my last reply did not work correctly - I said:

Thanks for the advice, I do plan to mill the grain the night before and then remove the mill and I'll make sure I give it a good wipe down.

Cheers :)

Nice work Gordon. Can't wait to really break it in over a few beverages.

Back