Building A Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djackal

Reaction score
I have a tap and a threaded connector that I am going to put in a fridge door (i.e kegerator) The length of the threaded pipe that goes into the fridge door appears shorter than the width of the door. The door is sheet metal and has plastic inlay (where butter container and shelves are built into(can I remove this without ruining the fridge) How does one get around this? I hope there is enough info here.
Cheers

Drill a hole thru the plastic slightly bigger than the washer...

Then put the shank thru from outside the door - put washer and lock nut on thru large hole in plastic.
Use a deep wall socket and tighten the lock nut up onto the sheet metal of the door.

Attach Beer line and all is done.

djackal said:
I have a tap and a threaded connector that I am going to put in a fridge door (i.e kegerator) The length of the threaded pipe that goes into the fridge door appears shorter than the width of the door. The door is sheet metal and has plastic inlay (where butter container and shelves are built into(can I remove this without ruining the fridge) How does one get around this? I hope there is enough info here.
Cheers
[post="95341"][/post]​

For my fridge djackal, I went down to plumbing store and bought a brass nipple about an inch long that screwed on over the fridge extension, then a broad screw on nut - O inly needed an extra 10mm or so to make it. If you take it into a shop they can look at your problem and help figure it out - or else post pikies?

BTW the fittings i bought dont carry any beer because the line goes inside the extension - all they do is give me more mounting length.

Long shanks arent just required to get through thick doors. They have a greater thermal mass and help to keep the tap on the outside of the fridge at a cool enough temperature to give a good pour.

Here's how I did my fridge djackal.

Removed the door seal & lining & fitted the shanks. Refitted foam into the air gaps alongside the shanks when finished.
DSCN0927a.jpg

Refitted the lining & door seal. Holes for the tubing are the same diameter as the tube. In hindsight I should have oversized & fitted grommets.
DSCN0930a.jpg

Worked very well & has now been replaced with a freezer set up.

Cheers

Dont like the tubing you are using - Looks like Bunnings - not propper Beer Line.

A mate of mine used taht for about month - then cam e and got beer line off me - said it tainted his Kolsch - once my line was fitted - Kolsch was perfect.

I've got the inside of my door off but have discovered the door is insulated with some fibre mats not unlike roof insulation bats.
This process is turning out to be not as straightforward as I had hoped.

Quick question what width is standard beer line (8mm or 10mm).
I'll post some photos soon. cheers

I use 4mm ID beer line - it works fine.

Latest posts

Back